axe kick questions

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by shs111, Aug 4, 2012.

1. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

And for the record I like the Ax Kick when used by people such as the late great Andy Hug.:)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is something that will need qualifying then, because that would answer the question definitively

Which body is the "official' one? That would be a place to start

Additionally the reason you might not see it could be down to common sense rather than legality...same reason you don't see many "dragon tail sweeps" in MMA :)

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

While I don't agree with you completely on this subject I agree with this, haha.

4. Hannibal

Axe Heel Kick (เตะเข่า) Tae Khao (previously mentioned by Rebel Wado)

So logically it IS part of Muay Thai, with whether you like it or not being a separate issue

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Tae Khao means knee kick.

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

There are western Muay Thai associations,but as I keep saying I follow the Stadium Muay Thai and everything Ive learnt from Thailand is that it is not a Muay Thai technique.

7. Hannibal

I though that was Tee kao? Although to be honest I am not big on Thai language...I barely speak English being from Manchester

8. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Tae is kick,Khao is knee so you have knee kick, kick knee,I see how you thought Dee Khao is knee kick Dee is hit so Dee khao means hit with your knee,I speak thai but it has a Geordie accent lol.

9. Unreal Combat

According to Rose Gym in Thailand it means Axe Heel Kick.

http://www.muaythaibox.com/basic-techniques/

Knee is Kao. At least going by their techniques list it is. So you would be thinking of Tae Kao?

I don't speak very good Thai (I know a little as I have a friend in Thailand who helps me to learn), but that's how I seem to understand it going by the list of techniques provided (along with my limited knwoledge of the language).

And with that you have a Thai gym that recognises the Axe Kick in their list of techniques.

Edit: I notice on another page they also use Khao for some Knee techniques. I can see where this can be confusing.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I dont get that one! Tae =kick Khao= knee, for a ax technique in Muay Thai we usually say saap which means to chop(saab)we use that when using ax elbow or sawk saap(saab) heel is son tow.so Tae Khao cannot translate as Ax heel kick,perhaps whoever put the website together got it wrong,for example they have sawk sub for the elbow chop,they have mud for fist technique which is maat or maad.

Its very hard to translate to direct english words,ask your Thai Friends see what they say.

Its late Im off to sleep or pom bai norm lol:)

11. Unreal Combat

Admittedly I am not an expert. Actually I will ask my Thai friend when I get the chance. She should be able to tell me as she trains in Muay Thai in Bangkok also (she is actually pretty hardcore for a tiny lady). If anyone can get it right for definite it's a Thai person, lol.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Yes I agree:)

13. Unreal Combat

Fire Cobra you are correct. My Thai friend said that Tae Khao means a kick to the knee.

I've forgotten what she said Axe Kick was (I sent her several videos of Axe Kicks and then asked her what the technique was called in Thai), but what she said wasn't anything suggested in this thread (unless she has the Thai name of the technique wrong also).

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Your Thai friend didn't say "tae ko hok" did she?

15. Unreal Combat

Sounds familiar but I cannot remember. Honestly. I've actually asked her since to ask her Muay Thai instructor for the correct Thai for Axe Kick. Should know within the next day or so.

She thinks I'm very weird for asking her all these questions all of a sudden. She's a good girl though and after a quick explanation she agreed to help us all out. :D

Just sent her a message asking what Tae ko hok means also. She's probably asleep at the moment though, lol.

16. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Well.. I'm a qualified instructor in muay boran and muay Thai with the board of physical education of Thailand and iv never heard of axe kick in muay Thai
    I'm sure there is a literal translation of "downward heel strike"
    The fact we have to do so much research suggests it probably is not a Thai boxing technique or if it is, it's dying out much the same as other boran techniques have due to their lack of effectiveness.
    It is a legal kick, but so is any kick you can think of.
    Common and unique to muaythai style techniques score higher so the art keeps its identity ; and rightly so in my opinion

17. Unreal Combat

Re: This question.

Tae (kick) Ko (neck) Hok (broken), roughly translated means neck breaking kick (according to my friend).

I could think of a scenario where that could be applied to an Axe Kick (you see a good example of this in the film The Expendables actually).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012