Attacker Choking you from the Front both hands around your neck.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

you know how us fella's get when the testosterone is filling the net air...
    makes me want to go out and kick someone in the stomach just thinking about it!!!!
    ha,ha,ha.,. j/k

salute

2. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I wasn't thinking of the sleeper hold but more for someone with the hands around the neck, make sense?

3. Guerilla Fists

OK, I got confused early on, I was thinking he was choking from behind.
    Earlier someone said that if he was chocking from teh front he would be using foward momentum. Well just use this momentum. Grab at the wrists if his shirt is too far away. Tuck and roll backwards placing a foot in the gut and kick him over. Once you take the fight to the ground and land on top he is all yours. This is a very effective tech from judo called Toy Mo Nage. I think that is how it is spelled. Anyway, this one and ogoshi, the hip throw, always work for me in charging situations.
    The beauty of it is there are no strikes involved, you use all his momentum to destroy him. End of story. This also compensates if your strikes can't reach him for him being too far away.

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

<comic relief>
    KILL EM ALL!!! AND ANYONE WHO LOOKS LIKE EM!!!
    Huh? What? Did I miss something</comic relief> :D

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

The danger of it is your performing a sacrifice throw which will require you to make contact with the ground (and have a clear path behind you). Assuming that this is a SD situation, I personally wouldn't go to the ground under those conditions. Theres no easy way of knowing what (or who is behind you). Additionally, there's still the issue of getting up from the sacrifice.

It's a great idea, but works much better on the mat than tacitcally on the street.

- Matt

6. shifu tiger

shifu tiger enter my circle of death

hey hannibal my good friend brown flow made some excellent points and i agree with everything he said. yes try an not let all the shou shu hype get ya down we're just very very possitive and up beat about our art. i never or any other shou shu student mentioned anything about "kill em all" good judgement should always be used, i was referring to the worst case scenarios. "kill em all" should be used when, a gun is pulled on you, someone breaks into your house to harm you or your family, you know as well as i all the different scenarios that requires "kill em all" so i hope all that is cleared up.salute to all of my shou shu sisters and brothers

7. Seeker

Seeker New Member

The following is a move from the Shou Shu low yellow belt material (not all schools have adopted the yellow belt).
    Front Choke A
    Attacker is choking with both hands from the front
    Left arm crosses and grabs attackers left elbow
    Pull left arm down while sinking collapsing attacker’s arms, right ridge hand to groin
    Step forward with right, right crossing elbow to head
    Right piston elbow to head

There used to be a Front Choke B but is was removed from the card for various reasons.
    Front Choke B
    Step back left to lock out attackers arms
    Double ridge hand to elbows
    Grab at elbows while going in to a cat stance
    Slide hammer his arms, yanking him forward and down while snap/thrust kicking him.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I suppose it's not that much different than my "arrest 'em all" approach!

Re-reading my posts I was a bit, well serious really. Must have been a "heavy" day at work or I wouldn;t have sounded like a pompous ass. Happily everyone at MAP is allowed "off days" so it doesn't matter!

Bahala Na!

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The way I was taught to deal with this type of attack (front standing choke) is to place the inside of the foot - usually quite a sharp part of the shoe - just below the attackers knee and scrape down the shin. This will probably take most of the skin off, if not it'll still hurt like hell. Then follow it up with the ear-clap/ thumbs in the eyes combo. If they're still standing, either knee to the 'nads, heel of palm to the chin or a headbutt. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it'd be effective, especially if the shoe in question happens to be my 14 eyelet steel-toed DM boot :cool:

10. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

LOL! Yeah, one of the things I enjoy about the southwest is that people wearing cowboy boots aren't unusual at all. Some pretty nasty heel strikes for an assailant to catch. Talk about a concealed weapon :D (Kiss your toes goodbye) :p

11. animalguy

animalguy Valued Member

standing up right?

1.raise your right hand ovr your head on the outside of his left arm,
    bring your elbow across his left arm toward the center (turn your body a bit to the left or step back with your left foot), put your tricep on his elbow joint and not your elbow because it could slide off, drop your weight only after you have dropped your arm (snap and then drive), step back with your left foot if you haven't already, this should stretch out the assailant just a bit, push your weight toward your left foot and heel flip the bad guy in the groin, then elbow with your right arm three times to the face. that should fix em.

2.raise both hands and pull your elbows into your center trapping his arms eye strike with both thumbs, drive him away and snap kick to his groin

3. push your head down trapping the thumbs, continue to lean over and aim your head under his right arm (your left side), hit him in the groin with your right hand as you step through to his right side with your right foot, heel hook to his face with your left foot.

4.snap kick to the groin with your right foot, step behind yourself with your right foot and drop your left arm on his elbow and sidefist to the face with your right hand. (phoenix a)

ss-ites
    1.snap kick left foot, rising knee
    2.knife edge right foot, phoenix b with a left sidefist after trap
    3.front choke a
    4.snap kick right foot, clawing ridge
    5.snap kick either foot, midas head with advancing daggers begining

Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  12. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

I'm still finding it amusing that you guys think of this choke as a "problem".

BJJ has no defense for this choke. Why? BECAUSE IT BLOWS. It's a truly craptacular choke. We're too busy defending RNCs, guillotines, triangle, lapel chokes, etc.

In fact, the whole idea of self defense moves against specific grabs is flawed. In daito-ryu I learned so many defenses against lapel grabs, wrist grabs, etc.

But doing BJJ I feel much more confident against those attacks because of the nature of open sparring. In fact in a fight it would be ME grabbing the lapel and wrist rather than vice versa.

There is no "anti" technique. The only way to effectively counter something is to become it.

Counter a grappler by learning grappling.

Counter a grab by learning to clinch and grab him HARDER.

Counter a kickboxer by learning to kickbox.

13. Guerilla Fists

Hedgehogey,
    Your logic is flawed. There is always going to be someone bigger and stronger than you, so why bother trying to outdo them in their specialty? A good MA employs the economy of motion and body placement to overcome a stronger opponent with as little force as required. That's not to say the force isn't damaging, but it uses proper body placement and movement to generate powerful energy from an otherwise relatively weak person. Going punch for punch, kick for kick, choke for choke just shows who the best caveman is.

14. matreyia

matreyia New Member

well said.

Well said sir.

15. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Well I hate to tell you this but fighting consists generally of punching, kicking, elbowing, kneeing, joint locking and choking. So you're kinda gonna have to exchange attacks.

16. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

well I hate to tell you this... but your being close minded..

I agree with 8-ball on this one!

17. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

For me, fighting consists mainly of grabbing whatever is near me and smashing it over my opponent's head, then kicking him while he's down. Do you train for that one?

18. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

If your exchanging attacks on a single opponent then your not hitting him hard enough or fast enough once he initiates his attack. I like to use the Pres Bush method that if his hands are moving im striking. most know this as Pre-emptive strikes.

Salute,

19. TM77

TM77 Valued Member

Best hope that your opponent isn't HIV+.

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Recently filmed a fight scene using this attack.
    Feed ur left arm through the attacker and grab (his) left part of his head. ur right grabs attackers left hand at same time.
    Side step right and twist wrist while pulling down on head.
    The attacker should be bent over with you standing behind, ur left hand holding his head down, and ur right twisting the attacker's left arm.
    Of course the character in the movie is only using it to hold someone down and slamming the head onto a table. (move is done in one swift motion)

In Pak Mei, the first set we learn is Jik Bo, which kinda deals with a similar attack.
    Between attacker's arm, left spear hand strike to throat, use same hand to grab collar, pull towards and right cross (phoenix eye) punch face.

and yet another way...

knee/kick the nuts,punch nose, push down and stomp ribs.

if your pushed against the wall (the most commonplace where this choke happens), just push the attacker's chest with your feet (both if possible), the use of the wall should help, no way his arms are longer than ur body . Also works on floor.