At a loss

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by orysin, Jun 12, 2006.

1. orysin

orysin New Member

Whats the best martial arts to study if you want quick results in strenth and speed, I know martial arts like Aikido take time to learn. Are there any martial arts that are quicker?

2. gornex

gornex Valued Member

naturally as a wing chunner i have to recomend wing chun. The style is simple and designed to be learnt quickly.

3. Deviatingtao

Deviatingtao Valued Member

I'm no expert, but from general knowledge, none. If you want quick results in strength and speed, exercise and practice a lot. Style is not going to matter for that. If you just want to learn a style quickly? Can't say, but learning a style in a rush may not help you the way you're looking for.

4. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Muay Thai, there isnt a billion forms and moves for you to learn. Theres knees, elbows, punches and kicks. Simple yet effective.

5. Desk_Driver

Desk_Driver New Member

a) The level of progress you make in terms of strength and speed will partly be determined by how often you train in your chosen martial art.

b) Typically with the majority of martial arts, the actual building up of strength and speed comes from the exercise you do around the actual practice of the techniques, as Deviatingtao suggested.

You can practice a punch or a kick as much as you like to improve your technique and perhaps speed, but exercising the arms and the legs through resistance machines or an alternative will be more benefitial to your strength.

6. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

The Law of the Harvest applies. You have to tend the fields before your reap the harvest. There is no short cut to hard work, especially for strength and speed.

Other than that, I think it a question of what your goals & interests are. Muay Thai is quite different from Judo. Martial Arts for Dummies (or Complete Idiot's Guide) is a good resource on several styles. It should be available at your local library.

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Weightlifting-Do
    And
    Run Fu

Though MMA, Jiu-Jutsu/wrestling classes and boxing/kickboxing classes have a heavy emphasis on speed and strength.

8. James R

James R New Member

Systema is built around accelerated learning - it brings stuff out of you rather than imposing stuff upon you.

A lot of people don't understand it at all, but it works and it works well.

I am teaching a young lad (8 YO) some basic Systema stuff, because he was getting a lot of physical bullying at school and his dad brought him to me as a last resort (well, it would have to be :) ). After only a few weeks of practise he sorted out ALL his bullies.

Systema is cool. :cool:

J

AFTERTHOUGHT: Wasn't really addressing your needs: you want strength and speed - Systema is for self defence and close combat.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  9. CinMike

CinMike Valued Member

Yep. My MT class is an extremely good workout and strength is focused on in the beginning of each lesson with bodyweight exercises. I also lift weights outside of my MT class, but if you are looking to get stronger and faster (and learn how to fight effectively), go Muay Thai.

10. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

maybe a boxing, or like others have said muay thai

11. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

I would go for kickboxing or thai boxing!

Good for speed, power, strength and fitness in general really!!

Tom

12. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Bravo well said..If you have SUPER powers of retention it could help i.e. being shown a kata or technique ONCE and it becomes INSTANT knowledge...

13. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

First off, whats avaliable in your area? Just give us a quick run down, and we'll let you know an approximation on the learning time of basic techniques. Also, what is your reason for wanting to learn Martial Arts, is it just strength and speed, or is there another reason?

But yeah, you want quick reasults, then look into Wing Chun or Muay Thai. Wing Chun is typically a more self defence oriented system, and Muay Thai more geared towards sport/ring fighting. But both are extremely effective if training correctly.

14. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

Krav Maga

15. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

Muay Thai will have you confidently using tequniques faster than most M/A

16. elektro

elektro Valued Member

Boxing.

17. wado nasskc

wado nasskc Valued Member

Karate is good i started it and am now stronger and faster plus its wicked but also i think that boxing will give ya quick results

18. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

What?!?! He said a quick to learn art.
    Karate takes a long time to master - it involves kata, combination work, forms, etc. which take a long time to learn.

Don't get me wrong, though, karate is an excellent martial art - just takes time which the guy doesn't want to take. :rolleyes:

BTW, which style do you practice? - I practice kyokushinkai

Back on topic:
    Muay Thai or Boxing.

Preferably muay thai as it teaches you to use more than one part of your body. :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006