Asthma and Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by wrydolphin, May 10, 2004.

1. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I wasn't sure where to post this.. here or in the health section so if I have it wrong, I'll apologize right now.

I have recently been diagnosed with asthma related to allergies. Since I have never had breathing difficulties before I am having problems adjusting. I have managed to keep it from being detrimental to tournaments and classes, but the last tournament I went to was pretty bad. It was this Saturday and my lungs still ache from the attack I had after the grappling portion of the tournament.

So, the questions seem to be, if any of you have asthma, how are you controlling it and how are you keeping it from affecting your training?

If this has already been posted and I missed it, you can also just feel free to direct me there.

Thanks.

2. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I used Salbutomol and Becotide.

You may need to get rid of pets (if you have any) if the situation gets really bad, clean the house more etc. It can come and go. Right now I don't really have it but I've started jogging recently so I make sure that I carry my inhaler with me at all times.

3. Tashin

Tashin New Member

I have asthma too, and I have five dogs. If you have pets that you simply cannot part with, don't worry. You get used to after a while-your body will build up an immunity(or partial immunity) to it.
    I'm on three medications for my asthma-I take singular, a powder inhalation thingie, and an inhaler(albuteral). Generally I find that breathing in my nose and out my mouth when running(or grappling) helps to prevent getting out of breath so much that I have to sit down.
    Also-if your asthma is due to allergies, and you aren't already taking an allergy medication, I recommend asking your docter about Allegra. It really works wonders for me.

4. wrydolphin

Thanks, Tashin.
    I do have two dogs, but as far as I can figure, they aren't the source of my allergy. I believe it to be some form of mold or fungus that is growing in the environment or at my workplace. I usually only get bad when the humidity is up. I do need to get myself on some sort of allergy medication I think, I just have problems with side effects, mainly that I cannot sleep when I take many medications. I also have ADD so many things with seditives make me hyperactive. I am going to try going to a new doctor soon. Hopefully moving will help as well.

5. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

I was considering posting this like last night
    I have really bad asthma and sometimes every year I honestly come close to death.
    its not a fun thing.

6. wrydolphin

Mine isn't that bad, just painful when my lungs decide to not work. How do you cope with it while training? Do you just bring your inhaler? Have you found that training helps you control it?

7. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

I wish I could help you, but i'm still waiting to start martial arts :)
    but with physical exercise....I dunno, just allways take your meds, eat healthy
    do lots of chi breathing I think and lots of swimming.
    does wonders.
    don't expect it as an instant cure..
    oh yeah, pray to Jesus.

8. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I usually keep my inhaler on me just in case, and usually I can work through it, or I have to slow down. I have excersise and allergy asthma but not heavily. If its allergy related asthma, then a hot shower and a change of clothes helps me a lot coupled with some of the inhaler medication

9. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

Use of the inhaler before activity can sometimes make a world of difference.

10. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I've been hospitalised several times because of my asthma, one of which I nearly died!!!!!!!

However, it doesn't really affect me during training. In fact the only time I ever feel I need to use my inhaler is when we go for runs. :cry:

Swimming is supposed to be excellent for asthma, except, like all chimps, I can't swim :cry: :cry: :cry:

11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

i dont have asthma, but i know that at least 20 people in our karate club do, and one of my mates started to have an asthma attack during one of his fights in our last competition. he didnt have his inhaler with him at the time, but he just had to chill and take deep breaths for around 5 minutes. it was only mild, but his mam went off it that he had forgotten the inhaler. our Sensei doesnt mind asthmatics, and if anyone ever needs to take a break and have their medication, they just have to bow and get it sorted.

12. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

interestingly I think that karate has greatly helped with my asthma, I suffer far less now than I did when I started karate.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've been training for 19 years with asthma. And allergies. And all that nonsense.

I used to simply carry my albuterol (or proventil) inhaler, take it before workouts, and later as needed. But then my doctor prescribed advair. If I were you, I'd ask your doctor about it. I kid you not, that stuff has completely changed what it means to have asthma as far as I'm concerned.

Stuart

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

While its not something to ignore, it can be dealt with. I have exercise induced asthma, so strenuous workouts are killers. So I use an inhaler about an hour before class and I have only had problems one time. Check with your doc and go by his advice.

15. wrydolphin

That's lot of great advice, thanks guys. I think the upshot is that I might have to go back to the doctor and try to get things worked out better. Thanks again.

16. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

it is very much so
    my health practically skyrockeded(Well, more like improoved) when I did speedswimming

17. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

You say you never had breathing difficulties before and were recently diagnosed with asthma.

What triggered the asmtha? What have you been doing differently now, that you have never done before? If I may inquire, are you female or male?

18. wrydolphin

Its on my profile, but female.
    I think that what triggered it is that I have moved into a new area and my allergies have gone haywire ever since. I spend about 80% of my time stuffed up and feeling cruddy. Its pretty humid here and I grew up in what ammounts to a desert. Anyway, I hope that this is what triggered the attacks.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Many people "grow into" asthma these days. I've had it for about 16 years. But I'm noticing a lot of my friends developing it as they rolled into their mid 20s and early 30s.

20. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

So your move is the only thing different?

You do the same exercises, your daily regimen is still the same? You have not started any new medications or foods?

Would you mind giving a detailed description of how the asthma attack affects you? Exactly where is the pain? Is it in multiple locations? Is there a particular sensation that precedes the asthma attack? Does an action on your part seem to precede the asthma attack? You laugh or cry and the asthma starts up? Do you feel any particular emotions when you have the attacks?

I don't know if this is allowed or not. Please don't punish me if it is. Just delete this line from the message. That is fine with me.

And if you are uncomfortable answering, tell me I am rude and intruding.

Are you a sexually active person? Has that changed from before and after the move?
    I mean no offense. Please do not have a negative reaction. I am asking becase I believe it is pertinent information.

And no it is not a pickup line. I am guessing we live on different continents. And I am an old guy losing his hair and starting to smell bad. ;)

You know, on thinking about it, if I am too direct and you don't want to answer any of the questions, that is fine. As long as you read the questions and apply them to yourself, you may find out on your own what the problem is. Someone just had to tell you what to look for. We all need to be taught things at various points in life.