Artist takes on Grizzly

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ladyhawk, Dec 1, 2002.

1. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

2. Cain

Cain New Member

I saw that video b'fore and so did yoda .rite Yoda ;)

|Cain|

3. Cain

Cain New Member

ANd sure that's damn funny as hell :D

|Cain|

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yep - sure was hot in that bear suit :D

5. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL!!!! :D

|Cain|

6. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu
    Just goes to show that the bear should have ate porridge !....

It might sound and look stupid a man fighting a bear but someone did, a martial artist by the name of Willie Williams, away back in the 1970's.
    He became a legend in the Kyokushin world not only for fighting bears but also for being the only non-Japanese person to ever have a Japanese Karateka back down and away during the knockdown fights.
    Williams is still known among fight fans for his encounters with bears and the rather bizzare "freestyle" fight with the Japanese pro-wrestler Inoki. The bear fighter with his bear-like fighting style gained a third place in the Second World Tournament, but was unsuccesful in the third.

Osu
    Paul Paterson
    1st Dan Jiyuseishinkai
    2nd Dan Kyokushinkai
    Section Keeper
    Glasgow Zoo.

7. Cain

Cain New Member

No offense, but it sounds like more of a fairy tale

|Cain|

8. paul paterson

Osu
    I am afraid not this is genuine and for real, please check Kyokushin websites for Willie Williams or ask someone who practices knockdown karate. The facts are real....

Osu
    Paul Paterson
    1st Dan Jiyuseishinkai
    2nd Dan Kyokushinkai
    Section Keeper
    Glasgow Zoo.

9. YODA

LOL! I've got the video. It's a trained karate guy playing with a very much tame & very much trained bear. A real bear would have torn his ******* head off in about 3 seconds.

I can't believe people fall for this crap.

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Do you have bears in your zoo Osu

11. paul paterson

Osu
    Yes we do have bears in Glasgow Zoo, Asiatic Black Bears, that weigh roughly 500lbs, and have the average intelligence of a 10 year old child.

The video shows Willie Williams sparring and wrestling with a brown bear, the bear has been trained but is not domesticated. No animal is domestic apart from the human kind, ainmals are wild, including those in zoos. And yes, a bear could tear you to bits within a minute or so. However, did anyone argue when Mas Oyama killed the wild bulls and chopped of the horns ? I think not.....

Paul Paterson
    1st Dan Jiyuseishinkai
    2nd Dan Kyokushinkai
    Section Keeper
    Glasgow Zoo.

12. YODA

Mas Oyama was an innovator and an exeptional martial artist. I have found his books to be very inspirational. As with many such men, however, fact has turned into legend and legend has turned into myth.

Here is what The "Electronic Journal of Martial arts & Sciences" says on Mas Oyama...

=================
    1952:
    A Korean known as Oyama Mas (birth name: Choi Yong I) joins the Chicago-based Pro-Wrestling Association and tours North America.

From the late 1930s to the early 1940s, Oyama had trained in Goju Kai karate under So Nei Cho in Tokyo, and during his travels through 32 US states, he reportedly challenged anyone in America to fight him for a winner-take-all purse of $1,000 per match. Yet one suspects that Oyama did not go out of his way to find worthwhile competition, as the Pakistani national wrestling champions Joginder and Arjan Singh were also traveling through North America during 1951-1952, and also offering $1,000 to anyone who could beat them. And somehow these various parties never met.

There are many stories told about Oyama during this period. "The story about Oyama fighting bulls is not true," says Oyama’s student Jon Bluming. "He never met a real bull, for he never visited Spain. [Though he did apparently visit Mexico.] I also doubt that he was gored, for he never told me about it, and he used to tell me everything.

Kenji Kurosaki was there, and he told me what happened. They went early in the morning to a stockyard in [the town of] Tateyama. Workmen prepared a fat old ox for Oyama by hitting one of its horns with a hammer so that it was quite loose.

Oyama did not kill the ox, he only knocked off the loose horn. Bill Backhus and I saw the 16mm movie in 1959. Oyama himself showed it to us. I told Oyama to never show this film in Europe because it looked too phony, and everyone would laugh at him. As far as I know, nobody saw that movie again."

13. paul paterson

Osu
    As with all stories there will be some tall lies told however, with Oyama of whom I met and saw perform when I was a young student of knockdown. There are many non-beleivers out there who know of the great 10th Dan but have never trained with him or with his senior instructors. Some of his students did stick the knife in his back and say many untrue things, your own piece on him shows the lack of honour and respect for the man and yes, a legend. After training with Sensei Tadashi Nakamura and talking about Oyama, I began to a more gentle and at the same time hard man. Especially when Oyama sent a hit man to kill Nakamura because he broke away from Kyokushinkai, yet Nakamura held no malice against him. I have seen many feats in the martial arts and I have met some of the great artists but none come close to the man himself who we call "God-hand".

Kenjo No Bitoku
    (With true strength comes humility)

Osu
    Paul Paterson
    1st Dan Jiyuseishinkai
    2nd Dan Kyokushinkai
    Section Keeper
    Glasgow Zoo.

14. Cain

Cain New Member

Oh brother :rolleyes:

Wat really matters to me, Cain, is that Bruce Lee could kick Oyama's a$$ :D

Edited 'cause of censorship ;)

|Cain|

15. LOL!!!!!:D:p :D :p :D :p :D Silly old bear!

Fuzzy Panther
    :Angel:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  16. YODA

Hey Paul

I don't want you to think in any way that I disrespect Oyama. Like I said in my post he was an excellent martial artists and a true innovator.

It's clear from your last post that your system suffers from the same political cancer that seems to infest all arts to some degree - very sad.

17. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

hmmm....all this gets me to thinking???

I wonder how a martial artist would do in a real encounter with a wild animal.

I know one thing for sure, ya might as well prepare for battle, because depending on the wild animial, there's no way you'll out run him......

With that being said, I wonder.....what do you guys think...
    I think it is possible to defeat an animal such as a lion or tiger, or bear, etc.... if confronted in the wild without the use of a weapon.
    I really do think so,

but now lets here you all comment on that....

18. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Oh my!

OK, trivia time...what movie did you just think of?

On the serious side I think a wild animal has the advantage because he is going strictly with survival instinct and has no emotions involved.

19. Cain

Cain New Member

In that case I would take up Tarzan style :D

|Cain|

20. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<OK, trivia time...what movie did you just think of?>
    guess it was "The Edge"
    starring Catheranie, anthony hopkins n doh(i forgot the last name)
    why rabbit was not afraid?? :D
    -TkdWarrior-