Article from "Black Belt Magainze" on aikido vs. aikijujitsu

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Spinmaster, Jan 7, 2009.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Just takes more punishment to take them down and their state allows their bodies to receive more punishment. Next day in rehab??????

regards koyo

2. Morra

Morra Valued Member

I never said your aikido contains polka moves nor that you can't make aikido work, I said just the opposite, you CAN make aikido work. You can make ANYTHING work after you palm strike someone in the face.

Next time you want to quote me, why don't you just quote me instead of twisting what I said.

Please make your responses even more abrupt (by not responding at all.)

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If someone has miss-quoted you Morra feel free to correct them. But don't be rude about it. There's no need.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I just looked at them too. Why does everybody in an Aikido photo trying to show a real world situation always look like a rejected extra from an episode of Starsky and Hutch?

My advice in this thread to all Aikidoka is comb your hair, trim the moustache, always carry your Huggy Bear to English dictionary and stop reading Black Belt magazine. :bang:

5. Morra

Morra Valued Member

Well, there is a need: they deserve it. How would you feel if someone took some of your words, left out others, and said that that was what you said? And that guy has been very rude to me- I don't see you giving him suggestions to be polite.

Just be fair, mate...

6. koyo

Did you notice that the technique which has him screaming in pain was the same technique that he said he had to modify to make it effective.

regards koyo

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Not Aikido, but I think a relevant story. My Kajukenbo instructor started training in C.H.A. 3 Kenpo Karate (a brother to Kajukenbo). These guys trained full contact in class, and I mean bare fisted knock them out, blackbelts beat up the white belts. It was very tough and brutal training. The relevant story is that many of these students were heavy drinkers of alcohol. My instructor told me stories of drinking before class and seeing others taking shots (drinking shots) before class. I think people today don't really know what it was like to train in a brutal martial art, the frame of mind and the things people did to themselves to prepare for it. I'm not saying all did it this way, only that the fact that it was done this way seems to be forgotten or ignored in our times of political correctness.

As for the lumberjack, it appeared to me that he was a person strong enough to power his way out of the lock. This happens all the time when training in MMA, it should sadly not take 20 years to figure out that the first thing that needs to be tested is how well something works against someone that is much stronger. Using size and strength to counter a technique is the very most basic and straight forward approach... how can anything thought to be practical not consider this in everyday training?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  8. koyo

Hi Rebel

I remember one guy who had to take a quick drink to pick up the nerve to attend fukushidoin classes under Chiba shihan. If the smell of drink was noticed he really got the stuffing knocked out of him.

I don't drink so as a "reward" I got the stuffing knocked out of me. Catch 22

regards koyo

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  9. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

To be honest, I don't think koyo has been rude to you. You started things off by making insulting generalizations about aikido - and you did say "you can't just make aikido work; you have to bash him in the face first". Koyo has been doing aikido for 50 years or so, IIRC. You would probably get much more out of the discussion if you presenting your thoughts less-insultingly, then people would be entirely willing to show you why you may be wrong, or consider that you may be right.

10. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

True; perhaps it would be more correct for me to say that it is easier to achieve basic proficiency in striking than grappling? (note, by "grappling" I'm more referring to stand up grappling like aikdo locks, rather than groundwork. I actually find groundwork more natural than punching and kicking, personally).

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I didn't see anybody telling you not to contribute.

Now this is a warning to the thread. Keep it civil. MAP is an open forum that welcomes contributions from everybody.

Here is a link to the Terms Of Service. Those unfamiliar with MAPs rules should read them.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

No I wasn't paying attention. I was looking for the 80s Miami Vice bikini babes. But to get back on topic. I believe there were a few words said about the need to smack someone in the face to make a technique work?

Atemi is a part of Aikido. It's an integral part of every Aikido technique I can think of. Even if when watching the Aiki bunnies hopping around in the Aiki clouds it's not immediately noticeable I can guarantee it's in there. It might be highly stylised an ineffective in a real situation. But it's there. So even the Aiki bunnies haven't managed to do away with atemi completely.

To my mind the "technique" isn't just the fancy bit in the middle that gets labeled as ikkyo or nikkyo or whatever. The technique is the whole movement from the first perception of a threat to the neutralisation of that threat. I would also say that Aikido isn't a system of techniques but rather a system that concentrates or at least used to concentrate on dealing with principles.

Not lofty high minded stuff either. Simpler down to earth stuff like where things bend and in which direction, how to manipulate balance. Techniques are used to demonstrate these principles and help people learn them. At least that's how it should be.