Arnis Kali ....??????????

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Buddroux, Jan 19, 2004.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

this is getting better all the time! ever thought of writing mark wiley to correct his book?

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

You know that's not a bad idea:D

I reckon that if we put our heads together and published a book like this, then promoted it in the USA, a lot of people may well beleive what is said in the book. What a fun way to make some money:D

Regards

Pat

3. dennisservaes

dennisservaes New Member

This thread was made into Please read the Terms of Service. Using the * Key doesn't make it all right . Congratulations.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2004
  4. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Okay, allow me to apologize for my part . It was only meant as a joke.

But honestly, there aren't any good books on the origins of the FMA. If you're serious about studying FMA in the context of Pre-Hispanic Philipine history, then you should study the general history of that time period and not just any tenuous connection to what might have been the roots of FMA. And if you want to study pre-Hispanic Philippine society, the names you should be reading are F. Landa Jocano and William Henry Scott, not (with all due respect) Dan Inosanto, Mark Wiley or even Romy Macapagal.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2004
  5. Esgrimador

Esgrimador New Member

I think we're all familiar with Jocano and Scott (and FWIW, both are used as sources by Wiley).

6. Diego_Vega

Really, then let me add another name, Laura Lee Junker. I saw Scott mentioned in passing, but didn't see any footnotes for Jocano.

7. shootodog

fma'ers are known for two things. gameness and a sense of humor. when one lacks the other, it usually is very sad. back in the old days, in this country many were killed for having a serious lack of the former.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  8. Pat OMalley

Oh Dear. you take things so seriously some times, As mentioned before most good FMAers' tend to have a sense of humour and in essance we are only laughing at ourselves here.

If you cant laugh at yoursdelf, then you have no right to laugh at others. And when you have been hit on the head with Rattan as many times as me (many by myself I might add) you have too look at the funny side.

I suggest you go out and get yourself a sense of humour, it may well improve you FMA.:D

Regards

Pat

9. Diego_Vega

I don't have a sense of humour.

Okay back to reality.

Martial arts are said to be a reflection of the culture that produced them. When you have groups of Filipinos together, each of whom is holding a weapon, and nobody is joking around and people aren't laughing, then there is definitely something to be worried about. :(

10. shootodog

<runs for his life>

oh yeah. that is so true.

11. Pat OMalley

<Hides behind Shootdog>

You can say that again. 1992 at the WEKAF world Championships in Manila springs to mind and a very angry Chris Ricketts and his group:eek:

But I'm still here:Angel:

regards

Pat

12. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Talk about a most embarrassing moment for FMA!!! Now that I think about it did it not involve someone from UK? We as a people appologise again :eek:

13. shootodog

that was you that master topher rickets got angry with? man that story has been going around in manila since then!

14. dennisservaes

dennisservaes New Member

Nothing wrong with Humor, but sometimes we make jokes out of things that need discussed. Here in the U.S. some of the best FMA teachers don't run their schools like a business or as well as they could be doing, like the Koreans and Japanese styles do. So what happens? FMA stays as an add on art or in the ghetto out of someone's garage or backyard, or if they get lucky enough they teach at someone else's Japanese or Korean school (maybe the owner bought his black belt from some guy that never got into a fight in his life except against the class weaklings in High School. Now that he is an expert at Karate he wants to learn FMA for free. It's their school and you are just there 'cause they let you be. They will sell Karate for $50 per student per month or whatever and if the student says he wants to learn FMA but only has $50 per month he will tell him sticks will come later or children shouldn't be taught sticks and weapons. That he doesn't encourage that sort of thing. But if the FMA instructor was to speak against the Karate he would be out of there quick. One day you show up to teach your 13 students and there are 60 kids in Karate Uniforms already training in your matt area and the owner of the school says he "had to make a change in scheduling of classes," and the students look at you like why are you here being so disrespectful to my instructor!

Some things you either get it or you don't and explaining things doesn't change anything until it is time for a change. Well, is it time to bring FMA to the prominence it deserves?

They have Karate coffee mugs, Karate Jackets, Karate gi bag, Karate Shoes, Karate Calendars, Karate After Shave, Karate cartoons, Karate Magazines, Karate action heroes and it doesn't stop. Contrast that to FMA- we'll get an article out eventually to Black Belt Magazine that will get people involved.

You won't hear nothing about Karate originally was from Canada maybe Mars or God or an Angel but probably not Canada. That's just not funny!

Train hard and have fun!
    Guro Dennis Servaes

15. shootodog

it isn't?

16. Pat OMalley

Don't appologise, looking back on it now, it always brings a chuckle to me old heart, and like anything in competitions, things get said and people do things in the heat of the moment that they don't realy mean. I too could be guilty of such acts in the past.

It's all part of competing and training for such events.

I have had shoving matches with GM Dionisio Canete in the middle of a world championships because we have disagreed over something stupid and people have run for the hills thinking we would come to blows, what they did not see is the next day I would be sharing breakfast with him at his dinner table and we would be laughing about it. You got to love the Filipino sense of humour:D .

Reagrds

Pat

17. Pat OMalley

Hehehe, yeah, all over an abaniko strike too.:)

You will have to tell me the story that is still going round Manila and I can tell you how seen it from my side of the head protector.:)

Many Americans run to the hills that day, I can tell you:eek: Many Brit's too I may add:mad: Only me John Harvey (UK), Vince Palumbo (Australia) and GM Navales (Bacolod City, P.I.) and his group left standing in a group in the corner of the stadium opposite Master Ricketts and his group:eek: :D :cool:

Memories, you gotta love em.

regards

Pat

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  18. Pat OMalley

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

But of course it's not, Canada eh!, we all know Karate comes from Belgium:eek:

19. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

I think our new friend Dennis here does not know how things are viewed in this forum. First of all most of us know each other here in cyber space and have a friendship going hence our propensity to make light while sharing interesting points of view and yes Dennis, It was quite a funny story so lighten up. :D I mean can;t you see how the famed historian Vin Diesel? C'mon that's funny! it's sarcasm or maybe the same as Tommy Lee Jones in the Hunted interview saying that the system Sayoc Kali is based on the fighting arts from Malaysia. As you can see these men misquoted or put in their own interpretation of the info...hmmmm wonder if there's any relation to misquoted claims like Kali is the mother art or from Tjakalili or Kali is from the Danno tribe....get my point?

We understand your passion to promote your beloved system and art....we all are passionate about "our" art and try to have mutual respect for each other's unique systems so making finite claims as to the origins or claims of which can't be proven will be questioned as stated before, we're all passionate about the FMA and you may be preaching to the same choir and this choir my friend is also very well learned in the History of our beloved arts. People have gotten away with making claims or telling stories in the old days but today with the use of the web people are better informed and can verify anything or research deeper into history .

I understand your eagerness to share but also know that with honey you'll attract more bees and bears :eek: what the heck am I saying . I mean , I too was so zealous in my ways and only pushed people away from my art because I sounded like I had all the answers and my way was the only way...this is cyber space and we can't prove much in the ways of skill but only words so let's sound friendly and have the willingess to agree and agree to disagree.
    FMA's time has come. But I also don't understand your wanting it's prominence in comparrison to karate? I could not even stomach the thought of my beloved FMA in a mcdojo commercialized teachings especially to kids.
    it was an art passed on to family systems, maybe taught in backyards ....so what?! The best ways to learn were done that way. No commercialized belt systems for commerce or testings or uniforms, just a teacher passing on ancestral arts to his student. How much more soulfull passing on of an art do you want? Those who have learned the art can feel the pride knowing they have learned it for themselves, Not for others to know that you know it. I think that's a little superficial don't you? Unless of course you are trying to make a living out of teaching FMA...then that's a whole different story becasue now you have to follow the rules of buisness and commerce and that 's what mcdojo's are about. but you may ease up and know this....

In the 60's it was karate, in the 70's with Bruce Lee it was Kung fu, the 80's you had Tae Kwon Do and Kickboxing, and into the 90's with aikido segal's way the 90's was gracie jujutsu, shooto and muay thai interms of popularity and demand. Since 9-11 the reality of what weapons can do has brought about a rethingking of MArtial and combative arts. Guess who's turn it is?

peace out bro, welcome to the FMA forum :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  20. Pat OMalley

Well said Bayani, Your words are as ever enlightning:D

If only more people knew just how much the Filipino's laugh when they are teaching and training, and as a matter of fact just how much they laugh in life then maybe more and more would begin to understand not just the art but the culture that has given birth to this wonderful art and why.

The Philippines is not known as the island of smiles for nothing:)

As the old saying goes "Laugh and the whole world laugh's with you":D

regards

Pat