are you taught to extend your tegatana?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ranger, Feb 6, 2004.

1. ranger

ranger New Member

are you taught to extend your tegatana every time you do a technique? i saw a video clip of Chiba shihan extending his tegatana even before receiving the shomenuchi from his uke. then another clip Chiba shihan also which he just waited the uke's attack and just placed his hands in his hamstrings or just his side i think and just reacted after the uke made his move. any thoughts? :)

i'm just sorry i can't attach this clips because of invalid field extension. :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I think we've covered this topic mate use the SEARCH facility

Don't bother B/C i'm a nice guy.. here it is...

Other thread

3. ranger

ranger New Member

sorry

but actually i'm asking a different question. what i meant by extending your tegatana was placing your hand in chest level and the other hand below breast level like doing a fighting stance. so for sensei and students out there do you teach or are taught to extend your hands as if in fighting stance or just place your hands in your side while in hanmi/triangular stance? how about you sir (Dave Humm)? do you teach your students or what does your sensei teach you about this?

in our dojo what is taught by sensei is to assume a stance where you just place your both hands to your sides prior to any attacks. he explains that this is a non intimidating stance full of opening for the uke or opponent to attack and once he is committed in his attack it is difficult for him to retract. (or so this is i think what he said) any thoughts? :) by the way, thanks for the reply

Good day! :)