Are people you know online friends?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by StorDuff, Aug 6, 2004.

1. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Dunno if this has been discussed, but do you feel that someone that you only know through the internet could be considered a friend? I don't think it is the same as a friend you know in real life, but most of my real life friends I only talk with them, I never bother engaging in social activities. Much like my 'online friends'. It seems like the same kind of relationship, but it just seems odd to think of everyone I know online as real friends. [​IMG]

2. Tika

Tika New Member

If you look down at similar threads...youll see the "how well do you know your online buddies" thread. Pretty much the exact thing youre talking about.

3. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Yeah, i think so.

People from MAP though??? Now, the word "friend" seems so strong....

Jokin people! luv ya all really!! :p

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

thinking someone as freind??
    I m wonderining why u r asking this question?
    because you are afraid?
    afraid of getting hurt or loosing something or someone...

trust yourself.
    -TkdWarrior-

5. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I suppose it depends on your definition of friend. Many people have a very loose definition and consider anyone they interact with, even on the internet, on a regular basis, in a friendly manner a "friend". If that is your definition than yes, you will consider many people your friends.

I have a much more strict, demanding criteria for what makes a friend. I don't know if I can even be eloquent enough to express what I mean by this. A friend is more than a conversaitonal companion or someone you share a hobby with. A friend is someone who knows you, loves you and wants the best for you. A friend is someone who thinks of your well-being first and sincerely wants the best for you. A friend is someone who always gives you benefit of the doubt and gives you a chance when you didn't deserve it.

So are my internet buddies "friends"? Some of you I consider very dear and I would like to consider you friends, others you are wonderful acquaintances that add to my life but I know that it is purely on online scenario and has no real signifigance outside of said setting.

Did I even come close to answering the question? Do they make an immodium for verbal diarrhea?:p

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

you might want to check out the thread Tika mentioned:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17415

7. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Yeah I can't beleive I missed that. Odd that I was thinking the same thing, maybe it's ESP. [​IMG]

8. Tika

Tika New Member

This is more my definition of a good friend. Which is why I only have one:)... For me, the people who I consider my friends are people who I talk to a lot and who I care about and who care about me. I deffinitely consider some of the people I talk to on the internet friends. And that one good friend, he is from the internet, Ive been speaking to him for 8 years, met him once. Sometimes I think he knows me better than I do.

9. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

I would say yes because, though I dont "know" the people on this site
    I log on and enjoy seeing good news from you guys and telling my good news.
    And when ever Im *blue* It never fails, I can log on and ALWAYS leave MAP with a smile on my face.
    reminds me of the camaraderie in KF class with a bit of a *twist* hehe
    Best,
    KFG

10. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

Agreeing with Mrs. O on the definition of friend here. I have 3, whereas there are a whole load of people I hang round with or talk to. I consider these varying degrees of "mate".