Archbishop of Canterbury labels atheism as trendy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Gary, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/blog....coolness-of-atheism’-archbishop&s=Opinion

http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.o...ishop-rowan-and-frank-skinner-in-conversation

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Wow! I've never been referred to as trendy before.

*Does the iconic travolta dance and goes shopping to Ikea*

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Sigh... some people are just beyond help.

Also, is "trendy" still the word to use? I thought it went out of fashion at least half a decade ago.

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

well, that's kind of petty and dismissive.

5. Gary

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty petty statement too, especially since he's confusing an increase in popularity with a fashionable craze. The "dog bites man/man bites dog" analogy was pretty good, though I fear I took that to mean that the church has always been very outspoken and people are more interested in vocal atheism because it is a change. Besides which most of the attempts to make religion cool to appeal to younger people have been downright embarrassing.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Why is he trying so hard anyway? He still keeps his pimp stick to smack the ass of the choir boy with. :/

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I can't stand that man. IMHO he is an idiot.

8. Knight_Errant

You can't dismiss religious views, oh no, that's disrespectful. But you can dismiss atheism all you like. Makes me sad.

9. draconacticus

draconacticus Valued Member

The man is a complete buffoon.

I think it's rather insulting to suggest atheism is a fashion. I think why it is gaining in popularity is due to that fact we can now prove many of the claims made by religion to be false and people aren't as gullible as they used to be.

Organised religion to me is just a protection racket selling afterlife insurance.

Go get a proper job Rowan.

10. Gary

I often wonder how many atheist or agnostic members of the clergy are stuck in their position, no belief in god left but with no other marketable job skills.

11. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Probably fewer than you imagine, given that prior bachelor's degree is a prerequisite to even get most seminaries talking to you; also, many people who go into priesthood do so around late twenties - early thirties, after having already worked in a professional capacity.

Not that you don't get your fair share of dumbasses anyway, obviously, but they're usually thoroughly educated dumbasses with past work experience. Unfortunately.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Church attendance has dropped because the church is no longer the heart of the community. Out of sight out of mind.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

According to the poll quoted in that article atheism is declining, not growing in popularity so the whole discussion seems rather non-sensical.

The church has no need to fear losing members to atheism, it's the growing number of people who describe themselves as "spiritual" because they got a room fung shway'd and like to wear their lucky mood crystal rather than giving any kind of deep thought to their beliefs who are depleting the Church congregation. They no longer feel like they have to attend church to be special.

Though I too am sincerely enjoying the thought of being trendy; my atheism is piff man, dem churchies is bear nang bruv. I believe.

Mitch

14. Knight_Errant

Can't stand 'em. You can RESPECT an enemy like the pope, but not those spineless little...

15. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Ecuse me, I am not 'trendy' Educated and open minded more like. Screw you for saying that, Rowan.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I agree, and I wonder if we as a society are missing something as a result.

I'm not religious, and I certainly don't think that people should attend church if they don't believe. But I've been thinking lately that we have lost a part of the 'social glue' which binds communities together. Could a secular equivalent be found?

I think we're seeing a similar thing with the demise of the local pub. Round my way everyone just seems to mix with their own friends and family because the traditional meeting places are disappearing or not being attended. We're becoming more and more socially isolated.

Thoughts anyone?

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's your round.

Mitch

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Pint of Black Sheep?

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think to a certain extent you are right about this. I have a number of friends and relatives who go to church and they seem very involved in organising and participating in local community events and supporting the older folks in their community. Nowadays a lot of people stay home and do their own thing in the evenings and weekends, whereas in the past maybe more of them would have gone to church or the pub and known what was going on in their community from these activities.

Sports clubs can provide a social setting as well as the sports. I know my Judo club often organises events/days out for the kiddies.

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Good points. I remember with fondness the sense of community that existed in the church I went to as a young lad. You really felt part of something - not in a spiritual way (or at least, I didn't at that age) but in a social way.

That's true. But as good as they can be, social/sports clubs are minority interests. It would be nice to have something that brouight the majority of us together in some way like the church used to.