applying better aiki to ju jutsu

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by warren, Feb 1, 2004.

1. warren

warren Valued Member

how can i apply aiki to a throw,what i really want to know about is the foot work.
    example if i have an uke who moves forward and throws a right haymaker type punch to the head with his left foot forward is it best for me to adopt a right foot forward stance to allow me to turn in quicker to throw so that i can merely deflect the strike and keep momentum in my uke rather than block the strike then have to reapply kuzushi,also i feel i can then eliminate some of the steps required to get in to position and still maintain good balance

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

You really cannot think of stances and foot placements as being "right or wrong" Granted in early training you will be shown how to move, stand and adopt posture however, over time this should become second nature and in effect you hold no posture at all, you will simply deal with the situation at hand.

The bottom line with regards to your question however, your foot placement will depend upon the technique you wish to apply, the direction you intend to move, how fast the attack, the nature of the attack. etc etc

3. warren

warren Valued Member

i agree with what you have said,though i think what i'm trying to get at is if i'm trying to blend with my attacker and execute a right handed throw such as ogoshi or as you might say koshinage it seems easier and faster to have my right foot forward which isn't the way i was originally taught,i'm just experimenting with my foot work and trying to get some feed back from people with an aiki background so any advise welcome.

4. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

it sounds like your uke is throwing a reverse punch (cross punch) haymaker style and im jus having trouble visualizing it.... if it were a haymaker with right hand right foot then i would agree with the o goshi or ippon seoi nage (ju jutsu)... but with the cross punch its a little harder to do the o goshi maybe a hiki taoshi if you stepped squared to him but i digress...

im thinking your basic question is doing a technique if your stance is squared (left stance/left stance) or if you're toe to toe (left stance/right stance) to the uke and interchanging them.... as far as the ju jutsu/ judo side i feel that if doesn't make a difference its just a matter or pivoting more on the front foot or doing a left sided technique (really hard to describe)... as far as the aiki side i feel that the stances dont matter because ive done techniques during randori in my aiki class regardless of the uke's stance what mattered mostly was their force

i feel that o goshi is more ju jutsu/judo then aiki...maybe if a lock was performed beforehand or some type of unbalancing before the kake of the technique that aiki side would help your ju jutsu

5. TheMasterSword

it sounds like your uke is throwing a reverse punch (cross punch) haymaker style and im jus having trouble visualizing it.... if it were a haymaker with right hand right foot then i would agree with the o goshi or ippon seoi nage (ju jutsu)... but with the cross punch its a little harder to do the o goshi maybe a hiki taoshi if you stepped squared to him but i digress...

im thinking your basic question is doing a technique if your stance is squared (left stance/left stance) or if you're toe to toe (left stance/right stance) to the uke and interchanging them.... as far as the ju jutsu/ judo side i feel that if doesn't make a difference its just a matter or pivoting more on the front foot or doing a left sided technique (really hard to describe)... as far as the aiki side i feel that the stances dont matter because ive done techniques during randori in my aiki class regardless of the uke's stance what mattered mostly was their force

i feel that o goshi is more ju jutsu/judo then aiki...maybe if a lock was performed beforehand or some type of unbalancing before the kake of the technique that aiki side would help your ju jutsu

6. warren

warren Valued Member

thanks for the reply mastersword,the stance uke takes is left foot stays forward as uke throws a right cross or haymaker similar to a boxer,i feel if i block then pull uke to unbalance before entering that this isn't using uke's momentum to its full advantage,i would rather just enter and deflect the punch and try to keep uke moving thru out the throw,with this in mind do you think it would be more practical to have my right foot forward rather than my left foot to make for a more efficient turn in.

7. TheMasterSword

i would say try the left sided o goshi with a left foot step in, and complete the pivot to throw...

jus a lil side note my judo side likes to parry that punch and come in for a o uchi gari or ko uchi gari because cross punches usually involve pivoting on the ball of the base foot (perfect to reap :D )
    my aiki side would well do anything hehe prolly intercept the hand, unbalance, and kote gaeshi i guess
    my ju jutsu side would intercept stepin closer to the opponent strike to the lower ribs then go for a ju jutsu ippon seoi nage

jus examples of how anything can occur...

im wondering... is the reason you're doing the o goshi because it's part of a kata or the curriculum?

8. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

In the situation described above I would probably redirect the hook with the right hand and then use an osoto takubi nage to take advantage of his left leg being forward.

9. warren

warren Valued Member

mastersword,
    i'm not an aikido man the art i practice is aiki ju jutsu,i'm basically just trying to apply more aiki into my basic techniques because i feel it will make my techniques faster,more efficient and more effortless and thought as my questions are aiki based the aikido forum would be the best place to post them.

10. TheMasterSword

ok i think i understand now...

anyways let's see a koshi nage more aiki and less ju jutsuie...

from my experience with ju jutsu - o goshi.. we usually block (and our blocks are almost strikes), disrupting the attacker then going for the hip throw... nice

with aikido - koshi nage .... it could be done with many variations (like a standard judo throw with the hip cocked out or my personal fav that i will explain, over the back part of the hip much like a kata guruma except over the hip)... the main pointers for the koshi nage is if someone comes in with a haymaker, redirect the force, or if you block earlier (not the striking/stopping blocks we see in aiki ju or ju) go into a two hand grip (these are varied in aikido) from a clockwise motion w/ right over the top of wrist and left comes under to perform the clockwise motion (again very hard to explain unless done) then we apply the ever favorite kuzushi.. but its important when entering the koshi nage to do it when the opponent back to straight or starting to straighten up... you enter low and apply the technique... this is seem in many techniques were the tori will whip the uke around w/ back bent and legs trying to catch up and as soon as the uke tries to regain balance and stand up straight the tori enters low always maintaining control of the arm that was intercepted

basically the main difference in aiki and ju is the mindset... aiki ju or ju will try to confront the opponent with "striking" blocks, strikes, then go onto the throw

aiki is non confrontational.. aiki will try to be passive and even let the opponent continue to come out you and we simply redirect until the opportunity comes when we can apply technique to nullify the force

hope it helps... trying out an aiki class will def help 10000 times better than any explanation we can give

11. TheMasterSword

12. warren

warren Valued Member

thanks mastersword,not really what i'm trying to do but very nice.
    also thanks for the description you gave as to how you enter for koshinage i've actually done an entry very similar to the one you described,do you think i could also get sweeps and spring hips with this entry.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  13. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Both clips illustrate clear technique but are done so with complete complience from their Uke, and don't represent, practical application. IMHO