ANYONE READ BLACK BELT MAG? (I Miss You SurgingShark!)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TigerAnsTKDLove, Dec 15, 2003.

1. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

do any of you read black belt magazine???? i do and i just love it!!!!!!!!!!!

*I miss you SurgingShark* thanks for ignoring me lol

BLACK BELT MAGAZINE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! :D

2. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

i used to...not anymore...it's full of mcdojo crap nowdays to be honest.

3. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

MCDOJO CRAP? could you please explain that 2 me thanks... hey.... my master aint a mcdojo or else i would'nr be reading this magazine.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Make sure you when you read something its with an open mind. All of these so called 9th and tenth dans with they're own "new" style of martial arts with their "secret" death touches and such is all crap. Take anything you read out of Black Belt and Tae Kwon Do times with a big grain of salt....

5. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

i noticed there is a lot of ads for "OFFICIAL SUPER SECRET TRAINING SYSTEMS" from "EX special forces" and stuff like that its kinda a joke

ne1 know of a good mag though?

6. Buxton TKD

Buxton TKD New Member

I always read MArtial Arts Illustrated by Bob Sykes and crew. Not only is Mr Sykes a respected MA's also looks at every topic thoroughly but also with an open mind.

I thought Black belt was ok, but prefered MAI.

Tae Kwon

7. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

Black belt is OK, I read it when I was younger, I still browse through it from time to time, IMHO the most valuable sections are the monthly columns. The articles are too short and too broad most of the time.

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I read a few magazines here and there. I subscribe to Black Belt, which I usually find as a pretty good read, although usually too general or staged for much of the applications. It's still a pretty good read.

I used to read "Martial And Combat Arts" or whatever the tile was.. they ended and replaced my subscription with "Grappling" Magazine. This magazine is Okay, but a lot of the stuff is pretty general or staged, Also, half the magazine is Matt Furey's ad and/or columns and results from BJJ competitions. Some of it is pretty fun to read, but I probably won't re-new.

Sometimes I pick up a copy of Taekwondo Times or Inside Kung Fu, sometimes they have good stuff and sometimes not.

I tried reading "Budo International" and some of the related issues. I really didn't care for these... tended to be mostly pictures of stuff that I most likely wouldn't use myself.

I like reading magazines and sometimes get ideas from them. Mostly I read them for entertainment purposes and to keep my mind open before going to class. Of all the magazines I read, I like Black Belt the best personally.

9. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I love reading magazines, and I agree that blackbelt, while entertaining, is a little on the crappy side of things.

Best MA magazine I get is "Inside Kung Fu." Even if you don't practice CMA it is chock full of interesting stuff.

10. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I like it but i also like Tae Kwon Do times.

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Another one that I read is Classical Fighting Arts put out by Dragon Times. Their website if not familiar is www.dragon-tsunami.org .

12. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Dragon Times rules!!!!!!! Black Belt was good but now is crap for McDojo masters to invest in........

Anyone else hear that Dragon times went into a new name?

13. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Ive never heard of it. Where can you get it.

14. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

journal of asian MA has some decent articles every once in a while. but it's quarterly...

15. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I subscribe to Blackbelt, and mostly just read the opinion parts, and the letters. I don't even attempt to learn techniques from the magazines, but sometimes I'll see one and say, "oh we do that," or "That looks really dumb to me." The articles where people explain their style as more realistic, or ours is better because we do such and such irritate me. On a final note there are way to many ads in these magazines, it's ridiculous. Especially the "I can make you defeat anyone on the street overnight, if you buy my 10 video set for $500, and I bet people buy them too.

16. TKD Girl

TKD Girl New Member

I read it sometimes. More just for something to do, I find that almost the whole mag. is all advertisements. Which kind of makes me mad but what do you do, I guess they need to get money from somewhere and that is where they get theirs from.

17. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

anyone have back issues of BB? November 1982?

18. TKD Girl

TKD Girl New Member

Nope sorry.

19. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Every time we work on techniques in class and something does'nt work or we decide that it is just plain silly someone will say "send this technique to BBMagazine. They will love it"
    By looking at the magazine from time to time I learn that the tequniques my sensei teaches are so supperior to any of those described in BB Mag. I feel sorry for anybody that tries to use some of the Mag techniques in real situations. Or I should really send my condolences to their families who are mourning their passing.

20. imawimp

imawimp New Member

My favorite ad in Black Belt is the full page ad that has a headline something like this "Tennesee Mountain Man Discovers Ancient Chinese Secrets of Chi Force and Manhood Enhancement"

I gotta meet this guy.