Anyone on MAP fear flying?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hiroji, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I do!

Ive just booked my flights out to Australia for the 17th march...im not a very keen on planes so im bricking it a little!

Anyone else have a fear of flying? how did you best deal with it?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Drink seems to be a popular option. I'd have thought a valium might help.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

A bit of a drink is good. Dont go too overboard, otherwise they wont let you on the plane.
    Also will you be stopping off in HK/Malaysia before landing in Aus?

Lovely places if you can sneak off for a few hours.

4. Moi

Of course LSD has been proven to cure the fear of flying. Just pop one about 2 hours before you are due to take off, you'll be fine:hat:

5. Hiroji

yeh i have tried the drink option before, it did help! although i seemed to sober up as soon as i sat on the plane! i have never flown on a plane that has decent entertainment though so that might help take my mind off it a bit.

yeh stopping off in Hong Kong although not much time between flights!

6. Moi

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zgQGfBOnh8&feature=related"]YouTube - The A-Team On A Jet Plane[/ame]
    You are in good company

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm fine with flying, it's the crashing that freaks me out.

8. Hiroji

Smart ass! lucky you, its both the flying AND the crashing that freak me out.

The thought that any moment a window is going to give way and everyone is going to get their insides sucked out as if through a straw, or a panel on the roof is going to suddenly blow off taking me with it, or the landing gear wont come out when landing, or an engine is going to explode ripping off the wing and in the process sending the plane into a horrific, violent plunge to the earth terrifying everyone on board in what is their certain last few moments alive.

Perhaps meditation might help? Along with high amunts of medication?

9. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

It's not the flying. I love flying.
    Crashing blows.

But, my biggest fear of a long distance flight is getting stuck in the same vicinity of the fat freak family;mom,dad,brother, sister, dressed in their matching Magnum P.I Hawaiian shirts,complete with complimentary mustache(how was supposed to know they were ALL real?!), sandals with socks and last but not least,dad's wafting aroma of the last fermented bottle of Hi-Karate after-shave that has been stewing in his sock drawer since 1972. Mom's wearing par-fume du pepperone'.
    I have the window seat.....
    and they have gas.

that's fear.

10. Hiroji

Great, thanks for that...

...dosent help that im flying out on my own, what if they...befriended me?....AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

11. Mushroom

What airline you going on?

I went on Air New Zealand and it had very good in flight entertainment. I managed to watch about 3 films before I passed out.

Oh, yeah....dont sleep for about a day or so before you get on the plane. You'll end up sleeping at least a few hours on the plane.

12. Hiroji

Hey Mush, Its with Cathay Pacific Airways, i think they are a honk kong based airliner? All i know is the flight from London to HK is a jumbo, so should be ok.

Im flying from manchester to london first...thats the flight im worried about most...what if its a sheddy propeller plane by coconut airways?! lol!

i might try that not sleeping thing, might be worth a try. I have had trouble sleeping on the plane before so might help, cheers!

13. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

lol...........

Sounds like youve been watching too many bad movies.

Chances are you are you'll get in automobile accident on the way there rather than on the plane. If you survive the car ride, you'll survive the plane ride.

And also... think of it this way:

If something DOES happen in the air... its not like you can do anything about it :)

14. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

I've never flown! I think i would be a little nervous the first time though. However, knowing my luck it would be the worst flight in the world (bar crashing i would hope!).

15. Mushroom

Oh I used Cathay Pacific loads of times, they good. Short leg room tho, of course stereotypically us Asians arent usually in need of leg room.

If youre freaking about Manc - London then why not train it to London?
    1) takes about the same time
    2) probably cheaper
    3) theres still the fear of crashing

16. Hiroji

well...im getting the train to the airport...how safe are they? lol

I guess its all in the mind, i have flown a number of times and i have been fine, i just think in the last 4 years ive watched too much air crash investigation. I went to Greece last year and i was actually shaking before take off, and i kept nodding off and dreaming i was falling through the air, wasnt a nice experience!

17. Hiroji

Oh well im only a short ass 5'6" so i should be ok!

im not too bad about the manc flight now as ive found out its a 757. Im getting the train to manchester though....:confused::)

18. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

H, you'll be fine. Even tho you are a short ass like me, just make sure you don't pull up the rear of the plane where you don't have any room to recline your seat ;) Even we need to recline a bit :D

Although if you are like me and have trouble sleeping on long journeys, then just stand to the rear like I did when flying to Oz. At least you get to keep the blood flow in your legs going!!

19. Kris x

Kris x :-p

I think if your really frightened the doctor can give you a pill to calm you down before you go x

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

What exactly is it you're afraid of? It's no big deal. You get on board, buckle up and go to sleep. Then occasionally growl at the idiot beside you that keeps wakening you up. Or you can spend your time checking out the female cabin crew.