Anyone heard of Brian Kushner of Roundhouse Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by rudai123, Sep 21, 2011.

1. rudai123

rudai123 New Member

Noobie hear, so apologies if this in the wrong place.

I am currently a yellow belt in Karate, wrestled in college, and looking into taking some Hapkido. This place is near me: http://www.hapkidosites.com/rma/index.cfm?

Any thoughts?
    Are there "forms" in Hapkido?
    Sparring?

Many thanks!

2. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

I looked this guys site, and I'm not going to get into it...but you should look at more than one school. I think it's highly unlikely that anyone on MAP is going to have had any direct experience with this instructor.

There are usually no forms in Hapkido, but some styles do incorporate them. For Sparring- again, it depends on where you train.

A quick google of "Columbia, MD Hapkido" gave me several hapkido schools that look like they could be okay at first glance.

3. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I am a hapkido instructor and I teach several different forms kuk sool, Tukkong, etc. I say try a class, who knows? I see that he is a first dan, so you want to make sure that there is qualified master presiding over rank exams, etc.

4. roundhma

roundhma New Member

Hi Convergancezone. This is Brian Kushner. I saw your reply and appreciate your opinion about my website. However, I am not sure how that determines whether I am a good teacher or not. I choose not to be a BIG commercial instructor. I love Hapkido and truly love to teach. I get many "thank you's" every week. I constantly hear how I helped improve students lives from adult students and parents of child students. Am the best teach and martial artist in my area...? Nah. Am I very good..? Yes. I know this because I have been told many many times. I know this because I have almost 100 students with no advertising only great respect and reputation in my area. Not that I always need to work to improve. Again I appreciate your opinion and would love some private advice on improving my website. Please email me at briankushner@roundhouse.com when you get a chance. THANKS!

5. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Hey Brian, thanks for your reply and a description of your background. Your description of your school and classes certainly puts things in perspective. I apologize if I jumped to conclusions. Any school with close to one hundred students has an instructor that must be doing something right.