Anyone have knowlege on hemophiliacs doing full contact?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Kenpo Kicker, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Ok I have Hemophilia A with a clotting factor of 24 or 25 (I forgot!). This is very high clotting factor 8 for a hemophilia. I did not find out until last year when I tore a hamstring (I am 21 so they didn't figure it out with all the accidents with blood I had until then) . The doctor told me no full contact sports, but I cannot live with that good enough. I don't want to die so I'm wondering if anyone is good on this subject to let me know some info for nhb tournaments and if it is too risky or the doctors over protective.

It killed me when my bjj instructor said they are going to train their students for full contact at their school they are opening up :( . I want to teach ma but I feel I need to do full contact and need to be creditable in order for me to teach (prove myself to me and students). I have done two point fights and that is not my personal belief. I did em for fun. I won one lost one. When I was doing them I felt like really fighting rather than using cheap moves to gain points :( . The whole thing sux, and I don't want to promote it to gain students. I feel nhb would help that out rather than ********. It would be different if I wanted to teach point fighting but I would rather teach street effective stuff. I see the tournament as a great test and learning experience for me (not in it for the money or career). Well I would use it for my career but not in a nhb career in my school I want to have. Thx for the help.

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Hi! Let me start by saying I too have a clotting disorder, not nearly so serious as Hemophilia though. I have von Willebrand's Disease which is the most common clotting disorder even though Hemophilia is the most famous. I also miss a factor in the clotting process and have a mild-medium form of the disease with some unusual presentations. I also bleed excessively when injured and have learned to adapt. I would never dream of training full contact because frankly the grief and pain of bleeding into my intestines and joints isn't worth it.

I really don't know what advice to give you except for that you will probably have to compromise. Training full contact isn't the be all end all of MA, you can still learn, contribute and teach in a valuable manner without being full contact. I know it probably isn't what you want to hear but until they come up with a cure or some reliable way of keeping us safe we have to live within certain boundries.

So train as hard as you can AS SAFELY as you can, work with your doctors and trainers and you can probably still have a satisfying training experience. And support research! Let everyone know that good, important research is going on all the time and we can all support it. Local Hemophilia Societies can probably help you out more than I can. They usually have great support groups.

Sorry, wish I could have helped more! :)

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Your post has as many questions, is your heomophilia acquired or congenital. The numbers you posted can mean a lot of different things depending on the test you took. If you know those things it'll help a lot. :)

4. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

doh thx i'll find out what the which one it is dunno. I never had internal bleeding ever in all the fights i have done.

5. totality

totality New Member

many bjj teachers do not teach nhb stuff. if you're ok to do bjj, then stick with that, and be as good at that as you possibly can. you can still teach, if that's what you really want.

6. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Mine do but I just take straight bjj with them.

7. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

Hi Kenpo Kicker

First of all Haemophillia is hereditary, you should definitely NOT do full contact or joint manipulation. A serious injury for others will likely kill you. With smaller injuries you will bleed into your joints and this will ruin the rest of your life. All injury repair will take far longer because of the bleeding. You MUST inform your instructor of your condition and he should not allow you to train and will not be covered by his insurance if he continues to teach you.

My wife comes from a long family line of haemophillia who have all suffered from this kind of ignorance. Any training should be careful with no contact. You should always have supplies of plasma handy in the case of injury and someone that appreciates your problem and can inform authorities and know what to do if you are unconscious. You should also make sure that you wear an alert tag with the relevant information on it 24/7.

I've watched too many haemophilliacs suffer and die because of ignorance (usually from a brain haemorrage). Join the Haemophillia society now. http://www.haemophilia.org.uk/

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

There is a nhb figher with this disease. Noone in my family has been diagnosed with hemopilla a (i'm thinking it's such a mild case in our genes that it goes undetected). In theory my male causins also have this disease. I do hard contact (bareknuckle outside of my school) and have been injuried without a problem. I have been injuried in street fights with no problem. It is not noticeable to me that is why I question weither it is even high enough to give me a problem in full contact. The way the found out was when I tore a hamstring and it bruised (it was torn really bad and now has healed perfectly this was last year). I was too rough on it and ignored the pain (it hurt bad) and still kicked. I stopped after I went to the doctor. After that it did not take too long to heal at all. I hurt my knuckle joint and no bruises (it's healing fine think I broke something the pain was awful) . The torn tendon in my foot is nearly fully healed (the doc said it would take a very long time since I always use that tendon). I need a second opinion than a doctor. I honestly dunno who to ask though. They never told me to not do ma and keep doing what I was doing. The doc just said no full contact sports. I am going to talk to him again though. I need more info.

"From 1986, heat and chemical treatment of blood products to eliminate blood borne viruses began. A more recent development is ‘recombinant’ clotting factor, where the missing factor is produced by genetic engineering. Since 1998 all children under 16 have been treated with recombinant. Most adults in Scotland and Wales are also now being treated with recombinant"

Sob why can't they fix me now :( . At least my children can be prevented from having it. I wonder if their children (made me think about not having children) will not get it from them. My daughters will carry this disease but if it is gentically altered makes me wonder a little /shrug. They told me also there is nothing in my diet that can help. I did research and found exactly what would help. It don't help the clotting factor 8 but does help clotting for hemophilla. They told me they can do nothing to help this disease, and I found one way to help on my own. I'm wondering why they didn't tell me. I also am wondering if you have any info on them curing or working around the clotting factor problem (like a really good link). I would probly donate to it when I make more money.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  9. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

You sound really confused. You really need to talk to a good Haemophillia counsellor. It's not easy to understand. The males suffer from the disease and the females carry it. There is a 1 in 4 chance of the female carrier giving birth to a haemophillic child, watching my wifes family suffer and die we decided against having children. My wife was diagnosed as being (unusually) 48% deficient of factor 9, and bruised really heavily after competing in semi contact. Injuries also take a loooooong time to repair. She has been able to continue training and teaching and managed 4th Dan standard in karate. She teaches the children's classes in our centre 7 days a week.

So you can always train but it's important to know what you can and can't safely do. It is also vital to keep your Instructors fully informed.

Good luck!!!

You need to be properly diagnosed, and better informed and need to undergo the tests and have them properly explained to you, and preferably in writing.

10. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Yeah, I am ok with what i'm doing now. I want to step it up a notch in the future (full contact sparring or touranaments) and will have to find out more info. They pretty much just said I have it and check up in a year. They told me nothing really.