Anyone feel the urge....

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Whiper11, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Whiper11

Whiper11 New Member

To do a forward roll at work?

I have found myself gauging with i could get a forward roll happening at work. We have a nice open area in our office. I keep thinking maybe i could shoot one off before anyone realises and noone would know.

Is this strange behaviour?

2. phillipm

phillipm Valued Member

Yeah.. Thats a Great Idea .. a Diving Forward roll through the office ..
    and suprise a co worker.. BOO!! ;-)

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hahaha... never the forward roll... but I have at different times contemplated employing the left jab, right hook, left upper cut, right right cross combo. :D

4. XiaoFeiXia

XiaoFeiXia Valued Member

surprisingly i too have had this thought pop into my head when i'm at work or at uni. whenever no one is around i would think this is a good place to do some ukemi. strange.

5. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Back in the day, when I use to practise a lot any space big enough for one would have induced the urge...! :D

And when I managed my own restaurant (and waited tables) I would sometimes to a big forward roll with a bowl of soup/plate of rolls or whatever to come up right next to the customers (or sometimes stay on one knee!)...! I kid you not. :D

6. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

That one has come up with me too...! My bro did put his superior against a wall once and then walked out before they could sack him.

7. Whiper11

Whiper11 New Member

I also see trouble coming with my partner as well, everytime she hugs me, i end up trying to wrist lock her.

i think the talk is coming rather soon to be honest.

but how else am i meant to practice? surely thats a valid excuse!

8. Whiper11

Whiper11 New Member

how do you keep the soup in the plates? i dont even reckon i could keep hold of a breadstick doing a roll

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Whenever I see anyone standing with their hands on their hips I think now there is a perfect sankyo.

regards koyo

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I have an uncontrollable to kill my boss 9.15 every monday morning does that count?

The Bear.

11. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I flipped an ex over the sofa once. Teach him for sneaking up behind me. :p

12. Aff

Aff Valued Member

i've got the same problem, she grabs my wrist, i have to REALLY try and not do a technique.

usually after a class "come here a sec, i want to show you something"

it's practice

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I've actuall DONE IT in the tiled hallway. :)

Several times. :D

14. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I think of going into an ude garami henka waza from here. Thats like ****a ude garami in judo. My Tenjin Shinyo Ryu instructor showed me that when I ask why they sit with there elbows in, and hands either on their belts or thighs. Not the usual Aikido way of hands on the hips. He did the ude garami to me. I said we do the same thing in Aikido as a come along/arresting technique (hiki tate). He asked me why I sit is a vulnerable position. I had no answer. So now I sit how they sit in Tenjin.

Regards,

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

:yeleyes:

16. koyo

I must take offence at that.
    I DO NOT HAVE TO SEE THEM.

Regards koyo

17. koyo

Killing him EVERY monday would be a bit extreme but hell go for it.

regards koyo

18. jujitsuka07

jujitsuka07 Body by Pizza Hut!

Don't worry, Whiper, "feeling the urge to roll" is not all that unusual. :) I rather like ukemi myself.

Yea, I've done it with a glass of water w/o spilling. It's fun - give 'er a try!

Surely you could keep hold of a roll while doing a roll?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  19. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

not a forward roll, but i have put petroleum jelly on my boss's stearing wheel :D

20. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Well, I don't think I've had the urge to roll at work. But I have fullfilled the urge to roll at college :rolleyes: