Anyone ever used Aikido in a REAL fight?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by WhereMyRiceGo, Aug 18, 2005.

1. WhereMyRiceGo

WhereMyRiceGo Banned Banned

Any of you guys used Aikido in a REAL fight? If so can you explain what happened and what did you do? I've seen so many aikido videos but they are all Demonstrations or just competitions where one tries to trip the other. and it also seems that alot of people are deceived by the looks of aikido. So are there any videos or people who would like to share their experience of Aikido and street effectiveness. :confused:

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

See the thread Aikido application in daily life

Dude at my dojo used yokomenuchi-kokyu-nage in a bar. It was a one-punch fight. Attacker swung with a pool cue, aikido dude did his kokyu-nage thing, attacker landed on the opposite side of the pool table, and that was that. Fight over.

Girl at my dojo used sayo-undo against a purse-snatcher. He didn't get her purse.

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I once killed 3 Ninja's with my Aikido but MI5 dont like me talking about it.

4. aikiMac

Only three? Aww, Wolfie took down eight! :D

5. Slindsay

Well he has been studying a lot longer than me :D

6. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

My uncle runs a forensic chemistry lab, and so he gets called into court every so often to testify for cases that he's worked on. One time, he was called into court with someone else that he had worked with briefly - and this guy was a real nutcase (and very incompetant from what I understand).

The guy was called to the stand, and was saying something about soil samples. He was asked, "Give me an example where soil has been the deciding factor in the outcome of a case."

He responded, "Show me an example where soil *hasn't* been the deciding factor in the outcome of a case!"

So my response to this thread is, "Give me an example where Aikido *hasn't* been used in a REAL fight".

7. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

So many threads on this topic already...... but I have used it on the street and it worked for me. I'm not you, our skills and minds are different and the attacker and circumstances are different so it is always a mixed blessing when someone praises a particular MA for street fighting..

However, IMHO the training of the mind is the prime factor in street fighting success. Clarity of purpose, Confidence and Cahunas! Physical skills are, ofcourse, required, but without the mindset to use them, are useless. Give me someone with the right mental attitude and the rest is secondary. I call it 'spirit', combined with a wish to learn and a positive attitude to others.

8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

errr... aren't they taught not to fight?

9. aikiMac

Yes. That's what makes it work so well in real life.

10. littlebadboy

errr... then why bother studying the art? just training in dodgeball (to dodge fists) and marathon (to run fast after dodging) should do.

11. Skribe

Skribe New Member

well im a white belt ive been to about 3 classes so i suppose this gives me all the credit i need to talk about aikido ;P lol.. but naw.. the way i figure it aikido teachs you how to defend yourself and avoid getting injured...
    and ya its nice to be able to knock someones face in when they start a fight but its just as nice to put em on the ground w/o hurting them or getting hurt... like i said tho im just a white belt ;P.. lol tho it feels good to be one =)

12. WhereMyRiceGo

hahahaha yeah, i saw somones signature was, "avoiding a fight is the best self defence" so...why not take avoiding lessons. its the cheapest and most reliable self defense out there! lol but naw i rather fight than run, unless i have to fight a knife.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

and one day you'll grow up and hopefully mature a bit....

or alot. :bang:

Much of the best Aikido out there never involves the physical. :D

14. aikiMac

I think you mean sprinting, not marathon.
    If Terry Dobson's story doesn't resonate within you, then no answer that I have will make any sense to you. The story is within the link in post #2.

15. WhereMyRiceGo

yea , lets see u avoid the physical when u are cornered in an alley.

16. Slindsay

Lets see someone try and corner heim in Alley... :D (This one could go round in circles. <Worst Pun ever>)

17. littlebadboy

yeah... read that... and i was wondering, if aikido is supposed to not hurt the opponent, how could've that ended the fight?

18. aikiMac

:confused: The old man who actually ended the fight at no injury to anybody, he used aikido. That was the whole point of the story, actually.

The aikido guy doesn't get stuck in the alley. Ergo, we have already won.

Now, let's see you type full words, okay? It's in the Terms Of Service, you know. This is a written forum, you know. Written --> we can't hear your mouth. No sound. We can only see your written words. Think about that the next time you have something that you actually want to communicate, okay?

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

all of them deadly alleys in Saskatoon, Canada eh? :D

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

They were Aikidoka so I'd say closer to Samurai than Ninja. :p

Hmm alleyways. Well here's a question. Why are you in the alleyway in the first place? Is it a shortcut? Were you chased there? Did you have some other business there?

Dealing with alley ways has nothing to do with the style of martial arts you study. But it does have everything to do with being streetwise and having a thoughrough education in 80s horror movies. You just know they're dead as soon as they go down that dark spooky misty alleyway.

Self defence in alleyways is easy. Don't go there. Don't use them for shortcuts and don't be conducting any kind of business there. If you do happen to find yourself being chased down stay out in the open where people can see you. Where there are people the Police aren't normally that far away.