Anyone ever done MA weapons in the SCA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Combat Sports, Nov 24, 2012.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Jousting armour is not and very rarely was ever simply battlefield armour, though it could be battlefield armour with extra protection. (1 bell end at Tours apparently wore jousting armour and died unhorsed and beaten to death by peasants and camp followers with clubs and hammers).

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well it's not exactly a knitting circle I'm running. Everyone reads the annual risk assessment and is more than aware of the risk of partaking. Most of the injuries are minor and only require a few hours in hospital. Seen far worse on the rugby field.

The Bear.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I hope you've all got private medical insurance or give generous donations to your local NHS trust. It's not cool for taxpayers to fund your hobby.

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

We all pay national insurance. So we ARE funding our own medical insurance. That covers me for all my medical needs. What planet are you people living on? Nobody askes a sunday football league player if they pay private healthcare insurance.

The Bear.

5. David Harrison

If a football club had a similar injury rate I would expect it, yes. Surely you're not actually naive enough to believe your national insurance excuse are you? Does that mean you don't accept unemployed people for training?

The NHS is in crisis, there are seriously ill people who do not recieve the care they need because of budget restraints. To deliberately put yourself at such risk of injury for a hobby, without private insurance or generous donations, is immoral and anti-social IMO.

If it was once every couple of years, fair enough, but health care is expensive and you are draining resources for entertainment. Not cool. At all.

6. adouglasmhor

UK law is sometimes quite specific about "images", but not about "descriptions".

7. adouglasmhor

As opposed to draining resources because you are a pie scoffer, a couch potato, a binge drinker, a "recreational" drug abuser, a slag (male or female) who does not take precautions, a sugar junky or a thug? Shocking. We are talking about dressings and observation not massive drug bills or surgery, mostly doen by a nurse practitioner or a junior casualty doc (in the quiet times as I presume the bear does not run his classes at midnight on a weekend).

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Dude the amount I pay each month. Yes I certainly do. Given my income bracket I would be cheaper not paying tax and buying private health insurance. However, I like many, believe in giving more to my society to support those who can't afford it. That way everyone is covered.

Then so is mountain biking, bmxing, rock climbing, skateboarding, rollerblading, football, rugby, martial arts, .... etc. A completely moronic statement.

Well I don't smoke, drink, visit hookers or do drugs; I figure I'm allowed one vice of taking some rigorous exercise.

The Bear.

9. David Harrison

Oh ok, sorry. The slags and fatties do it too, so it's ok.

That's fine then.

If they're too tight to open their own wallets, at the very least an anual fundraiser for the local NHS trust would seem like a good show of appreciation.

I'm not against people doing dangerous things, but I do strongly believe that they should take responsibility for it.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The NHS is in a bit of a pickle but it's not because some mad scotsmen turn up at casualty every few months becuase they hit each other with swords.
    I dare say the casualty staff like the novelty of it.
    Probably makes a nice change from "drunk man that's injured himself number 25".

11. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

A high accident rate surely isn't being used to demonstrate a high level of skill is it? Am I misreading this? You may be training hard but with so many injuries this suggests that some or even most people there are not ready for that level of training. As trips to a&e were required I'm assuming these were pretty bad injuries and not just bruises etc...

So many injuries also suggests the risk assessment procedure needs attention.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yes it's ok, because we have a universal healthcare system. That is why the NHS was set up. If you start buying private insurance you undermine that system and you give power to the arguement that the NHS should be dismantled. Then what happens to the poor who are sick then? I've never encountered a dumber stand on the NHS ... EVER!

The Bear.

13. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

They aren't accidents. It's just the natural outcome of sparring. You cannot spar without getting hurt. Usually it's just minor cuts and bruises but occasionally it requires some medical treatment. Nobody in an MMA gym expects to leave sparring unmarked, why would we be any different?

The Bear.

14. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

As I have already clarified, the point of this thread is not to talk about what a serious martial art the SCA is. Nor was it to spend a bunch of time trolling someone's hobby or talking about how terrible it is in your view. It was about asking people if they had ever used their MA weapons skills in the SCA. Because whether or not you find any value in the SCA I see a strong possibility of people in the SCA finding value in the MA.

We have all heard how tough you are now. Can we get back to the topic at hand?

15. David Harrison

I find your excuses weak to say the least. I think you are abusing the privilege of state healthcare. Citing examples of others doing the same does not make me think any different. If we had a government that funded the NHS adequately I might think differently, but we have to live with what we've got.

16. Combat Sports

He is not the original practitioner. And again, your statement does not discredit the entire drill.

The idea is to practice a shot and follow it up with any other shot. You drill this so that eventually can respond no matter what opening is created by your first shot.

17. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Cuts and bruises etc, yes they happen. Go home, put ice on it, wear a nasty bruise, limp a while...all normal.

But hospitalisation!? What types of injuries are these?

Do mma gyms really hospitalise 25% of their members each year? Any mma club owners here could maybe let us know.

18. Combat Sports

Well, being as how I have worn REAL armor and used REAL swords I dare say your statement that it is a myth is in ? here. You could slice all day on an armored opponent with a sharp blade it's not going to do you any good.

The reason heavy blunt weapons like maces and hammers became so prevalent is that eventually armor was good enough that you could inflict more internal damage with a blunt weapon on the outside of the armor then you could with a sword.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have a very serious issue with this thread...why didn't anyone warn me that there's BAGPIPES in the first video?
    Eh? That could have ended very badly if I didn't click the mute button in time.
    Come on people...this is a family site...a child could have heard that.
    And no one wants that on their conscience.

20. Combat Sports

Yeah, clearly those guys in the SCA are a huge joke for not wanting to be hospitalized regularly.