Anyone do Yoga?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GojuKJoe, Aug 10, 2005.

1. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I'm interested in doing Yoga, and I'm interested to see how many men on here actually do it, as it seems to be mostly done by women.

2. microhard

microhard Valued Member

One friend, he is a yogaholic. So he does one of those poweryoga, basically very difficult positions. He is not very flexible, but has got allot of strength. When I say flexible, I mean compare to yogis.
    Plus it's a great way to meet women:)
    Are you afrait that someone will call you a sissy, if you do yoga? lol

3. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

I begin my day with 20 minutes of yoga, then head to the gym. I finish my workout with a yoga class. In my town it is a very nice way to meet open-minded, young, nubile women.

4. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

I used to do yoga,I think its exellent for meeting :D Girls!!

5. thir13en

thir13en New Member

I started taking a basic hatha yoga class with my wife a few months ago and I really enjoy it. Sometimes I just feel like I got a really good stretch, sometimes I'm sore all over for a couple of days afterward. I'd been interested in trying it after my first year of tai chi, but never got around to it. My wife and I were trying to find a physical activity that we could do together (she likes to dance, I like to kick and punch). I highly recommend it. My posture has improved noticably, and I learned some good stretches to warm up with.

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Been doing Iyengar yoga consistently for about 2 1/2 years now. It's really good for relaxing and stretching. It's also fairly good for learning about posture / body alignment.

As for being called a sissy, don't let anyone put you off with that. It takes a real man to turn up to a class knowing you'll be the only guy in a class with 20 middle-aged women!

7. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

You know, my 16 year old son wanted to do Aikido because he heard that it has the highest percentage of girls in it. Alas, no schools really close to us.

8. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I wasn't worried about being called a sissy, because of the whole, I'm in a class with a load of super flexible women thing. I was just curious about how many men do it.

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Yoga=good stuff :)

10. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

i took yoga1 at uw-milwaukee last fall. it was the full course and not the introduction course, so we had 2, 1:45 hour classes a week. it was intense in a relaxxing way. you do a position for about 2 minutes on each side, and while doing it you are put into a tense meditative state, similiar to when your trying to lift heavy weights. i found it to be very theraputic after having shoulder surgery since it allowed me to get needed stretching that i was to lazy to do outside of class.

it helped improve my posture and breathing since you focus on these two areas alot while doing the positions. it has helped me straigten my back out while doing wing chun and be able to focus on how my breathe is moving in while practicing wing chun.

helps your balance, breathing and posture which are all good. plus you get to stretch your body. i find it a good way to get to learn your body better, though i dont think i could go to a regular class.

i do about 5-10 minutes of yoga a day though and it helps alot when im sore.

11. CosmicFish

Fair enough. It does tend to me female-dominated though, and I should admit it kinda puts me off sometimes. I can be the only guy who's turned up near the start of a class and as soon as even one other guy turns up I feel relieved.

Interestingly enough, in two of the main places I practice, someone has tried to organise a "men only" class. In both cases it failed due to lack of interest.

12. phutchins

phutchins New Member

Following on from this discussion, I would be interested to know what Yoga positions people feel most beneficial to complement their martial arts training?

I have attended a few Yoga classes and although I have not been to a class for a while, I do try to do some of the stretches still, one of which being the Downward Facing Dog (it's the only one I can remember the name of!).

Thanks.

13. zanflad

zanflad Banned Banned

i have done hatha yoga on and off for a few years,

Iyengar and Ashtanga are good,

you get lots of fit birds who are really into themselves doing Ashtanga

14. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

having all the hot women in my class, gave me more reasons to go to my yoga class, how is that a bad thing? hehe.

you feel much more comfortable in yoga, after the first few days when the girls in your class start farting because of the yoga. yoga is very relaxxing, almost to relaxxing for some people hahahaahaha.

i don't see how this is a bad thing though, all i can say is toughen up. if the girls can do it, hopefully you can to! imagine being a girl in a male dominated sport and how intimidating that would be.

why are people so phobic of girls?

15. CosmicFish

It's not phobic of girls, but being the odd one out in a group.

16. Adam J

Adam J Masked Ninja

When i first started Kickboxing, i was only one of two blokes in aclass of about 20, the other guy who had also just started , already had great kicks, it turned he had done yoga, i've been tempted to go to a class for a while , but i do feel put off, by being the only bloke