Any training technique to Prevent Adrenaline dump?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Philosopher59, Jul 15, 2005.

1. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

LOL

I love the way you put things mate.

Yeh, I seriously dont think training in a cold pool would do anything. The only way to get used to adrenalin is to fight, period. Hard sparing will sort you out much better than kata in a pool will.

2. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Well, if you havent tried it, id suggest you shut your ignorant mouth slipthejab, sound good? And knighterrant, im well aware that there is no better training for it than getting into real fights, but i wasnt going to suggest he go out an start a bunch of brawls just to gain some control over the adrenaline.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!
    That's your credible evidence?
    No need to get your panties bunched.

The question still stands... :eek:

Breathe deep... untie the knot in panties.:D

Can you provide any kind of supporting theory as to why it works or how it works and hopefully back that up with some simple evidence as it relates to how your body produces and uses adrenalin.

You could start out by maybe explaining how adrenalin is affected by thermoregulation.. and then just go from there.

I guess you could say the point would be so that other reading this thread might actually get some useful information... not just what appears to be anecdotal nonsense.

If it's not just anecdotal nonsense then please help the rest of us to understand why.:D

Or... are you just flexing your lips online?:D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  4. NaughtyKnight

The name is "KNIGHTCOMMANDER" not Knight Errant.

Also I HIGHLY recommend that you dont have a cry and personally attack people when you have no idea what you are talking about.

We asked for credible evidence of your claims, not personal attacks. If you cant do it, then turn off your computer and take some naprogesic.

5. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

As i said before, try it or shutup. I dont know exactly why it works, but it was a training method ive heard of, and was suggested to try so i did and it worked, thats all i know, and all i really care about really. And sorry for calling you errant, commander, i got you two mixed up there.

6. slipthejab

BWAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!

That's classic.
    I'm having 3rd grade flashbacks...'You shut up' 'No you shut up' 'No you shut up'.:D

Hmmm let's see...

When asked for any real information about your theory we get:
    1)
    2)
    hunh... what? :confused: :confused:

:eek:
    Perhaps you care to enlighten us as to what actual training you did a cold pool (how cold, how long, what techniques etc.) and provide us with some situations where it worked.. be generous... tell us why you think it worked(s).

Until then what you posted would have to:

Fall into the 'anectdotal nonsense' category. Hmm.. great way to participate in a forum. :bang:

7. NaughtyKnight

Have you ever been in a fight to test your training?

How do you know it works?

8. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

Allow my 2 cents in this please :) Havnt read all the post, but it sounds like this is about traiing in cold water. I have actually used it before, and will say its effective. I dont know what it was effective for exactly as posted on this fourm, but here is what it helped me with. It helped with breathing(an element some martial arts enforce more than others). IN otherwords it was more of mind training than anything else. Though, the water is fantastic for preacticing kata and technique. It was even featured in I think Junes Issue of Inside Kung Fu Magazine in one article. The advantage is that the water provides resistance, and aids in building leg tissue and reparing it if injured. It also provides for a safe landing should you fall while practicing a kick. Another thing is the breathing i was reffering to earlier, aids in the development of lower abdonimal muscles. It sounds like BS im sure, but i know first hand its possible to get a six pack without ever doing a single situp or crunch from using this method. I got mine from doing both, but knew of someone who only did the breathing. Then I quit doing the breathing 3x a day and lost it soon after. More commonly the excercises are the yoga stomach, stomach pump, and stomach roll, among others. Check out the Farmer Burns books and courses out there for more info.

9. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

ahh ok , i see the original post now lol. Actually i am completly with albert on this one. I always felt at peace and just incredible after a dip in cold water. I have heard about its affect on adrenaline also( i think in a bodybuilding magazine or something). I do recall reading and seeing pics of japeanse and chinese monks using water on several occasions to train in.

10. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

slipthejab,

I forget what issue but i remember seeing something about the monks training in black belt magazine back in like january. And yes a big disadvantage is not having access to a pool at all, much less using it in wintertime. I only train in mine in the summer, but some people have pool cover tent thinga-ma-jigs on their pools that keep in in an enclosed area. Basically a large domed tent over the pool with a heater, keeping the area very warm and humid. I almost got one, except for the fact, i probably wouldnt use it and id end up wasting all that money for nothing. And hypothermia is little risk in the summer, but going swiming outside in the winter is pretty stupid. Even the "legendary" tibet monks that did that reaped the consenquences. I suggest trying it for yourself :) Thats usually the best way :)

11. NaughtyKnight

I have a pool and jumping in it in winter really does shock the nervour system like hell.

Doesnt feel anything like fighting.

I do remember reading about Military training in cold water immerision though.

Is Albert going to answer the questions?..............

12. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

the problem with winter is it'd probably be an overload of the shock. And im not sure why people are saying its like fighting, becuase its far from it. It is incredible for balance and stance work though(espcially if there are waves). You can basically throw whatever kick to want to, while taking time to stretch it out, and should you fall down or lose your balance, not get hurt. Throwing punches will also aid in increasing your speed as the resistance is a benefit. Sorta works the same as when boxers train on speed bags using those weighted gloves.

13. NaughtyKnight

We are talking about adrenalin and how to overcome it in this thread.

However, I agree with you on the resistent drills in the pool.

14. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

my mistake, only read last couple pages =/

15. slipthejab

kenpoguy,

I can agree with some of what you've posted. But unfortunately it's not directly relevant to the topic of the thread... which is basically adrenalins dumps and how to deal with your response to them.

I am sure there can be benefits to training in cold water and or water for that matter. However as I originally stated... I am not so sure that they include improving your response to an adrenalin dump.

I agree that there are benefits such as increased resistance, strength building etc.
    But this is another topic. Having little to do with adrenalin stress responses.

I'll add that it'd be a worthy topic of a thread in it's own right. Many different kinds of rehab use water to restrengthen muscles and tendons and because of it's a relatively forgiving environment.

What Albert posted doesn't have a direct connection to a persons adrenalin stress response. Or at least if it did... didn't feel the need to let the rest of us know the details of how and why.

He grabbed his toys and left the sandbox in a hump. :D

If Albert (and his theory) really want to be taken seriously and not have people windin' him up then we're open 24 hours for him to come back and state his case. :D

16. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

17. essentrik1

essentrik1 Valued Member

No one was suggesting he go out and start or pick fights. Fighting/sparring in class under controlled conditions. You can learn how to control your adrenaline with out picking fights in the street. No it may not be the real thing, but it's close and a lot safer.

18. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

I'm a girl, goddammit.

19. Fighter4Higher

Fighter4Higher Dark man of the unknown

Fighter4Higher - remain on topic please

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2005
  20. Fighter4Higher

Fighter4Higher Dark man of the unknown

Well Uhhhhhh.. what I MEANT to say Melanie was that uhhh adrenaline symptoms are bad and uh, the only way to TRULY manage the effects of the symptoms is through experience... Yea. Break it down now...