Any training technique to Prevent Adrenaline dump?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Philosopher59, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Rainofblades

Rainofblades New Member

I highly doubt a drug makes a person invincible. I also doubt im at a point in my training where i can deal with an opponent that doesnt feel pain. So i think i'll take ya'll's advice, but how would i know if the guy's doped up or not? i mean, its not exactly written across his forehead, and PCP abusers arent the only people that come at you screaming like enraged zombie-barbarians.

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

You will be able to tell if they are dopped. Their eyes tell all.

3. NaughtyKnight

On the note of adrenalin dumb training. The military use cold water emersion to simulate the effect of adrenalin while training. They are told to swim in freezing water, and then they train hand to hand combat straight away.

4. Rainofblades

Rainofblades New Member

swimming in freezing water brings on an adrenaline rush? I've jumped in my pool in the dead of winter (it was a dare, dont ask) and all it brought on was alot of cursing and me freezing my @$$ off

5. NaughtyKnight

Try having a really really cold shower. It supposidly brings on an adrenalin rush.

6. Rainofblades

Rainofblades New Member

ok...... im willing to try anything once lol. But hey, if it works, cool! I think i need to have more adrenaline rushes, that way i'll be used to the feeling when it comes on in a fight.

7. NaughtyKnight

It doesnt feel anything like your a fight. But its a close as your going to get.

Hard sparing is much better.

8. edges

edges Valued Member

Mostly from my training partner, a cleaned up heroin addict.

I'm no expert on the chemical actions of the body, I can only talk from experience.

Now what of my other enquiries posted?

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Fairplay as to why you'd base your knowledge on your experience.

err... what were your other enquiries?

10. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Wrong, it runs on your sympathetic nervous system, not your parasympathetic. Sorry, couldn't resist nitpicking, this is my favourite subject.

11. essentrik1

essentrik1 Valued Member

I didn't read everything, but I'm basically repeating what I did read. The most important thing is to be prepared and exposed. The system I study in fights full contact. We do this so that when some one hits you on the street, it's not a complete shock. It's still a shock, but it's "why'd I just get hit" vs. "ow that hurts" then "why'd I just get hit". You get used to getting hit and it won't affect you as much. Our style just had a fight night last night were a few different dojos got together and we fought for most of the class. I am so sore today (but not injured, just bumps and bruises). I have bruises where I didn't even realize I was hit.
    You also have the mental aspect. I'm going through this with my wife right now (she's a green belt). She has a lot of the physical part down, but had none of the mental aspect down. She didn't know how to react to confrontation/fighting. When you train, you must consistently put out 110% and ALWAYS be in the mindset that this is life or death, that this is going to save your life (for some people this isn't enough, if your one of those people, make it save your wife's life, your child's life, etc). "This reverse punch is what's going to save my life", "this front kick is what's going to save my life", etc. I've been working on the mental aspect (meditating, and making sure she trains in that mindset) for a little over a week, and while she still has a long ways to go, she is a much better fighter than she was a week ago, and it's definately not because she's gotten better at throwing a punch or kick.

Hope this helps.

Addition:
    By meditate I mean to visualize herself in these life or death situations. To basically try to pretend to be in a fight, and to try to clear her mind. I don't mean to use mediation to clear your mind after getting worked up, or to prevent it. I mean to use it to attempt to become accustomed to the dump and to learn how to deal with it. I don't know if this is scientifically correct, but I can sure bring on some giant adreniline dumps just through thought, and it seems to be helping her.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  12. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Doesn't it hit both of them? For example, isn't a faster heartbeat a parasympathetic function, while more powerful peripheral muscle contractions are sympathetic.

13. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

No, definitely not.

14. ManabiMashoMan

ManabiMashoMan Banned Banned

Wow

Ok I know what I am about to say may not sound right to many of you but you sounded as if you had a Fear dump, not adrinaline dump. The Difference is like apples and oranges. Our school teaches the differnce because a Fear Dump = Anger,Strength, Rage, and ends you in jail.
    While an Adrinaline Dump comes from already being tired or preparing to act and its just to boost your strength to continue.

It also sounds like you were being the hostile one, just because some kids are playing and bump into you doesn't give you the right to lecture them. We were all children once-remember. Also from the older brothers perspective if he did become hostile to you it may have been seen by him that he was protecting his family.

I see this situation all to much and it seems everyone needs to train in forgiveness and peace alittle more. Also if you spar and can't take out the average joe in less then 1 minute, then you should seriously reflect and think about what style you are learning. The average fight only lasts 3-10 minutes in the street. I would say seek a style that is known for taking out a person in seconds. But just to be safe make sure you can do it in alteast 1 minute of a fight/spar.

Good luck and remember the world is what you make of it, so try to use your Martial Arts as a sign of authority in peace/war situations, and always try to lean towards peace.

www.manabimasho.com This is my Grandmasters website he has over 59 years exp in M.A. and is a 10th degree black belt and one of the 15 Grandmasters over all Jujitsu. He is reknowned all over and honored in Japan.

15. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

1. What the hell is the difference between a fear dump and an adrenalin dump, scientifically speaking.

2. Which systems are reknoiwned for taking out people in seconds and where did you get the stats for the street fights from.

3. Your Grand master is a white tenth dan? Who awarded him that?

16. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

I'll second that

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

You cannot prevent adrenaline dumps; it's there for a reason - fight or flight. Even some of the best fighters in the world experience adrenaline before, during and after a fight - you've just got to get used to performing under the effects of adrenaline...

18. slipthejab

errr... Wrong.

Sounds like your school/you didn't pay much attention in physiology class.
    I suggest you go back an re read the thread. Or attempt to improve your understanding how adrenalin, your nervous system and fear works.

What you posted is complete pap.

19. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Try training in the cold, or a cold pool. It helps you control you adrenaline alot, i know from experience. I hardly have any uncontrolled adrenaline at all now, just the other day i was in NYC, walking down the street at around 11pm and 5 guys rolled up in a car and started mouthing off looking for a fight, now normally this would have scared me had it been a couple years ago, but i felt no overwhelming fear or racing heart or anything, which gave me kind of a big head at the moment, i stopped and gave them a glare, and was going to mouth off rite back and start smashing skulls, but i decided against it and walked away cause i was with a girl, and i didnt want to take the chance of a gun being pulled. Training with the cold definately works, just dont make the mistake of thinking you should always fight, just because your not afraid to.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  20. slipthejab

Ok, at this point I am not buying this theory.

First off... there can be major disadvantages to training in a cold pool. Like not even having one or access to one. :D Not being warmed up or really able to warm up you risk pulling a muscle. You also risk hypothermia. And you risk the ire of you mom when she catches you in the pool in wintertime...

"Didn't I raise a kid with more sense than that!!!"

I can see it now.. LOL! :D

Secondly - there is only so much exercise that can be done in a cold pool. Unless your a big fan of slow motion sparring. :D Good luck finding training partners who buy into this theory.

Third, inducing an adrenalin rush to cold wouldn't have the same practical factors as inducing an adrenalin rush in a combat situation.

Example:

You train in a cold pool... do whatever it is you want all the slow motion kicks punches or whatever. Your major response in a cold pool will be to maintain body heat/temp... and correspondingly attempt to get out of the pool.

So you end up in a brawl/fight/violent conflict....

What happens...
    YOU GET KO'd LIKE A BIG GIRL!!!!!!! KA-POW!!!!!

Why? Because when you were threatened and your adrenalin dumped you started doing slow motion techniques followed up by an attempt to get out of the pool!

BWHWAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!:D

Seriously... I find this suggestion lacks credible evidence to support it.

If you feel it has any real value in dealing with your response to an adrenalin dump can you please provide some credible evidence or give us some insight into how what you do in a cold pool changes your response to an adrenalin dump?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005