Any PC help with a crashed game??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by nzric, Jul 23, 2005.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Hey all

I'm having big problems with a new game - Jurassic Park - Operation Genesis.

I install it on my computer and everything seems fine, but once I try to open the game, a little black window opens, the cd sputters for a bit then dies. The game doesn't load at all. Not only that, my CD drive locks up and I can't open the drive to get the CD out! I have to restart my PC every time!!

A few things - I just went to the shop and got another CD of the same game. Same problem so it's not a scratch or something.

Also, I've just been playing Doom 3 and Unreal Tournament on my PC so I know it can handle a large amount of graphics. I do need a new video card but currently I've got.

Windows XP
    512 RAM
    P4 with 2.66ghz processor
    NVIDIA GeForce MX 440 with AGP8X

I've got at least Directx8 because the alert box in the game install says it's fine.

This is all at least higher than the recommendations on the box (e.g. 256 ram, GeForce 3 or better, pentium III...)

Help!!!

2. RR1

RR1 Man Who Would Be Pharoh

Wow that is odd

I myself own Operation genesis and it works on my PC. Your system specs are better than mine so it cant be your machine.....

the only things i could think of are

1. The store you bought the game from got a bad batch. this can often happen when a bunch of copies of a game are damaged and delivered to the same store. so you should try returning it and going to another store.

2. Its your Cd rom drive. Even if it can load other games it can still ahve problems with certain ones. you should try loading every other game you have to test this.

3. your computer hates you. (i have this problem too my comp hate me :()

3. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

I think #3 is the only logical explanation :D

I'll take the game back and get something else. Pity cause i heard it's a good game, but it's been too much of a hassle.

4. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Is the game designed for XP? I'm not familiar with it, but I often have problems running older games in XP when they were built for 98 or ME.

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Presumably, if your playing Doom 3 and Unreal Tournament; then you've got the latest nVidia graphics card drivers? If not, then take a trip over to www.guru3d.com

6. RR1

RR1 Man Who Would Be Pharoh

Ya i Run the game in XP