any news about Tohei sensei? your views about him. what do you know/can say/share?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ranger, Feb 12, 2004.

1. ranger

ranger New Member

hi i'm very interested in the different views of different aikidokas within the the ki society, those previously affiliated and members of other aikido organizations. the questions in the iwama ryu thread led me to ask this i hope this type of inquiry has not been previously presented here.

what do you know/can say/ share about the teachings of Tohei sensei and his style of shin shin toitsu ryu aikido?

i hope every aikidoka contributes in this hope to keep in touch :)

Good day! :)

2. ranger

ranger New Member

really? :D

3. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Last I heard, Tohei sensei is in poor health and his senior students are running the shin shin toitsu organization. But I can't confirm that.

The rift between Tohei sensei and the late Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba is still a taboo topic in the aikido circles. People who ask about it on aikido forums are often met with silence. The split was that acrimonious and obviously still is.

IMHO, Tohei sensei was a central figure in the history of Aikikai aikido. Whatever the reason for his breakaway from the mainline organization, his efforts to teach the art were instrumental in the popularity of the style througout the world. I did help that he spoke good English. Aikido students around the world owe a lot of the efforts of Tohei sensei.

4. ranger

ranger New Member

yup, figured that out :)

I thank him too from the bottom of my heart.

Good day