Any good Silat schools in London?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Guvnor, May 12, 2009.

1. Guvnor

Guvnor Valued Member

Hi guys

I have done a bit of searching but haven't seem to have found anything, I was wondering if anyone on here could perhaps help me or guide me in the right direction to any decent Silat clubs in London? Thanks.

Guvnor

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

You'd first have to define 'Good'.

There are some that are more authentic than others definitely.

There are some that are more relaistic in their training than others also.

But what emphasis are you looking for?

3. Guvnor

Guvnor Valued Member

Well I am sorry for being so vague, what I meant by good was that somebody might have trained at a club and therefore might recommend it as being good.

Yes I am looking for something that is realistic, my knowledge is very limited so please do share your knowledge.

Thanks

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

5. Guvnor

Guvnor Valued Member

Thanks for your replies guys, but what I am actually looking for is silat mubai.

This guy maul 565 I have actually spoken to him via facebook and he reckons that he can teach the whole cirriculum in a seminar or two, beats me how that works ?

This might sound like a dumb question but can anybody tell me why the silatmubai.cc website closed down ? I have seen and read many articles linking to that site, but when you go on there it don't exist no more.

Guvnor

6. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

The silat mubai website has been renamed cogtactical.com due to circumstances that I am vaguely aware of.. I have some acquaintances that are familiar with the system and the system's founder, but they are in another part of the world.. So I won't post an opinion on the system..

As far as Maul Mornie, he is a good instructor who teaches the system referred to in your posting.. I have talked to him a few times and he is really knowledgable in his teachings and approach to the system.. I also have an acquaintance that is moving from Malaysia back to the London area in July.. He is a teacher in the silat Ikathar system which he learned while living in Malaysia.. Good people and a very good instructor..

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  7. Guvnor

Guvnor Valued Member

Thanks for the info, could you please tell me a bit more regarding silat ikhatar if you don't mind ? Whats the main difference between this sysytem and the other systems of silat ? etc

Do you think your freind will be willing to teach once he is London and if so is there any way in which to contact him ?

Thanks Guvnor

8. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Info requested on silat in London..

here is the link to my associate's system as stated on his website.. He is in Malaysia right now and we have limited contact currently, but will post this and it will have his email contact info on it..

http://www.ikhtiar.org/

9. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

+1 for Eastwest, awesome school

10. Silat Ikhtiar

Silat Ikhtiar New Member

Silat Ikhtiar

Selamat malam,
    Pleased to meet you,
    In Malaysia there are quite a few Silat styles that are not 'bunga' or 'kuda kuda'. This means that these particular styles do not nessesarily work with flowery movement and/or animal stances/techniques. Most Indonesian Silat styles do incorporate them. But there are also many styles in Malaysia that do so. Silat Ikhtiar is one of the non bunga/kuda kuda styles and tries to be realistic. However, Ikhtiar does have a very traditional side with even a jurus bunga which is used for special occasions such as pengantin (wedding) etc.
    After having learned our form of Tinju (boxing) and all Akhir (finishing) and Pengengan (holds/restraints) techniques it is possible to learn to use the Badek (knife). The curriculum is not excesively large and doesn't have the arrogant claim to be the perfect complete system. Such a system doesn't exist. But if you want to know about our philosophies and views on martial arts and Silat then it's best to read the forthcoming book(s) on Silat Ikhtiar which we have been working on so hard for the last 5 years.
    In the meantime please check our website at:
    http://www.ikhtiar.org
    Feel free to ask any questions you might have:
    info@ikhtiar.org

One of our senior members has recently died and we are working hard to keep the flame burning and expand to Europe as planned.
    As it looks now we will start teaching in Camden SW1, London in July 2009.
    The schedule might change but at the moment we agreed on training sessions on Monday evening, Thursday evening and Saturday early-afternoon.

11. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I have seen video and dvds from the eastwest school., needless to say I wasn't impressed with the delivery of the material..
    :woo::dunno:

12. Guvnor

Guvnor Valued Member

Anybody got any information on the curriculum of Silat Ikhtiar ? I tried looking it up online but unfortunately found nothing.

Any additional info regarding this art would be a bonus,thanks.

Guvnor

13. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Guvnor,
    I talked to my acquaintance in Malaysia.. He posted his link for the school and system on his response to you.. His website shows a lot of the information you are requesting.. You can also email him direct for more information..

http://www.ikhtiar.org

14. keith.w

keith.w Valued Member

Wow!!!
    I must try this. Get a couple of bogus people to say how great my "unique" art is then I can charge £80 a month and say how cheap it is and that I dont do it for the money just for the passing of knowledge.
    Oh and by the way thats £50 for a uniform and £20 for a book.........

£££££££££££
    Happy days

15. Silat Ikhtiar

Silat Ikhtiar New Member

Interesting response....
    By the way: uniform and book are not mandatory to buy at all.
    The book is compiled just because any Silat style should have one.
    It is given free to anybody who makes it through the syllabus.
    The 'uniform' exists now because people ask for it.
    Here in Malaysia we train in whatever we wear that day
    and we mostly train outside. We have no expenses.
    Training in Malaysia is totally free. We bring our own weapons.
    The problem with London is that renting a venue anywhere
    central is 25 GBP minimum per hour. Most Silat schools in the UK
    have a very small number of students. Training 3 nights a week
    for several hours will therefore add up to a huge ammount of money.

The 'bogus people' you mentioned is only one person that mentoined
    us in this thread. It is clear that you have no idea who he is and what
    he represents. Also you seem to have limited knowledge of Malaysia
    and Malaysian Silat.
    Please do a little bit of research before speaking out like this.

16. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Is Silat Suffian Bela Diri in London? I have seen Maul on youtube and would like to go to a class/workshop at some point to check it out.

cheers

Narrue

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Silat Suffian is based in Cardiff, Wales.

He does seminars all over europe and beyond though.

See the seminar page of his website.

Good Luck.

18. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

If you guys get the chance to train with Maul, do so, he is a top class instructor.

As for the misunderstanding about Silat in Malaysia, I trained there in 1989 and the instructor I trained with was more upright, not as flowrey as some of the Indonesian Styles (which are good to by the way), so yes Silat like FMA can be quite varied.

And Silat Ikhtiar good luck with opening your venue in Camden, I am sure you will get a great responce from those seriously looking to practice your form of Silat.

Best wishes

Pat

19. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Bit late but if you have not found a good silat class i would try having a look at Guru Randolph class in Tottenham wednesdays & sundays. Under Maha Guru Richard de-bordes Harimau system

20. Jerome Blanes

Jerome Blanes Member

That is a very old link and that domain doesnt exist anymore...
    This is the new website:Link removed
    Regards...

Jerome, I've removed this link from several of your posts, as it breaches MAP's advertising rules. I'm sure you probably weren't aware, so please contact Aegis (site admin) if you would like to place an advert.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012