Any experience with Joseph Simonet/KI Fighting Concepts material?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by callsignfuzzy, Nov 30, 2012.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Budovideos has his stuff for pretty cheap, and I've always liked the flavor of what I've seen. However, my experience with his base arts (Wing Chun, FMA, Parker-lineage Kempo) is limited and spotty; in particular I've no experience with the Mok Jong, which seems to be an integral part of his material. So because of that, and the fact that I don't quite trust myself to not get caught up in the "that looks cool" aspect of it, I'm looking for outside input. And because of the broad background he has, I'm posting it in General instead of anywhere else.

2. callsignfuzzy

Wow, no one? Anyone? Beuller?

Alright, let's make this easier: how do these videos look to you all?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzxEj09TDCU"]Xtreme Kenpo karate "Cyclone" Joseph Simonet - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXALy0PqM5Y"]How to Use High Intensity Flow Drills for Combat: The Argument of Movement Part Two: Skill Sets - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcPKdAxTOCo"]DNA - full review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd31vntu1TU"]KI Fighting Concepts Wing Chun by Paladin Press - YouTube[/ame]

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Video 1: the entry into the groin strike was interesting. Everything after that was a little far fetched
    Video 2: when he started talking about the wing chun centerline and using wing chun terms I started to cringe a little. When his partner pulls in that's bad. She's inviting someone, who's a freight train by comparison, straight in toward her and he can just crash right through. You're supposed to sink down with moves like that.
    Video 3: the indoor pak sao leaves you vulnerable to getting hit with the other hand, plus he's doing moves in steps that should be done in two. The use of the "Silat elbow" is interesting but only necessary because he turned away from his target and left too much space. A lot of the drill seems overly complex with some moves I think have very little chance of working.
    Video 4: this guy knows nothing about wing chun. That's just embarrassing

4. callsignfuzzy

Well, thanks for replying. There really was little rhyme or reason to posting those particular videos except they collectively cover a broad range of what he teaches.

I've got his "Silat Concepts" book and it has some interresting ideas. Mostly from this I'm recognizing him using skills that I don't have ("collapsing" takedowns and trapping/hubud stuff) and, as I said, I like the look of it. There are some things I don't like, but I find that in everything. I also know that while I've picked up a little Silat and have spent a short time training WCKF, I'm hardly an expert at either. So the input from a more practiced source is appreciated.

5. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Having gone through a few more of his videos he seems like a jack of all trades who hasn't spent enough time working on each skill.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As far as certification goes he is ranked in multiple disciplines. The problem I see with a lot of his movement is not that he necessarily lacks the ingredients, its that the blending of them seems somewhat "forced" - this is often the case with JKD offshoots/clones

Dan Inosanto talks about the "blend" of arts as being the true JKD process - In the same way I like to use a cooking anology.

A recipe has similar ingredients but they get cooked differently by each individual. Eggs and flour can make cakes or pasta...if you know how to mix. Otherwise you end up with a bowl of sticky crap that no one can digest

7. callsignfuzzy

Would either of you, or anyone, recommend any alternative referrence material on the subject of trapping, hubud, etc?

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

9. AndiLui

AndiLui New Member

Very true; the wing chun parts in the 'high intensity (haha) flow drills' show he probably never learnt from a proper instuctor, since he lacks the basic skills and structures to learn things like lap-sao under someone who honestly teaches real wing chun.

Cheers,
    Andy

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Ahhhh the real wing chun...you know the real WC is a lot like father Christmas:There are lots of poor imitators out there trying to take your hard earned money off you, in fact they can be found on every street corner, we are assured the real thing is much better than what we see out there and it really does exist, yet no one can post proof of its existence so we have to go on blind faith…..
    Actually I suppose the big difference is people actually stop believing there is a real father Xmas when they are kids