ankle problems

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by kareem, Jun 29, 2004.

1. kareem

kareem New Member

here's the story i went to demonstrate a flying side kick on a big sway bag and i tripped and rolled over my ankle. i think i explained this story in another thread, anyway my ankle was swollen for a few days more like an entire week and since im not one for doctors or ice/ heat, i jusy dealt with it until it was better. so a month later i was playing basket ball and i rolled it again( guess it wasn't fully healed) but it didnt swell like the first time and acutally i got up and didnt really feel it at all. yesterday i was training at my friends school and what did u expect i rolled it again looking stupid. it swelled a little but i continued the class so i went to throw a side kick to my cousin( real smart) and his arm hit my ankle, u get the picture. i dont want to check it out cuz i know its not hurtinng enough to waste a doctors visit. will this happen ever time i train on soft mats? will this be my achelles heel? will i ever be able to compete? will batman and robin get out of this catostrophic perdicament? tune in next week. feel free to give me your ideas

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

first stop with the drama! :D
    second, if you don't think that it is worth a doctor's visit, then you might just roll it again and again and again. the reason might be something that happened in one or your ''rolls'' (your ankle probably got tired of your negligence) or it might be genetical. in either case, is it worth going to the doctor....you decide!
    maybe bandages would help, but that again is something a doctor or a therapist should advise and explain to you.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

There was a very similar thread about ankles not long ago.

There was some extemely good advice given out.

I'll have a search and post the thread in here.

EDIT:
    I was nearly correct.
    It was actually a reference to an old thread in a recent ankle problem thread.
    Anyway, KickChick posted the link and here it is:
    http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/anklesprain/anklesprain.html

It is well worth a read.

Cheers. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  4. kareem

kareem New Member

thanks for your comments, oddly enough one of the other owners is is a phsycial therapist. lol i guess i could ask her for advice. thanks alot tune in next time

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

definitely ask her. nobody is forcing you to have a surgery for crying out loud, but some advice here and there won't hurt.

good luck :)

6. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Go consult a doctor thats why they are there i did my ankle while in Wales and had a nice supporting sock for my ankle however these things take a long time to heal correctly and you really have to take it easy or you will get recurring injuries for the rest of your life

7. Din

Din 3rd dan

Go and see a doctor for goodness sake.... i'm sure you dont want to damage your ankle till the point you may not be able to train anymore... get it checked out by a profesional then let it heal properly before doing any rigourous activity

8. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i did a very similar thing and i dont go to doctors or use ice ect either but i wud recomend u do anduse ankle supports, i didnt and it was still hurting nearly a year later cus i kept twisting it, but that might be due to a genetic weaknes in my ankles neway

9. kareem

kareem New Member

thanks for everyone comments i will definately check it out