Anderson Silva, why oh why

Discussion in 'MMA' started by icefield, Mar 1, 2016.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I understand he has been fighting a long time and is probably bored these days, but why does he insist on messing around with Filipino boxing, Segal rubbish, bobbing and weaving on the cage with his hands down and so on, during his fights.
    He lost a fight he had no right to lose simply because he only bothered to actually box and thai box for about 4 minutes of a 25 minute fight, and when he did bother to…well actually fight… he took bisping apart
    I really don’t understand it

2. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

Bisping won the points and did no damage. Silva Won the fight.
    It was weird how when silva stunned bisping with that front kick to the face he just stood there and waited for him to come back at him.
    Also the start of the 3rd was just stupid. Rigged.

3. DARKREALITY

DARKREALITY Valued Member

When Silva did not jump all over bisping at the start of the 4th round I thought............bisping will win this fight.

4. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

That fight seriously frustrated me. Every time Silva went on the attack, like actually moving forward and throwing Bisping backed up and was in trouble.

The only good that came out of it for me, was that when Silva was actually doing what he needed to be doing he looked like his old self. I always knew that guy is still there. His problems are psychological. People were quick to say that a man who was undefeated for so long was suddenly "over the hill" for losing once. I still feel if he had not broken his leg he had a good chance against Weidman. He was finally getting serious.

On the backing up to the cage thing, it felt to me like he was trying to pull a "Rope a Dope" hoping that Bisping would tire himself out trying to penetrate his defenses. The problem is you don't have 15 rounds to do that in MMA. Silva has always been big on Ali.

5. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

He doesn't trust his gas tank or his ability to lead without getting hit so he's invented a bunch of different ways to kill time while still frustrating his opponent/baffling armchair judges/recharging his aura.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The dude's in his 40s. Expecting him to perform like a 25 year old or even a 35 year old isn't realistic. He'll keep on fighting for as long as the UFC is willing to pay him high 6 figures - because who the hell wouldn't?

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Ive got no problems with his age, or him taking the money or his game changing because of it, its the fact he seems bored and plays around in the cage rather than actually bothering to fight, because regardless of his age when he stops messing around and actually commits to fighting he is still damn good, he lost a fight he should never have lost because he only bothered to actually commit to fighting bisping a handful of times throughout the fight, and when he did, well look at bispings face

8. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

That is more or less what I saw and it's one of the reasons the decision ticked off so many people. It's true Bisping won the points, but Silva flat out outclassed him. The fact that Silva could clown around like that and still beat the brakes off that man was just crazy. If he went in there intent on just destroying Bisping (which he very nearly did just clowning around) he would of ended the fight in the first or the second.

9. PointyShinyBurn

Anderson doesn't clown because he can't be bothered fighting properly, he does it because it gets people to lead and overcommit into his counters. When he did try to pressure Bisping he tended to get clocked.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

when he led and took the fight to bisping he opened him up and backed him off and hurt him, yes he got clipped a few times but he got clipped more clowning around because bisping wasn't going to fall into any traps, his attack by drawing hasn't worked since he fought bonner, and that was only because it was against a heavier slower opponent, with 4oz gloves, faster opponents and an aging fighter whose reactions aren't as quick as then once were, they don't work.

He should go back to how he fought when he won the title, using his thai to destroy people and not try to be the Ali of MMA

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  11. PointyShinyBurn

Which of his early fights in the UFC did he lead from the outside? In MMA he's mostly either been a pure counter-striker or he's been on his back a lot.

Now he's not as fast and the adamantium has worn off his chin somewhat, plus a swarmer like Bisping was always the right style to give him trouble.