American MAP Meet Brainstorming

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ero-Sennin, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, they look like they have everything in the world that you would need for training as far as equipment and facilities go. Looks like it's worth the visit at least.

I would love to do a DC MAP meet, and when we were initially mentioning it (quite some time ago) I was wanting to propose it more and see if we could get enough interest. However, I'm just trying to get back into normal life again from my injury. I'm about to go down to Florida with my parents so it's not as hard to get medical care (wife is studying for the BAR exam right now, her schedule and the VA schedule do not work well). If I get well enough in the next few months I'll definitely be up PMing people and trying to get people interested. Kinda' in a huge slump right now though, so I wouldn't count on me. :p

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries. I'm not rushing it right now either. I've got plenty going on myself. We'll percolate a while longer.

3. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Count me as interested in a meet-up - or what's left of me anyway.

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Sure, what until I move from NJ to TN and THEN suggest a DC MAP meet.

Thanks.

;)

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I was hoping you'd say that, Armanox. I know that Baltimore is a bit of a hike, having grown up near there myself. But yours was one of the names that occurred to me. Sunfish and Ero too, obviously.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Why limit it to DC?

Be aware you aren't the only one. I'm the heaviest Ive ever been - two months of no training, being stuck in an Extended Stay with absolutely no outlet - ballooned up to 225 ( from usual 170 ). Lost 6 lbs in the last day just from moving furniture around.

7. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I'm up for some sort of DC area meet, whenever one happens!

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It wasn't really limited to DC. I was just in a hurry and was using DC as sort of the center point between several locales.

More literally, nobody I know of here is actually IN DC. Ero, Sunfish, and Armanox are all Maryland. And I'm Virginia.

EDIT: Besides, my organizational skills being what they are, I wouldn't want some poor soul to travel down the Eastern Seaboard for no good reason. I'd rather have a bit of "proof of concept" first.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Brainstorming No.Am. MAP Meets

So I mentioned in another thread the idea of a regional MAP Meet in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia area). It garnered more attention than my original question in that thread, so it's getting its own thread here. Moving posts now...

EDIT: And clearly, I did that wrong. I was hoping this post would be at the top. This is like my superpowers origin story, where I spend the first 45 minutes learning about my new powers, hilarity ensuing.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  10. Ero-Sennin

Oh look, I started a thread I had no idea about! Thought for a second somebody hacked my account! :p:D

I would be willing to jot things down and assist in any sort of planning efforts, even if I can't actually make the event due to certain circumstances I am in currently. Probably won't be the same in a few months though, and I doubt this whole thing will pop off within a month or two anywho :p.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It won't, no. I'm concentrating on job interviews and hopefully a relocation. And, as you well know, summer on a college campus isn't a quiet time. Not when you're advising incoming freshmen for the fall. So I doubt I'd be pulling any clever ideas out of my frontal lobe anytime soon either.

12. Ero-Sennin

Sounds good to me. I would hate to not be able to go.

Doesn't mean we can't throw out ideas in the meantime though! Anyone in the area know of any possible places something like this could be held, or does anyone have a particularly big back yard? Just ideas of course, nothing concrete. :p

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

New York? (just sayin')

14. Ero-Sennin

Cheap bus ride from DC. I'm sure there are plenty of MAP members in the NY area as well, and travel to NY is generally pretty cheap since it's a huge HUB for travel. Definitely an idea. I could probably convince my wife to go to something like that too (not the meet, but the trip to NY, as she loves NY). Definitely an idea to play with.

I think money for travel/lodging would become the issue there, not to mention renting a place in NY would probably be pretty pricey.

15. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I'm a no-go if it's in NY. Sorry, but I don't <3 NY.

16. Mushroom

Is cool, I'm just trying to find an excuse to go again :p

(dependant on money, time , availability, money)

17. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

New York! Isn't that where the teen age mutant ninja turtles are from! cowabunga dude!

18. Mushroom

And Spiderman and Daredevil and F4 and Luke Cage and The Avengers.....

19. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

And yet still so much crime. :p

Hmmmm... if NA MAP meet is close to Comic con 2015, I think I will make the effort to leave the bush.

20. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Regardless of where MAP meet will be, it will only be for a couple days (at least that's the impression I get) which isn't long enough for me to justify leaving the territory. Leaving the territory is ridiculously expensive, my problem.

Just throwing it out there that if MAP meet was to be had somewhere that could be considered vacation worthy or around the time of another event more people might be able to justify the travel?