alterate explanation - rolling the hips

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by chip, Feb 16, 2004.

1. chip

chip New Member

one of my students is having difficulty understanding why fighters roll their hips during a thai roundhose. does anyone have any analogies or advice to illustrate the concept to him?

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

You 'roll' your hips to drive the kick all the way through the target. My favorite analogy is the baseball analogy. When a baseball player attempts to hit a homerun, he drives the baseball bat all the way through the target (and twisting his hips as he does so). If he does not drive all the way through with his hips and his bat, the ball doesn't go as far. He bunts.

3. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Rolling your hips will follow threw the kick way better. We do this at my tkd dojang as well. I do think you also get more power out of the kick. It seems like flash if you don't roll your hips. I had my photo taken and didn't roll my hip during the shot and got pretty ****ed it even looks like flash. You guys hit with your shins so rolling your hip will hit with your shin. I also hit with shins as well. It is a great kick :) .

We practice our kick as if the persons guard is up to kick threw their guard breaking their arms(to inspire us to kick harder it is all imaginary). This is in my kickboxing/tkd/jkd class. That is for a rib shot. It is enough for me to kick hard and you gotta go threw the guard and hit the ribs. I like that way of thinking. It may sound dumb to ya muay tha guys though. We don't hit higher than that in this class. Except for sparring which allows you to do what you want unless it is themed like all punches yada yada.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  4. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Tell your student this: " You roll your hips to give more power to your rhouse kick."

See a simple explanation.

5. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

tell him to imagine his leg is "dead" at first - just a big ol' limb hanging from his hip. It cannot bend at the knee on its own. Ask him how he would slam his shin into the bag with full power using only the twisting of his body and hips.