"Aliveness"

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

This is a term used by Matt Thornton from SBG amoung others.
    (for a more in depth explination from Mr. Thornton's SBGi UK/Denmark tour DVD click here. Please be aware that it contains language that may offend)

It decribes a training ideal using resistive opponents to increase the effectiveness of techniques learnt.

How do you make your training as "alive" as possible?

How does this differ for those who teach self protection to MAists to those who teach non-MAists?

Budo.

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Basically it means that instead of rehearsing a skit you are playing a game.

Teach a technique, teach the counter, play the game.

Both people are have a goal, and both are doing it.

Think of learning martial arts like learning to play a sport. Isolate areas of that sport and play them.

For example if you got a group of kids and you want to work passing and intercepting you could play monkey in the middle. It isolates areas of the main game and works them in a simpler, more focused game.

Now contrst that to, Ok, John will run 5 paces left, Tim will throw on the 3rd step, Bob will intercept by taking 3 paces right and jumping to catch it above his head. Now repeat 25 times, get it right each time.

Also spar, and then spar some more.

3. mikelw

mikelw New Member

Juddy do we need to start this aliveness bit on MAP too? I thought we'd had enough of jkogas and his bit on fightingarts lol.

But on a serious note, just make sure what you're doing isn't rehearsed. As in, kata is not good, nor is 1 step sparring. Make sure the drills you do have a certain amount of resistance in them.

4. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

Aliveness has a (TM) label doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Anyway, it makes obvious sense and is a key aspect to the wider notion of pressure testing IMO. But then you'd expect me to think that. :Angel:

Slight difference with last Mikelw:
    I'm not against 1-step, I think that done at a pace, it can be good basic training -but yes, it does need reinforcing and testing in ALIVE training and I'd guess 20% 1-step 80%pressure testing (sliding scale).

5. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Aahhh, I thought a sensed a disturbance. Don't make me get Jkogas on here to sort you out. ;)

6. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

ROFLMAO!!!!

Bring him!!!

:D

7. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Neko & Mike. Fear not. (not much anyway :))

This was a serious question. If you teach a self defence class then how do you get around this point? Many MAists understand the term and what it implies. Some don't. So how do you get round this sort of training with those who have just walked in off the street with little or no MA knowledge or background?

Budo.

8. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Budo,

This answer is going to offend a lot of people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now with that said let me just say that if your training saves your life just 1 time, the very first time you use it and you never have to use it again then great you have accomplished the goal of learning to protect yourself and I don't want to get into a Martial arts philosophy debate with all the Qai Chang Kanes of the world.

Now I also understand the need for sport schools and this post is not for them unless they are claiming to teach self-protection instead of telling the truth of the fact that this is a sport school & we teach sport martial arts.

I would first like to say that I don't believe most Martial Arts teachers do understand this concept of reality training and live in a fantasy world. They might say they do and they might claim to teach this aspect but they don't!

How many Martial Arts/Combat Fighting instructors have truly been in just (1) real life threatening encounter let alone a dozen or so needed to evaluate their skills, timing, responses, courage, awareness, and the many other aspects of self-protection. I love it when some instructor relies on the ONE time he punched out a drunk in a bar as his culmination of martial arts life & death skills and thinks he can train his students to fight.

Sparring your friend in the school with pads and rules and a referee for the match, wearing gi’s and going barefoot is NO WAY to train for a realistic life & death situation.

So then how can we be all that we can be? We can't unless we throw caution to the wind and go at it without pads, rules or referees! What happens then; we get hurt, can't go to work, can't pay our bills and end up homeless with no money to continue our training!

You have to remember that hundreds & thousands of years ago there was a "Warrior Class" people of the community who did nothing but train to fight, that was their job. If they got hurt they had the automatic 3 weeks of sick leave to recuperate and continue training.

So we have to train as realistically as our modern times allow, our students can take and our legal system will stand. But instructors need to understand these points and work with them and not try to avoid them causing a false sense of security.

A few things to do for realistic training but without killing each other:

1) If your going to teach knife defenses don't use a rubber knife and come out slow with a straight stab to the stomach, instead use a dull metal knife and come out yelling & screaming with fast slashes and stabs.

2) If sparring don't limit the students! Take up the mats, let them do sweeps, throws, stomping on the toes, hitting when their opponents back is turned, yelling, and whatever else you normally don't allow because you think it's un-sportsman like or to aggressive!

3) Take off the Gi’s & put on the shoes!

4) Have the students spar with as little protective equipment as possible and have them spar everyone regardless of size, strength, gender, age, speed, rank and do anything else that you normally don't do!

5) Of course the list goes on and on without getting into realistic techniques versus unrealistic techniques, which would be a book in and of it's self!

*******************SOMETHING TO SERIOUSLY PONDER****************************

How come YOU wouldn’t go to a lawyer who only tried (1) case, a doctor who only did (1) operation or a pilot who only flew (1) solo flight but you will put your LIFE on the line and study with an instructor who has no real knowledge of Self-Protection or real life & death experience!

How come YOU as an instructor would consider teaching someone to protect themselves and take their money to train them to protect themselves when you yourself have never been in a real life & death self-protection situation or even trained in art that at least teaches concepts & techniques for this very purpose!

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  9. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

Because with a study and practice of tried and true fighting techniques one can help another to understand the most effective ways to defend themself. The only true way to get real life experience is go out on the street and get someone to fight you. Well, that is illegal and ignorant. And that really wouldn't tell you how you'd do in a 'self defense' situation either, since you are preparing for the fight. So going by your statement you'd have to be randomly attacked by surprise multiple times, and that just isn't realistic.

What are you a teacher of? I do believe you said you were a police officer. Do you teach firearms, knife fighting/defense, improvised weapons? I mean, unless you have actually shot 3 or 4 people kicking down your door you really don't know how to best show someone how to use a weapon for home defense, much less personal security.

Are the best Rape Prevention instructors persons who have been raped?

There is a big difference in teaching TMA's style of self defense and teaching more reality based, and it doesn't have to do with how many times your instructor has fought off a ballistic knife wielding murderer.

Having the unfortunate experience in a real life self defense situation can give you a better look and how the body reacts, how you respond and you can convey to others the physical and phycological aspects of it, but it doesn't automatically make you a good instructor and it really isn't the best way to judge one either.

10. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

I'm just bumping this back to the top.

11. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

This dude wouldn't last a minute with a full contact athlete.

12. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

The key thing with all SD training is to constantly practice it with as much realism as possible.

This means that every once in a while u should go all out and fight dirty to the point of causing more pain than normal with your partners.

If you want to train hard and full out then why not a training dummy for extra ooommph?

Of all the ppl here I believe that probably Judderman is the only one who has to work constanly in an atmosphere where he is likely to get hit/stabbed or ??? every day.

13. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Lets face it. Unless you are fighting day in day out, your training will be a sorry second best. The attackers you face on the street do not announce themselves (at least to the majority), they do everything possible to ensure that they win. If there is a doubt, chances are they dont do it.

I don't care how good you say you are, think you are or prove you are, without proper insight, the average criminal will have you out of the fight before you have realised you're in one.

From my limited knowledge of SD training, many are encouraged by resisting partners and the ability to hit as hard as they can against a suitably padded opponent. This usually overcomes the apprehension of using force in a situation that warrants it. The more committed can go that little bit further and throw away more rules and protection, if you are willing to take that risk.

I have found this myself. Some techniques I use do require a lot more strength and timing against a fully resistant partner, to one who is half hearted.

Budo.

14. Chase

Chase New Member

Never stop attacking, & use cavity strikes, like the nuts, the knees, the ears, the eyes,etc. to make it as short as possible.

15. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Did you even read this thread? Do you know what aliveness is?

DO YOU REALIZE THAT CRAP DOESN'T WORK?

16. Rice Krispies

Rice Krispies Valued Member

"1) If your going to teach knife defenses don't use a rubber knife and come out slow with a straight stab to the stomach, instead use a dull metal knife and come out yelling & screaming with fast slashes and stabs.

2) If sparring don't limit the students! Take up the mats, let them do sweeps, throws, stomping on the toes, hitting when their opponents back is turned, yelling, and whatever else you normally don't allow because you think it's un-sportsman like or to aggressive!

3) Take off the Gi’s & put on the shoes!

4) Have the students spar with as little protective equipment as possible and have them spar everyone regardless of size, strength, gender, age, speed, rank and do anything else that you normally don't do!

5) Of course the list goes on and on without getting into realistic techniques versus unrealistic techniques, which would be a book in and of it's self!"

How are you supposed to survive this? If you give me all this to work with, given the lack of skill often seen by martial ats students, there are gonna be a lot of severe beatdowns given.

17. Chase

Chase New Member

Yes I did,yes I do. Do you want to make every woman a gladiator?

18. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

No, only the ones that want self defense.

19. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

There should always be a ref, or tap out signals/words, to ensure that you can stop at any time. This ensures that as few injuries as possible occur.

Just remember, if you are feeling squimish about this sort of training, what are you going to do when there isn't a ref or you can't tap out?

Budo.

20. JKogas

JKogas Valued Member

Alas, I am here.

-John