Aikijitsu and Aikido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Martial Sloth, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Hey Dudes, I'm pretty much a begginer to the MA world. Been interested in it for a long time now, and finally I've got the cash to get cracking with it! :)

My interests pretty much lie in Aikido and Jujutsu. The other day I found a club that does Aikijitsu as a complementary art to their Aikido classes. I'm not too familiar with Aikijitsu, so could anyone out there who practices it or knows anything about it please point out the differences in style/technique between Aikido and Aikijitsu.

I'd greatly appreciate it.......and by the way....fantastic forum!!

2. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Any takers?? Anyone?? Odd that out of all the member's no-one can help :)

3. Jim

Jim New Member

I can MS, but I'm in the wrong country!

Aiki *DO* is more form based and nicer (for lack of a better word).
    Aiki *JITSU* is a bit 'freer' and more self defence orientated.

Just my view on it, but I'm sure others would disagree. ;D

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Welcome Martial Sloth :)

Interesting name by the way... ;)

I have to agree with Jim here, I was under the impression that 'Do' was created to make the training of MA available to youngsters, thus all the nasty, killing techniques were removed from 'Jitsu'?

5. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

I'd pretty much go along with what everyone else has said on that.
    The most common (and simplistic) opinion is that 'Do' are soft forms and 'Jitsu' or 'Jutsu' are hard forms, although obviously japanese characters can be interpreted in many different ways. I'm afraid thats as far as my knowledge on this goes so the rest of this is just my own opinion on things.

Over time, martial arts evolve and progress, so I would assume that aikijitsu is more closely related to some of what Ueshiba witnessed while training in daito-ryu aiki jujutsu. What Ueshiba took from this eventually turned into what he termed 'Aikido'.
    I assume 'aikijitsu' still contains more jujitsu elemements in it, and so may be a more general art.

Or I could be completely wrong :)

6. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

So would it then be fair to say that Aikijitsu is a jujitsu base with aspects of Aikido incorporated into it?:confused:

7. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Hmm, thats probably as good a description as any.

Aikido, like most, has a jujitsu base, so you could say that aikijitsu has retained more jujitsu elements than Aikido, while Aikido is evolving along its own path.

Don't know if that makes sense, and even if it does it might be wrong.

Your instructors can probably tell you better than me, as all my experience is firmly rooted in Aikido, with no exposure to aikijitsu.

Damn, you've got me interested now - think I'll have to go and find out more myself. If I learn anything useful I'll let you know!

8. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Dont know much about it Tintin, but from what I've seen (a whole half and hour display), it seems to use a fair deal of Aikido in it (ie. the circular movement and throws) but throws in a fair deal of strikes and pressure points and breaks as well.

So in my opinion, Aikijitsu is very much a more destructive/aggresive/attacking style with a lot of Aikido moves (eg. if an opponent strikes in Aikido, you'd grab, move/rotate and throw. Now in Aikijitsu, it seems as though you'd grab, strike then break, or grab, strike throw and possibly break. There definitely isnt the passive aspect to it as in Aikido)....hence the reason the club cross-trains Aikido and Aikijitu.

9. zendoka

zendoka New Member

do means the way while jitsu is method. Aiki means unison with the ki or internal energy wich is sometimes mistaken for spirit wich is actually a different word in japanese. I am not positive but I believe spirit is shen or shin. Aikijitsu was the art that aikido came from. Initially Morihei, the founder of aikido, referred to what he taught as aikijutsu. The use of the word do in this case as well as in most others has less to do with alteration of techniques and more to do with the philosophical approach of the system. The do is applied to all aspects of life while the the jitsu is just the martial art. You will often find that the change in technique is relevant to the removal of the more dangerous techniques and more emphasis is placed on control of both yourself and the opponent and this is due to the often peacefull philosophy of the Do. Judo is such a variation of jujitsu.
    Kendo comes from kenjitsu. There is also karatejitsu. So to answer your question most directly, the aikijitsu will contain more practical application and many techniques that could seriously injure opponents. It is strictly the martial aspect. Aikido stresses a peacefull philosophy wich its self defense techniques reflect.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

One big difference between the two... Aikido comes with the implicit responsibility for and to your attacker that he will be harmed only to the point of nuertralizing the attack. The most popular form of Aikido is the Aiki Kai style... they have over the years changed their cirriculum to move more towards the 'whole-person' aspsects and away from the 'martial' aspects of the art.

Aikijutsu doesn't have this implicit responsibility. So I can understand how you would see it as more martial/brutal etc.

11. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

jUtsu jUtsu jUtsu... jesus.

Oh, and thats also my answer. Aikido seems to be more nice than Aikijutsu, to me at least.