aikido's masters

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ziseez, Feb 20, 2004.

1. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

I wanna know two things in this thread,1.What is considered a master of aikido and how can you tell that you are one. 2.Do you think a master of aikido could take on any other masters of other styles,because what i hear of,o sensei was really awesome.

2. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

The grade of 6/7thdan is usually called shihan which can translate as master. As for the the next bit who the hell cares about fighting.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  3. Amakasashi

Amakasashi New Member

even the masters generally concider themselves still students, from what i remember o'sensei always concidered himself a student and actually hated when his students called him o'sensei. As for the fighting me and you have gotten into that convo online, it really doesn't matter who cares.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

2nd question is too general, and really pointless.

PL

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Who cares about being a master? Practice to be the best you can be. Are you one of those people who gives up at first dan and moves on to something else? I hope not.

6. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

No i didnt mean it in that way,the second question that is.I meant sorta like the influence,like whats your opinion on aikido's goal such as trying to keep everyone family.Do you think the styles would be good against a style which isnt of these goals.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Aikido wasn't developed for fighting against other people. The very idea is distasteful in aikido circles. If you want to fight other people you might enjoy wing chun.

8. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

no im pretty much trying to compare the principles

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Then I suggest you read "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" by Oscar Ratti and Adele Westbrook. The first half of the book explains the principles of aikido. The second half of the book explains how each of the basic techniques applies to a given attack. (Like, the book might illustrate six different defenses for the same attack.)