aikido went in wrong direction?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by southern jester, Jun 8, 2007.

1. southern jester

southern jester New Member

a good friend of mine that has practiced aikido for years made a comment recently that led to this post.

the comment was that both aikido and hapkido came from aiki-jutsu. and that aiki-jutsu came from ju-jitsu. because jujistsu was created during a time of war the style was probably the most realistic in terms of fighting ability.
    then came aiki-jutsu. created in a time of peace it was toned down from the original ju-jitsu.

from aiki-jutsu came aikido and hapkido. both also created in peace time. the primary differences being that hapkido blended taekwondo into the style and maybe judo? also that aikido was a blend of aiki-jutsu and kenjutsu.

the really big difference according to him was that hapkido kept the more combative aspects while aikido was really watered down by the founder due to religous beliefs.

my experience with aikido is limited at best. what little time was spent learning aikido went into understanding techniques and practice. could someone comment on his remarks? maybe this belongs in hapkido threads yet also concerns aikido.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

3. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

This has the potential to get a bit out of hand... but in a different way than Shru and his anime babes thread... ;)

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi Jester

AIKIDO did not go in the wrong direction. MANY modern day practisioners chose to take it in the wrong direction and still call it aikido. See martial art of aikido threads.

regards koyo

DO NOT CHANGE THE ART LET THE ART CHANGE YOU.

5. gornex

gornex Valued Member

seriously?

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I have come to attribute most everything weird about aikido to Morihei Ueshiba being a member of the Omotokyo, and hence, a little bit nuts. That nuttiness got passed on into aikido. Keep in mind, this is the religion that predicted that the world would end in 1905, and made Esperanto their holy language.

7. koyo

The training that O SEnsei gave to the shihan who first brought aikido out of japan was BRUTAL with no Omoto kyo influence.The spiritual side was for his own development. Many of the shihan told me personally that they did not understand the lectures he would often give and saw them simply as a respite from the relentless training.
    Attack at all times show a superior fighting spirit and dominate the attacker. This was the first lesson given to fukushidoin in the early sixties. It was the aiki mystics that took aikido in the wrong direction. There are still some traditional schools of aikido out there. Best to look for them for true aikido.

regards koyo

again. Check out the martial arts of aikido threads if you are interested in traditional aikido.

8. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

You know...this problem here about taking the martial out of aikido....exists in a lot of systems and not just this one. Karate, TKD, Ninjutsu are all prime examples, they are either so dilute due to commercial reasons or competition reasons, as well as personal. You really have to be careful about which school you choose...this applies to all styles and martial arts.

If you do this, gradually we'll all be able to filter out the McDojos. :)

9. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Well, I think Aikido is great.
    I'll probably never be very good at it, though.

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Grrrrr, should being good at Aikido really be a goal at all?
    Aikido is a method of warfare training, it is not a goal in itself. To say you will never be good at aikido is like saying, I can't fight. This worries me about modern martial arts, I have trained with high graded martial artists who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag but thought they were great stylistic practicioners. The is the split, if you separate the fighting ability from the artistic pursuit. Too many in Aikido and many other arts think that focusing on the art is enough. So non-martial practicioner rise through the ranks of the organisations and suddenly the focus shifts to aesthetics as opposed to martial prowess.

The Bear.

11. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Aikido is a particular method of fighting, and as such it is possible to become more proficient at it, and so it is a perfectly valid aspiration to do so.
    So the answer is yes.
    And I don't follow the logic of the remainder of what you said. TBH.

12. southern jester

southern jester New Member

there was a reply to thread from yukuji that my question could potentially cause quite a stir. please no one get offended by this. no intention was made on my part to create a big argument or whatever. just asking for input on a comment that was made.

what really puzzled me about this was that comment was made by someone that has practiced aikido for a fair number of years. what reason did the friend in question have for saying as much? why practice something that you believe is seriously flawed?

know what you may be thinking. instead of asking you why not ask person who made the remarks in first place? well i did bring up the subject during a telephone conversation and this is what came about.

the friend who is named alan by the way is a kentucky police officer. what he claims is that ky law enforcement tried out an aikido program that was not very succesfull. having not participated or been given specific details not really capable of saying what this program consisted of.

anyway from what i gather a fair number of ky. law enforcement now learns some ju-jitsu from a school in louisville. maybe that influenced his thinking process. thank all of you for answering this question without the situation getting out of control. by no means would i knowingly start trouble.

13. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Ok to explain my idea a little more in detail.
    Consider Musashi, he is considered a great swordsman. Do you know the style of sword fighting that he trained in? No, what matters is that he was a great swordsman.
    Style doesn't matter, all that matters is whether you can fight or not.
    Too much emphasis is placed on silly exercises these days and knowing the names of things rather than hard effective training. The only reason style has become so important is because it is used as a marketing tool. It has moved from learn to fight to buy my martial arts product.

The Bear.

14. Aff

Aff Valued Member

wasn't ju jitsu and aikido derived from aiki jujutsu?

15. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

I practice still cause I personally believe that what I am learning is not flawed. I get crap from it all to time by other schools of aikido cause they divide aikido into post world war II aikido (in their terms, "real aikido") and pre world war II aikido (jujustsu posed as aikido). I am at a loss on how to make peace with them....they are just so prejudiced. These people have taken the martial aspects out of the art and placed their own personal beliefs ahead the art and enforce it upon others, woe betide those who go against their views. Bloody hell people, it's all aikido!

16. koyo

Hi Jester

As a loooong time practisioner of traditional aikido I find NOTHING in your posts to be offensive. I myself am troubled by the tendancy of many modern day "aikido" teachers to offer a watered down version of the art so as to attract as many students as possible.ALL martial arts training should be demanding and the outcome effecetive. If not it is NOT budo.

best wishes for your future training
    regards koyo

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Exactly Kensei, it isn't flawed so long as it remains effective. Aslong as it improves your fighting ability. Your style is working for you.

The Bear.

18. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Putting it simply, you're right about the aikido mate. I'm no historical expert on jujutsu, so hopefully someone else can answer that question.

Jester, I stand by koyo, you never meant to be offensive, and I would very much like this discussion to continue.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  19. koyo

O SEnsei Ueshiba founder of aikido was an instructor of Daito Ryu jujutsu before he "created" his own art His teacher was Takeda Sokaku headmaster of the Daito Ryu.

regards koyo

20. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Why do you want to make peace? I don't care what other people think of my training.