Aikido Vs The Jab

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Apr 1, 2005.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Your issue is with individual training methods, not with the substance of the martial art.

Your questions raise an important point, but consider that training varies with goals. A person who wants to be a Batman will not train the same way as a person who wants to be a better mediator.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yes, you read me like a book. :)

The point being that you got to WALK THE WALK, TO TALK THE TALK!

Even to those that just want to have self development and those that want to be better mediators, you got to get experience doing it. Most of the time what you do in the dojo is not enough. That is why it is a "do" or way of life. You get your homework in the dojo, but it is up to each person to train the art the way they want the art to work for them AND to apply life's experiences to the art.

Do not expect to learn only in the dojo, learn from everywhere!!! The whole question of will it work against a jab focuses only on dojo training, but it really should consider life's experiences and the total package of a martial artist.

The problem I see is that too many believe that they will learn the art simply by going to the dojo and completing training. That is like going to school and never doing homework and never getting a job to apply your education in the real world. Of course it ain't going to work as well, it ain't even more than the beginning.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Now we're on the same page. :)

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I don't recall anybody saying that. It is better however to be an ambideterouse martial artist. That way south paws don't get the upper hand. :)

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

a southpaw can still get the upperhand through plain old experience though. I fight with right handed people all the time, whereas they rarely fight a left handed person.

6. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

I agree that southpaw's have an advantage. Not enough people train both sides. But to properly train one side is effective if you know how to attack the other side. The schools that I've seen, only worked the same side. So if a person attacked with there right hand, the student would stay with that side. Almost as if there is no other side. No other way to say it but... pathetic. You can't look at it as side for side, but look at the entire person. Kind of hard to explain.