Aikido vs Judo

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Faminedynasty, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

Thanks to all the people who responded to the question I asked about grappling in Aikido.

Right now, I'm trying to decide which one I want to do between Aikido and Judo. Just can't decide. :bang:

2. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

The best advice is to try 'em both.

3. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

Done that, still can't completely decide. :cry:

Although, I think I'm starting to lean towards Aikido.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ah, gracias. We call it "nikkyo pin" because nage essentially has a nikkyo on uke's wrist, even though it's the shoulder that takes almost all the punishment in this lock.

What would you call this pin if nage switched his hands?
    Like, in that picture, nage's left hand is high and his right hand is low. Switch: left hand low, right hand high.
    But don't move uke at all.

We would call it a "sankyo pin," because nage would essentially have a sankyo lock on uke's wrist, even though again it's the shoulder that takes almost all the punishment.

5. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I dunno what the correct Japanese to English translation would be but I've always understood (from Japanese sources) Kata katame to be hugging through the shoulder.

I can't see how the immobiliation illustrated can be described as Nikyo ? The characteristics typical of Nikyo kote mawashi involves a counter rotational movement against the wrist joint whilst utilising a bend in uke's elbow to provide additional connection to their centre. Katakatame works specifically on the shoulder with additional control on the elbow.

Whilst Katakatame and sankyo kote hineri my look similar (indeed use almost the same principles in seiza oase waza) unless uke's hand/wrist isn't being held and controlled ala Sankyo, then what you have is just katakatame IME.

Regards

6. aikiMac

"Hugging through the shoulder" :D
    Works for me.

Yes, the pain goes through the shoulder, most definitately. But if uke freezes in place, you could easily configure him for a nikyo. That's how we got the name at our dojo. (I guess we're not as Japanese as aikikai dojos.)

We do hold uke's hand in the sankyo position, in this variation; hence our dojo name for this pin. From uke's point of view the two pins feel the same: pain in the shoulder. I really don't think an uke could even tell the difference.

7. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Yup understood Mac, I see what your describing.

Regards

8. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

In the context of this thread, it may be worth clarifying that Judoka reading this may have something entirely different in mind as 'Kata Gatame' . This is a shoulder hold, pinning the shoulder across the chest/face and keeping uke's back firmly on the ground. It is sometimes used after an unsuccesful throw when you still have hold of uke's arm.

'Hugging through the shoulder' makes even more sense if applied to this groundwork technique where the arms encircle uke's upper body.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  9. aikiMac

I knew I had heard of the term before! Yes! Gracias.