AIKIDO VERSUS the BJJ OPEN GUARD

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dead_pool, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufPL87dNhYE"]AIKIDO VERSUS OPEN GUARD - YouTube[/ame]

What do you guys think?

Im in favour of training different situations, But the techniques seem to lack timing.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I don't think there's a problem with the individual locks so much as there's a problem with (as you said) their timing and the lead in to them. For example, in the nikkyo leg drag to prone, I think very few folks who you'll play open guard with will be so willing to flip over into prone. In none of these techniques do you really see the dude playing open guard be dynamic at all. I think that these techniques (like a lot of anti-guard techniques) fail to realize that guards are dynamic positions where the opponent on the bottom has a great deal of control over his own weight and, if you're unlucky, your own. As such they are hard to submit or control from; one reason for guard passing's importance. I'd like to see them try these live against a BJJ dude, but I doubt that'll happen.

PS what was with that funky striking? It made me really take the techniques less seriously. I could be wrong but I doubt that you could put anything approaching the power of traditional GNP into it.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

You could easily replace those strikes with hammerfists just fine. But I agree with your comments about being dynamic - this is especially for the later techniques where even just moving the legs around rather than holding them out would make things much harder.

I would have liked to see them set up the techniques with something like a strike to initiate things, even if it's just used as a distraction to give a moment to enter properly.

4. philosoraptor

You're right they could, I think it's just kind of indicative of their priorities in practice, i.e. doing aikido rather than doing what is most effective for a given situation. Good call on the strikes.

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Confused with these types of videos. Why not title them 'Hey BJJ people why don't you do this?'

I mean yeah, there was a little atemi involved which is not allowed, but everything else there would be legal - why isn't it seen in high level competition?

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

total nonsense. wouldn't work against a 2-month bjj white belt. i would tell that guy to just stick to the aikido curriculum and leave the fighting to us.

edit....sorry, i can't resist....

you call that atemi? i call it swatting at flies, which is going to do nothing. ever heard of kuzushi? and that knee-on-belly is a poor excuse for one.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If the uke was flailing around, how would you get a clear view of what was being done?

That said however, I wouldn't step inside an open guard if I had other options. There's just too much potential to be tripped or injured. That other leg is completely free.

8. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Me? I called it Atemi, as in that 'here is where you could actually use strikes'- not that they were.

Kuzushi? I've heard of it... how does it apply to a guy in supine position?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  9. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

These techniques just wouldn't work at all, and honestly they have no use within aikido. As I understand it, aikido is about self defense. You're standing and the other guy is on his back, just start running.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Aikido is not about self defense. It is about Harmony.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Does kuzushi have to be physical?

Come on Ninja boy!!

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Looks more like a Taiho Jutsu variant in intent as well as actual techniques.

In fact had it not claimed to be Aikido and if it was being done in "street clothes" I would have assumed it was a "Police Training" video

13. mattt

mattt Valued Member

It has become more necessary for it to be physical since I recently started training with people who are resistant.

14. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

All the more reason not to attack someone who is already on the ground.

15. philosoraptor

I dunno. Sometimes I feel a lot more harmonious after getting a few hits in. Y'know, if the son of a birch tree really deserves it.

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Would that be because he was having a go at a downed man who wasn't defending himself?

:D

Joke!!!

17. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I wish passing open guard was that easy.

18. Giovanni

not atemi, play acting at atemi. everything about it shows no understanding of how to hit someone with intent.

before applying technique, the opponent, supine or not, needs to be unbalanced. if your opponent is not unbalanced, then it's strength against strength, or "not aikido". proper atemi would unbalance on its own, or an attempted block or a proper knee-on-belly would force the opponent into an unbalanced situation, allowing tori to apply the technique.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The transition from knee on belly to the face down elbow lock was suspiciously easy, Ive tried a judo style elbow to armpit waki jime (katame?) transition from a knee into solar plexis to force a blocking hand before, and things did not go to plan for me.

20. Giovanni

koyo would be distressed if he saw that video.