Aikido Techniques

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by 0gmios, Jun 17, 2007.

1. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

My school is dedicated self defence, that is the goal. The free attack is done in randori, either jiyu randori (free with multiple attacks) or reflex randori (prescribed but unknown attack with a single attacker). But the principle is the application of tai sabaki (body movement) so the attack is almost irrelevant.

This is basically the same I have experienced in my Shotokan, and similar to what I have obsevred in "other" "Aikido" schools.

The best thing is my Sensei has cross trained a lot. I think that in this sort of environment, only the sempai need to cross train, and the information can be efficiently disseminated to the class.

The principle of requiring cross training suggests the goal is to "defend" your self against a trained opponent. I think that for the average person the most common attack would be an untrained armed attacker. I think common sense will allow you to avoid any other situation (but for law enforcement and security, this should be a must!) Again I would love to see some statistics on attacks.

Regards,

2. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

This is a good point.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

THe mental state of the aikidoka is the one most misunderstood or indeed absent in many cases. WE must never fight unless we have no choice and then the attitude is ATTACK AT ALL TIMES SHOW A SUPERIOR FIGHTING SPIRIT AND DOMINATE THE FIGHTING SPIRIT OF THE ATTACKER.
    We teach principles such as DO nOT GET HIT develop timing, distancing unbalancing and decisiveness, None of these are techniques.In a real fight the DECISION which technique to use is denide you. We must depend on our fighting spirit and natural (after many years of training) reaction to survive sudden and unexpected attack.

I teach Zanshin awareness and observation of the attacker. TAISABAKI body movement and alignment pr-empt and unbalance the attack. ARA WAZA severe technique to bring the conflict to a close as soon as possible.

Iron self control with the ability to go from relaxed 100% attack in an instant.

regards koyo

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

THIS IS AIKIDO, PERIOD!

5. koyo

Aikido Is A Dynamic Art That Cuts Directly Through The Enemy's Intention To Attack O Sensei Ueshiba
    REGARDS KOYO
    cutting through

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Ah :love:

Funny thing to me is that what Koyo said was EVERY Martial Art to me. :p

7. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I think this is the point.

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well then, point taken. :D

9. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

"Budo wa Budo desu."

Budo is budo.

10. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

New Topic: Tokui Waza

New topic again, this time Tokui Waza, or favourite technique.

I will need to think of my own, but I would love to know what others have to say.

Regards,

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Oh, my bad, you asked for statistics.

There are some publicly available through the US Department of Justice... save you the time... this one might be what you are looking for:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/multiple.htm

# Homicides are more likely to involve multiple offenders than multiple victims.

# The proportion of homicides involving multiple offenders rose dramatically in the late 1980's and early 1990's and remains high; it was 11.5% in 1976 and 18.7% in 2004.

------------------

Homicides committed by younger offenders are more likely to involve multiple offenders

In 2004 homicides involving multiple offenders represented --

* 35% of the homicides committed by offenders 14-17 years old
    * 26% of the homicides committed by offenders 18-24 years old
    * 12% of the homicides committed by offenders age 25 or older

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Maybe a cop out, favorite technique for me is iriminage. Mainly just irimi :)

13. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Thanks for the link, lead me to what I wanted (if you want something done do it yourself :D ).

Here is the links for ozzy land for assaults and robberies:

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/facts/2005/02_selectedCrimeProfiles.html#assault
    http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/facts/2005/02_selectedCrimeProfiles.html#robbery

The interesting thing here is that 62% of robberies are unarmed, with 50% of those occurring on the street (i.e. muggings). Next is robberies with knifes at 18% occurring 43% at retail locations (this makes me think of he who shall not be named’s movie "Marked for Death" and the mall fight scene, cool :D ) and 26% on the street.
    For just plain assaults, 43% occur in the home, and 22% on the street. Unfortunately, no stats for armed vs unarmed assaults, and for what weapons are used in assaults.

This link:
    http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/cfi/cfi095.html
    suggest that most robberies occur with a single offender, but is states "single weapons", so another person could have been present without a weapon.

Here we go:
    http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/cfi/cfi062.html
    ~5% of assaults with a knife, ~25% of robberies with a knife
    ~1% of assaults with a gun, ~5% of robberies with a gun

Regards,

PS I really should have spent this time doing some real research. Don't tell my supervisor :D

14. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Tokui Waza

Maybe ;)

I have a fascination with Kote Kudaki (wrist crush - nikyo). I think because this is the first technique I "got", I always find myself going for it in randori. I specifically like going from a Hiji Kudaki (elbow crush - rokkyo) to it. This is how I get into it from a punch. I like to train break the wrist (if needed), then to Do Gaeshi (body overturning - sokumen irimi nage) or a Ko Soto Gari (minor outer reap) to get rid of the person.

Regards,

15. koyo

As I have posted beore. Aikido is a "term" that I use to describe my approach to budo.

Budo is budo.

regards koyo

16. macker

macker Valued Member

I like the sound of that. When i did taekwon-do all i wanted to do was kick people who wanted a row in the head.

Still searching for my 'term', but i would hope that kicking people in the head if they want a row, does not come into it.

17. koyo

Favourite Technique

Since I prefare attacking it is a henka waza Ikkyo to sweep aside any defence and a deep irrimi nage with a ridge hand strike.Done from aware to 100% attack in an instant.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

18. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Do I get to talk bout my tokui waza? Jan de Jong's Yoseikan and his Ju Jutsu are kind of the same system aren't they? :love: Same fundementals anyway, and anything I describe will likely be in both.

Anyway....Ude Ashi Nage blew me away with it's strength and versatility when I first learnt it (which was actually in one of the few Aikido classes I've done). I'm not sure if it has the same name in the Yoseikan?

It has become my default changing technique from almost any lost throw - the only time I've had to use my training seriously, it was this throw that got me out of the situation - after changing from a failed Seio Nage to a failed Obi Otoshi and finally to Ude Ashi Nage.

19. koyo

Sounds like a mix of judo and aikido. Always my favoutite combo.problems with resistance to locks I can always find numerous "judo" sweeps and reaps.

Ude means forearm ashi means leg so are you locking the arm and augmenting it with a sweep or reap?

something like this Ikkyo and o uchigari?

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  20. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

It is called Ude Ashi Nage because you are using both your arm and leg to impliment the throw.

If you're doing the throw on your right side, you have your right leg low behind both your opponents legs, and your right arm across his chest or neck (kind of like a very deep irimi). You drop backward to the floor, and your arm, aided by all your body weight, forces them over your leg and onto their back. So it is a sutemi waza.

Does that make sense? I'll try and find some pics or video's but I don't knwo what the throw is called in different styles.