Aikido Techniques

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by 0gmios, Jun 17, 2007.

1. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Agreed, sankyu is a very poor controlling technique, it should always be part of the grander scheme of things, or not done at all. If it does work, the uke jumps for the roof and it is quite hard to control if you are not careful.

2. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

No wait, there's more isn't there? I know some are grabs, but some are for jabs and other moving attacks......ude gaeshi after with a bloody good punch to the face without entering rotation, just irimi... is one of the examples......because the attacker is now unbalanced backwards....

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Now we are thinking on the same level I think. Tomoe nage I was taught to throw a person in training, but when used in a corridor, a better version IMHO is to continue and roll on top of uke.

A version used in BJJ does not throw uke but you sweep them (turn them) to the side where they land in an armbar. I was also shown how instead of landing them in an armbar, the sweep is used to throw uke to the side into other attackers, using them as a temporary body shield.

As for adjustments for confined spaces, the first thing I found was it was not necessary to throw someone to the ground, but actually instead aim the throws to project uke into a wall or furniture. It only is half the distance you have to throw them. If you then want them to go to the ground, kick or take their knees out.

Also in confined spaces it is almost always that the uke will have the ability to grab a hold of your clothing. Important to control their elbows and not lock up with them or they will be able to lift you up.

Just some thoughts.

4. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Another sutemi that is good for confined or narrow and linear corridors is to avoid the attack, is to knee them and get a bend over effect, initiate a reverse headlock and go down. This is like tomoe-nage, but just done over the top of the body and you can roll with them and get on top. A good example of a sutemi that helps you regain your balance as part of the technique while taking maai into account.

I wouldn't worry too much about clothing in the normal situation where you are in your civvies. They usually stretch and rip. Annoying yes, but in only some cases. Typical aussie hot weather, we are wearing flip flops, polo shirt and shorts.

In a formal situation, watch out if you are wearing your best Armani suit. Hell, I would REALLY be angry if someone tried to attack me while I am in one. Cause clothes grabbing becomes a consideration, because a suit doesn't stretch, but the most important thing is I can't afford another one. :p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  5. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I am thinking of the ryote ippon dori (2 hands on one) where you step back and go into gyaku hiji kudaki, and ryote dori to gyaku kote gaeshi. These would be great in a corridor as they involve stepping back. In my corridor I wouldn't have enough space to irimi to the side, only down to ashi dori ho, or atemi.

6. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Kubi Domoe

7. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Thanks!

8. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

This is what we do in Yoseikan.
    Kubi Domoe is a better technique to do this with, as you end in a guillotine choke.

9. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Rolling with Tomoe nage is very nice, but the one without the rolling onto them is better in terms of impact from the throw, I found that rolling with them you have to stay attached to them, and this kind of softens the throw. In my experience anyway, I could be wrong. But, you can always go to town with the atemi afterwards, cause you are on top standing and they are on the bottom. So not necessarily a disadvantage, just something to consider.

10. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

You should use the advantage to go straight to a choke. I mean people train to defend against people on top of them striking. So you could get caught out. But this is why I said Kubi domoe would be better for this.

11. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

True. A good possibility. I was just thinking of an immediate good atemi after the throw has been landed and then get the hell out so that I don't have to switch hand positions so much. Kubi domoe is a lot easier, it's already there.....

12. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Just make the foot action a good strong kick and like you said, throw them away from the start, once you are on top of them you may be committed to grapple.

13. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Most likely I'll do that. Rebel may have suggested the other cause he has a lot more ground experience. I guess it's not for me until I learn more.

14. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

At the IYBF their ground work was great. I have done some ground work with Judo guys here. I have pinned a black belt. But in the US, I couldn't do anything against a 2nd Kyu. It was really strong, and really fast. I am still happy to go to the ground, I just need to practice more :)

15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Here is what I'm more used to when it comes to sacrifice throws:

http://news.ntv.ru/98684/

:eek:

P.S. you have to click on the play button to start the video.

This is what we do with tomoe nage. A strong kick to stun them with the throw.

The roll up on top of them is when they have a good grip on you so you go with them. We do it as an option when uke attempts a mid-level tackle and we are too slow to sprawl or move out of the way and going backwards is our only option. In this case they are sweep more sideways to make it easier to roll on them with the momentum. Done well should already have the hand positions to put them into a choke.

16. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Cool I understand now.

But from what little I know of BJJ, being on the ground does not equal disadvantage. Right? You have to manage the risk properly and really make sure that kick initially is a good one.

PS What the hell is that site? lol It's choking on me...

17. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

A good Yoko Otoshi (my fav Judo Sutemi BTW) and a bad Sumi Gaeshi, need more kick, but it was a slippery surface, so not the best place to do a Ma Sutemi, should have stuck with the Yoko Sutemi.

18. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

You have me interested in the context. I'm going to babelfish it.

19. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

It looks like it could be an arrest or something. Would be interested to know.

20. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Is the language Macedonian?