Aikido Techniques

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by 0gmios, Jun 17, 2007.

1. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Cool so I am not a murderer after all :D

I would love to study anatomy and biomechanics, just couldn't fit it in my undergrad.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm still confused about why you are promoting the use of Sutemi for any situation other than against a skilled fighter that has a hold of you when they lose their balance/posture?

There is a general consensus among many law enforcement that study martial arts where I'm at that if you are going to throw someone, you are going to throw them into something like a wall or cement column or furniture to stun them. Of course this is not intended to kill anyone, it is just using the environment around you to help temporarily stun the criminal to give time to get the upper hand and make the arrest, etc.

Have you ever used or trained Sutemi inside a house or in a parking lot surrounded by cars? You don't have much room to maneuver. You end up either bringing the person down into a ground fight, or you get jammed against something and aren't able to complete the throw. Inside a house, Sutemi aren't fight enders unless you snap their neck on the way down, otherwise Sutemi means ground fighting will follow, IME.

3. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

I'm wondering if antachi-waza can fit somewhere here......
    just a thought...that's all.

4. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I'll say. You remember Jason, the tall guy, last time I saw him he was a green belt going for blue. He did an ude maki sutemi (I think they call this long arm hanging in jujutsu) to me before I knew what it even was, and smash, my head was in the floor, and I was down. He didn't even force the leverage on the arm. Needless to say I was never anyone's guineapig without knowing what the technique was after that. :D

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The techniques twist the spine/snap the neck on the way down (for instance, landing them so there is impact on their shoulder and side of the head), that is how I was taught.

6. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I don't think you are familiar with the sutemi in Yoseikan, most are throws out of locks or chokes, designed to take a resisting opponent to the ground to end the fight.

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So you're really doing the damage to the neck and not the head. :yeleyes:

8. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I actually do drills to go from ude domoe to hiza oshi taoshi on a second attacker. This is a hantachi waza.

9. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

I don't see where he did....and sutemi isn't always done when the person has hold of you, I know a good deal in which you have a hold of them but not the other way around.

Does the ground count too? :D

Um...so in that case, how about we don't use it in that situation? We never said that sutemi is a must, it's merely a part of a martial artist's repertoire. :D There are multitudes of other techniques that are more appropriate. You are meant to train to be aware of your surroundings, and let instinct take over, I believe you said this yourself. So how about......yeah, we use it in the middle of a basketball court and there is only one person to fight against? And that's still if we want to go down to the ground....sutemi is only an option.

Also some sutemi "gets rid" of a person so that they are thrown a distance, not all require you to be intimately attached to one another....in that case, ground fighting is less likely to occur, and if it does, it's cause the thrower is too slow to get up or didn't do the job properly. If you choose sutemi that requires you to stick very close iwth the opponent, then you are right, ground fighting is likely to occur.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Maybe so, but I questioned if you ever trained these inside a crowded house with furniture and walls? Since you were advocating the use of them for home defense.

The sacrifice throws I've trained the most with are from my BJJ training and they all end in submissions or ground fighting. The sacrifice throws taught in Kajukenbo (the martial art I teach mostly) are all designed to twist the spine/neck/tail bone on my hip or across the top of my knee. In all cases the opponent must have lost their balance before initiating the throw.

Question, have you every tried Sutemi on someone who has maintained their balance and they must "sit down" (collapse), what is the result?

11. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Long arm hanging is good, it can be done with or without tight clothing. Plus it always works if done correctly, it just severely unbalances you. Not even a yogi can resist it, the barring arm stops him from putting his head or body between his legs.

These days I do it without grabbing the gi, cause it's more versatile, plus you can use the other arm to get awesome crankage pressure on the elbow.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  12. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

A good example is if a big guy is pushing and you grab his arm on the out side, then spin under it on the inside to do a Yuki Chigai (Sankyo), but instead of the usual turn under you sacrifice because you know the kuzushi and atemi will do squat. This is the equivalent of sacrificing to do an Irish Whip (a similar technique is called ude gaeshi in Judo see http://estadium.ya.com/judoweb/udegaesh.gif)

This is the sort of sutemi in Yoseikan.

13. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I would like to say this wouldn't happen in a Yoseikan sutemi, but it could, I have just never been able to. I told a story of a sutemi being done to me without knowing what it was, and there wasn't even enough time for me to try this, techniques was performed way to fast.

14. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

I don't know if you've been to Australia, but Japan we ain't. :D Houses are of a decent size, and I'm a bit OCD.....keep the house fairly clean and I hate clutter.

Wow, don't know many of those. Care to give examples? Sounds interesting.

2nd principle, unbalancing. If you haven't unbalanced, then there is no point of even considering a technique, much less sutemi. Might as well use atemi as long as you have followed the 1st principle....get out of the way, or at the very least, block.

15. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Budo is life. Hence my home is set up in a favourable way. As a scout I was taught, "always be prepared." :D

16. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Some would say, "room to move". I would say, "room to throw". :D

17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

It was a two part formula (1) They have lost their balance AND (2) they grab hold of you.

If (2) but not (1) - they maintain balance - then it is easy for a much larger person to "sit down" and collapse on top of you. It's a good thing you can rack the stack with your leg presses, because you will be supporting his entire weight on your legs in this case.

If (1) but not (2) - they do not have a hold of you - then this is an ideal situation for many techniques because their balance/posture is broken and they have no control over you. Sutemi is just one option, the question is, why are you surrendering your balance with Sutemi when you do not have to?

18. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Yeah. For public consumption though, not all sutemi require heaps of room to throw, usually some can happen on 1.5 square metres.

19. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Your preaching to the converted :D

I was just trying to make a joke :(

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Missing the point here I think. When someone can brace against a wall or piece of large furniture to counter or regain their balance, after a sacrifice throw attempt in this situation, now you are on the ground and they are on top of you.