Aikido Techniques

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by 0gmios, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Would love to have seen him in his prime. The attacker was being abit too respectful.

The Bear.

2. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I would hypothesize that the names in Tsutsumi actually come from Judo. Traditionaly, koryu jujutsu have very esoteric names for their techniques. Even some of the techniques would have been absorbed from Judo.

The fact that Tsutsumi Masao died in 1898 means that people like the Saito brothers and Higashi would have had other teachers. Higashi would have only been a teenager as he was in his twenties when he arrived in the US in 1904. If the Saito's were 60 when they were teaching Jan de Jong, they would have only been around 30. The history of Tsutsumi seems to be much more convoluted then some believe.

The English tags for Kujiki are `crush', `break', `sprain', `discourage'. So it is a suitable name.

Regards

3. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I missed this,
    Why do sutemi have to limited to situations with only a single attacker? In Yoseikan we practice rising methods, and continuations to sutemi. In a clash with a couple of big guys, a sutemi can bring one down fast, and then if you have a good position after, you will be well placed to deal with the next attaker. Although he might think twice if you just dropped his friend with an effortless and yet devastating sacrifice throw :D

Regards,

4. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

I'd still hesitate to use them in a multiple attacker situation, but they are not that bad for multiple attackers, just cause you go to the ground does not mean you stay there. If the opening comes...I will take it.

5. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

True. But big guys, a couple of them, are probably going to try and take you down and start wailing on you. So why not take one down with you, HARD!

Regards,

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Particularly if you can throw him AT the other guy.But I tend to think if I am on my feet I can RUN :D

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  7. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Even better, if you find yourself in a closing sandwich, tomoe-nage one into the other!

Perfect! You now don't have to run! :D

But in all seriousness....use sutemi waza like alcohol, responsibly. :D

8. koyo

Young whippersnapper. YOU DARE to tell a Scotsman how to use alcohol???? :D
    Best tactic get THEM tanked. :Angel:

regards koyo

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  9. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Now thats a good aikido technique :D

10. koyo

No doubt you would be the first to volunteer.Sadly I am one of those rare beings. A Scotsman who does not drink.

regards koyo

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Don't worry I'll drink your share ;)

12. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

No, I am an Englishman who does not drink :)

13. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Two now :p

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

When I studied Aikido we did practice sacrifice throws.

Like all techniques, however, they are subject to the opponent(s) and the environment. I have found that the more experienced martial artists tend to know when to use them and when not to.

Incidentally, anyone else train using the seven second rule (guideline)? From contact, no more than three seconds up and no more than four seconds down?

15. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Please explain?

16. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Oh, what style?

17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Aikido Schools of Ueshiba

18. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Ah, Saotome Sensei. Interesting, very interesting. I would love to see Saotome Sensei do some sutemi. What sort of sacrifice throws, locks, chokes, judo?

Regards,

19. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Seven second rule:

On first contact, you have 3 or less seconds to down an opponent. After you down them, you have 4 seconds or less to do your damage and successfully disengage.

This is a guideline rather an a rule. It can be used in sparring/randori against a fully resisting opponent.

The guideline is means to measure how effective your technique is for the real world. If you take too long, it is only a matter of adding multiple attackers to show how important it is to use what is fluid, instinctive and quick rather than try complex and slow.

20. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Sutemi would fit in well here. We can basically do a sacrifice throw from every technique. This works well if you get unexpected resistance. I was even told of a small gentleman at the Yoseikan who would sacrifice from kote gaeshi. Apparently this worked well even though he was small than the others.

Regards,