Aikido seen by a Wing Chunner, as well as questions

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Tatsuma, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Something which I also wanted to mention but forgot in my earlier post.

One of my newer students asked me recently about why we train a greater portion of our time on the mat using katate-dori as the basis of connection.

My answer to this question was three fold.

To start with, using katate-dori is a great way to develop an understanding of the core principles of aikido, and doing so in a very safe and controlled way. Learning aspects of timing, distance, posture, positioning, balance, co-ordination, confidence and martial spirit all begin with the simplest of forms - katate-dori.

If we look at the influences of sword, staff and knife within aikido it doesn't take much of an imagination to work out that once in contact with a person wielding one (or more) of these weapons, our actions are 95% identical to what we'd do from katate-dori, the biggest difference of course is that they're no longer holding our wrist, indeed quite often we're holding theirs !

Finally, we have the aspects of aikido philosophy to take on board, although aikido is a Budo, the ideology is one of unification, 'bringing people together' and using aikido as a means of developing harmony between individuals thus under these auspices, practicality in technique isn't a major factor now, although I fully accept the legitimacy of aikido philosophy, I don't fully subscribe to the whole notion of "conflict resolution without violence" or indeed "Unification of people". Ultimately I try not to label or classify Aikido into anything other than "martial art" If people want spiritual development that's fine with me but I'm not qualified to teach such things thus, the first two aspects of my answer above relate to me any my interest in aikido.

Regards

2. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Hi Tatsuma, I must agree and disagree with what everyone else has said about the grade of a person doesn't matter, in my oppinion I think that depends on the school if it were a McDojo then people of higher grades you may expect to be beaten or unable to use their techinques incorrectly, for instance I know plenty of people who can perform Kata beautifully and there for pass their grading but couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag on the street. On the other hand asome people no matter what grade aren't naturaly bron fighters and so simply can't fight or use techniques to their situation.

As for Judo and TKD not having "real"efficiency on the street I think it comes down to how long you've been training in either art and if your the type of person to be able to pull off using Judo or TKD on the street. This is my oppinion anyway.

All the best

Mike

3. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Nice posts by the way Dave ;)

4. Dave Humm

In relation to the whole Aikido vs. other arts debate.

There are so many variables to this debate that it IMO becomes a nonsense to begin to rationally discuss it to a common conclusion.

At the end of the day "it" all boils down to what the individual student wants from their study and how honest they are about their own skills and importantly, the actual reason why they train.

Regards

5. tinit

tinit Valued Member

i thought aikdo was ment to be a MA which can take down more than 1 oppent with ease?

6. Dave Humm

“…meant to be" what exactly and to whom ? We all train for differing reasons, not just for self defence.

Substitute the word "aikido" in your statement with any number of arts both koryu and gendai and we'd have the same debate.

It isn't the art specifically which is meant to be anything in particular, it's the person using those skills in any given way. Because of the various styles of the art aikido can be any of the following:

A fighting method
    A sport
    An art
    A philosophy
    A means of deep spiritual and personal development
    All of the above.

Regards

7. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

In support of what has been said before in this thread:
    It's not Aikido which takes down opponents, it is PEOPLE. No MA can make any claims - only people can. For me, yes, Aikido has helped me deal with multiple attackers, but I'm me, nobody else.

All those people have different levels of skill, bravery, knowledge, etc which makes it pointless to talk in this way IMHO. Don't make claims for a particular MA:

If you do, you descend to the level of the worst McDojo: 'Train with me for 10 weeks and you will definitely be able to kill, bed beautiful blondes, be rich beyond your dreams and have powers of invisibility' - oh and it'll cost a mere £1,000!'

(anyone with the name Hopelessly Gullible may send me a PM for enrolment, but watch out - the blonde may not be female!! :) )

8. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I'ts interesting you say that, because it virtually sums up Kenjutsu perfectly, which of course has a very heavy influence on Aikido.

If you ever watch a sword match between two experts, there are no 'techniques' to speak of. One of them cuts, he either hits or he misses and is cut himself. This is simply good use of timing and distance - something you can't really learn properly unless you train in the techniques you see more commonly during class.

9. tonyr1967

tonyr1967 Valued Member

Gents an interesting thread.

My comments for what they're worth.

I've trained in WC since the late 80's and found it both in and out of the training hall found the principles to be very effective.
    Perhaps because of the way in which I was trained, personal aptitude or a little of both - I found WC to be particularly devastating in a very short period of time. As time improved, so did I (although ultimately - my personal choice was to move outside of the art and I now train JKD). However, I digress.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a rather inarticulate way is that training method and personal attributes are often the key differentiator in any kind of physical conflict.

Several years ago, I met a now friend on the South coast of the UK who studied and taught Aikido – he was one of Segal’s crowd – and truthfully was awesome to behold. His positioning was top notch and his techniques both practical and destructive.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  10. Dave Humm

Really ? I assume given the connection of the name and aikido - Your reference to "Segal" is none other than Steven Seagal ?

If that is the case, I'm surprised to learn that we have a Tenshin or Makato Dojo representitive in the UK. Can you be a bit more specific with location or perhaps a website ?

Regards

11. tonyr1967

tonyr1967 Valued Member

Hi Dave,

The gent in question is called Dean Nichola, not sure of his whereabouts or even if he still teaches at all - As I left the area some time ago (90's) and then finally the south completely, a few years back.

He was a very nice guy and I got on very well with him; alas work took me away and I've struggled (failed miserably) to stay in touch.

Apologies in advance for my lack of assistance.

12. Dave Humm

No problems mate, thanks for that.

Regards

13. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

Wow, mention Segal, and people (Dave=God) freak out.

tonyr1967, dude, when you talk to God, make sure you have every possible fact.

14. Dave Humm

Aiki-jo, try to post like an adult and not some pre-pubescent pre-gonad virgin.

You've been back on this forum for less than 2 minutes and you're already acting like a TROLL AGAIN, you've already had two swipes at me -one in this thread and one in another. I suggest you go read the forum's terms and conditions because, clearly your either

A.. too STUPID to realise what a TROLL is and has fogotten the previous threads and comments about you here in this forum, including those from moderators

or

B... You are intentionally acting like a pillock.

either way you need to grow up and act like an adult.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  15. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Aiki-jo

Does your forum name really translate into: 'one who is in harmony with the spirit of a wooden pole?'

Is this why you regard Dave as a higher being? We can all be childish - see how easy it is? Mine's 'kiaiki' which leads you round in a circle of energy and harmony- useful at times.

On this forum we ask each other questions because we are interested in knowing more about our art, not to score points, even when we argue (well, at least we try!).

As a reference point, imagine that you are in a public bar with all of us and ask yourself if you would be happy to express yourself in the same way. If you wouldn't feel happy to insult someone in that context, don't do it here!

16. Dave Humm

BTW His new MAP name is "Waterboy" :D As in the Adam Sandler role

17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Kiaiki -- he's stuck in the Sin Bin, so he can't talk right now.

Let's be nice. No need to goad him. "Don't feed the troll" and all that.

18. Dave Humm

Ok Mac... will do.

Just off to get a drink of water cos boy I'm a bit thirsty.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Here endeth the baiting.

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

;) and :p You're making me want to see that movie.
    Have a good weekend, Dave.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005