Aikido on the streets

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Cougar_v203, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Thanks Dexter

I guess theres only way way to find out - and thats to do it.

2. WOspidermonkey

WOspidermonkey New Member

Alright this is a little sarcastic but there are always guns. I mean people always use them as a last resort but i will be damned if some guy tries to pull a knife and stab me and for 20 dollars and a credit card. People are taught to be the "better man/woman" but its your life and no one NO ONE can take it. So do what u can to protect urself. Martial arts is what u use when u cant carry weapons. The key here is dont fight for fun and and try to avoid fights at all cost.

3. master35

master35 New Member

here in the phil. after getting rob and giving all your money to a drug addict holdaper his still going to stab you even if your a woman.

4. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

I will give you two examples of when Aikido has worked for myself and my friend, whom i train and teach with.

Situation 1- My friend is in a pub in europe, when for whatever reason he is getting hassle from the owner, so as the owner gets closer and more aggressive my friend simple slips on sankyo to the guy and simply leads the guy out of the pub. Once outside my friend lets the sankyo go but proceeds to move into a better restraint-Katatedori(shoulder grab) but rather than stand in front off him when grabbing which is very easy for him to be hit back he moved off line as you would do in class, so the guy could not do a thing he was so well restrained and his feet so well pinned to the ground he could only go down- Result one very embaressd bar owner who was beaten without being beat.

Situation 2- I ended up having an argument with someone who was insisting that the ideas behind martial arts were rubbish and they dont work. he kept p***ing me off asking to show him somthing. As he was drunk he started to get out off order so i simple grabbed him in mortodori(two hand grab on 1 arm) Once again i attacked him as i would in the dojo, i made sure my restraint was effective and controling as i was off line he could not punch me as he tried but failed and if he kicks i can pull him over that leg so he is pinned at the feet. After that he aggreed that he could not do a thing and i agreed that if i waited for him to attack me it may have been a different story.

What im trying to say is that As Aikido is not simple an art of self defence but a true Budo. You dont and should not stand there and wait to be attacked, you have to enfluence the attacker, to attack you,or get in there first. That is what the founder wrote in his book. Tori always starts off attack weather it be offering somthing to grab or attack or simple stiking to get a response.

I always was taught that the attacks and restraints should be as effective as the outcome. This is a principle of Budo

5. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

All I have to say is that Aikido has saved my life many times in the "streets"

6. master35

master35 New Member

got an experience with a drunk guy expecting me to use martial arts and he was becoming hostile and bothering me even when i was not talking to him because he's a known drunkard and always starts talking to others and ends up in a fight... got a beer bottle broke it in his head got a 20t serious physical injury case w/c was brought down to just physical injury because he still could walk to the hospital according to my lawyer.

7. Budd

Budd Valued Member

I've found that the best thing that I've used aikido for "in the streets" is to avoid trouble altogether.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That, and a good tenkan.

9. Budd

Budd Valued Member

A good tenkan helps immensely in ballroom dancing, as well. Particularly doing the waltz, tango and foxtrot. The better you are at moving from your center, the more easily you can lead a receptive partner. Now did that apply to dancing, aikido or both?

I'm confusing myself . . .

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hmm, Aikido techniques applied to ballroom dancing :D

11. aikisan

aikisan New Member

i want to express my gratitude to aikido because it saves my preciousssss.........cellphone.

12. Budd

Budd Valued Member

Actually, looking back at the title of this thread got me thinking . . . . I much prefer doing aikido in the dojo than on the street.