Aikido, Judo, Hapkido?????????

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ginx10k, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Jeez mate, if your in New York, you've got one of the world's best Aikido Shihan on your door step.

Yamada Yoshimitsu Shihan - New York Aikikai. I stayed and trained there in November of 2000.

www.nyaikikai.com

Check them out.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Dave makes a good point, dude. Take the opportunity to learn aikido at the NY Aikikai.

3. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

Thanks guys, I'm definetly going to check out that dojo. but listen, anyone know how I can find Hapkido dojo in NYC. I searched all over the net, but if anyone knows of any HKD places, plz let me know. thx again for the link.

4. Dave Humm

You'd be better asking that question over in the Hapkido forum mate.

Regards

5. Dave Boy

Dave Boy New Member

Danny,

If you contact Thomas or Stuart (American HKD), they should be able to put you intouch with someone in the NYC area. Thomas is North of NY, while Stuart is in North Philly. I believe Stuart's original instructor still has a school in the area - but he would be the one to give you all the details.

Cheers,

Dave.

6. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

alright, then, back to my original posts:

what does aikido training help you do physically. From what I've seen it's pretty gentle art, (I've only seen a few throws and falls). I know that Judo builds power, cause of it's training, well can someone say what will aikido help build or enhance, and about how long will it take--just an estimate. In fact, I'll put this on one post, I've seen and read a little more about Aikido, my question is, after about how long will it take to adapt Aikido to real life situations? and is it possible to throw people that are larger and heavier then you after training in Aik for a good amount of time; and if so, does Hapkido incorporate the same power.

basically I'm asking if I train in Aik or HKD, will I be able to throw biggggger people around, using techniques learned in either.

Does HKD have as many good throws as AIK?

sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm still trying to get a better understanding of these systems, and asking realistic questions is the only way to get the answers I want.

thanks a lot

Danny

7. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Nah, the only way to get the answers you want is to try the arts, extensively!

I've been told the answers to these sort of questions many times. Strangely, I'm still asking the questions, though only to myself. Without any first hand experience of using Aikido in a fight, I don't know the answers. Even if I did get into a fight, it would only be one fight. I'd still be asking "what if this happens?"

Telling you answers to these questions is a bit like being told the answer to a maths sum. Except, if you haven't worked it out for yourself, you don't get the answer, because every answer is based on the individuals "truth", and your "truth" is not the same as their's (to paraphrase Bruce Lee). Martial arts training, in any art, is working out the sum.

In terms of HKD vs AIKIDO, all martial arts work. If then, they both work, start training in ANY one and start working "the sum" out for yourself. Through the process of calculation, you'll find out what styles you might need to train in, if it all.

General advice for getting into Aikido: I think Aikido takes faith. You'll never know unless you jump in. Approach it with an open mind, don't give in to your preconceptions of what "works" and remember, looks can be decieving!

Crikey...what is it about martial arts and vague psuedo-wisdom and metaphors? It's like a can't help it!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  8. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

no disrespect to ur answer. but u completely ignored my question. I made a simple question too complicated. I just want to know, if Training in Aikido is a good workout, (no I don't mean a great workout like kickboxing) I simply mean, what do the people that have trained in Aikido, get out of it? that's what I want to know.

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well Morihei Ueshiba Sensei, the founder of Aikido, was only around four foot ten inches tall and he was able to down and pin much larger people.

The application of Aiki as in Aikido is basically to learn how to down someone in the SAME direction they are already moving. In practical terms, this requires the ability to unbalance uke (the attacker).

So in Aikido technique, you will learn how to (1) set up the technique (unbalance uke) and then how to (2) apply the technique (take uke down to the ground).

To answer to your question: It can take years to really get good at unbalancing a resisting uke. This takes footwork, timing, and may involve atemi (striking), trapping, etc. For example, how would you go about unbalancing say a 300 lbs professional heavy weight boxer?

The Aikido technique, once uke is unbalanced can be learned fairly quickly, a few months and it should be radically improved when trained with an uke providing some resistance. The techniques are sound although for them to be practical, they need to be trained against resistance.

In (1) unbalancing, the skill is with movement and timing... things that take years to develop to any great level. The application of principles.

In (2) technique, the skill is in getting the best leverage, pressure, and tech to finish off (or down) the opponent.

I've seen fights where (1) unbalancing is achieved but the fighter lacked the skill and experience to conduct good technique to (2) finish off the opponent.

I've also seen fights where (1) unbalancing was not achieved first and the fighter tried to go directly to (2) technique and it failed to work.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

And read the FAQ thread at the top of this forum. There's a reason we put it together.

11. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

What I get out of it?

-Reasonable work out. A good stretch and if it's a night with randori (free defense against attacks ) a proper work out.

-Reasonable self defense skills. Though it might take some time to get the feel of the techniques.

-One hell of a grip. (Suburi practice ) :p.

-A fun hobby, to practice.

-Meeting a lot of new people and friends.

:Angel:

12. Dave Humm

The answer, not to appear unhelpful, is simply what do you want to do physically ?

If you're looking for a combative system of MA then Aikido per se isn't what you're looking for. Yes aikido applications are very effective however; because of the art's philosophical nature and the origins which drive the principles behind the art, you will spend a great deal of time studying aspects of the discipline which may appear otherwise less important that what you perceive.
    Trust me when I say that aikido isn't gentle, the intention of the application, or more importantly the person, is what makes technique gentle or not so. Aikido offers choice; the choice to injure or not as the situation requires. In essence aikido is the epitome of control over another person's physical intent.
    "Power" define that word for me. Aikido will teach you kuzushi - to off balance your opponent, you don't need physical strength (greater than your opponent's) to achieve this, what you will realise through years of study is, the harder and more intent 'their' attack is, the harder and more intent 'their' ukemi becomes - one is relevant to the other.

As to "how long" that's entirely up to you and the quality of your study.
    What do you fear? Are you in constant fear of assault? Why do you feel the need to want actively seek "real life" based situations in the study of a classical art? The bottom line IMHO is that anyone who modifies an established orthodox martial art in favour of stripping what they consider to be outdated applications away, then calling it "practical" or "street based" hasn't grasped the entire point of studying BUDO in the first place.

Aikido, Hapkido whatever... Either art will teach you what you need to know however, to learn only what you or anyone else **THINKS** is only applicable in to day's society will no longer be teaching what they say is on the tin. In other words, FORGET about learning "real life situations" or, find a school of H2H such as Crav Maga and the like.

Time to walk through the door of your local club and start training :)

Regards

13. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

Darn, another really great, and btw a an incredebly helpful responses from everyone, specially Dave. thanks, I will look at Aikido with more respect from now on.

14. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Actually, you asked "after about how long will it take to adapt Aikido to real life situations?".
    That's what I was responding to.

Sorry for not being very direct (I have a problem with that :D ). Generally though, my post was about Aikido training in general. It wasn't what you asked for, but I thought it might have been of use for you if you're considering deciding between Aikido and another art when you are new to Aikido/Martial Arts in general.

How goes your decision making? Have you checked out any clubs yet?

15. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

by clubs, do u mean dojos? or something else. and yea, I have checked out one dojo, and it was boring as hell. however, I was told on this post, that I live near one of the best aikido places around (in NY), so I definetly intend on checking it out.

one more thing, I like this thing about Aikido offers choice, it makes me really want to learn. I wonder though, does Hapkido offer choice or does it simply have the intention to harm, any words?

what I meant by power, was that in Judo it is said that you gain great upper body strength and other physical improvements. so I wonder if Aikido has any such advantages to the physical body. I'm just wondering

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

By its basic makeup, Hapkido offers solutions to various levels of force, starting at awareness and avoidance, escalating to breakaways and getting into painful locks (which can be escalated or de-escalated) and getting into striking. There is a great deal of emphasis placed on using only as much force as needed in my opinion.