Aikido, Judo, Hapkido?????????

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ginx10k, Mar 7, 2006.

1. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have been trying to get some questions answered by reading many posts, but it's not enuff. so I'm going to ask them myself. I would appreciate answers in the form that the questions are asked:

1) Is Hapkido and Aikido about the same thing. Please just state differences, aside from the obvious strikes difference.

2) I hear that Aikido takes long time to learn, does Hapkido take as long? and is Aikido worth learning? or should I just stick with Hapkido?

3) What should be the base martial art: Hapkido; Aikido; Judo;

4) I'm already taking Kickboxing, I want to mix two more MAs, should it be Judo and Hapkido; Aikido and Judo; Kenpo-Jujitsu and Judo; Kenpo-Jujitsu and Hapkido; or Kenpo-Jujitsu and Aikido.

If you ask what I'm trying to accomplish: well, for now I'm trying to get into really great shape (kickboxing), and I want to learn good throws takedowns, and other things that I can actually use in self-defense; however, I don't want to take BJJ for the time being. So with the choices presented, would anyone care to answer my questions.

thank you,

Danny

P.S: I need to know soon, bcause this week I need to make my decision so that I can start next week.

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Goooorden Bennett!! :p

Some good questions there mate.
    They have the same lineage back to Daito Ryu and Takeda Sokaku but, the Koreans mixed other influences with what is now known as Hapkido. Additionally, so I'm reliably informed, there are as many differing styles of Hapkido as there are Aikido, some good and some not so good thus, it is difficult to fully answer your question on "differences"
    Well, "how long" depends upon several factors, how many hours you put in to your training on a weekly basis, how ell you pick it all up, how comprehensive the training is, is the 'style' you study orthodox or are you training in a school which has a "57 varieties" background... And a few more besides.

The long and the short of this all is that it depends on you and what your motives are for training. - Aikido is generally considered a long term study and there are other arts both modern and old which might be quicker to learn for self defence applications if that's what floats your skirt.
    That's entirely up to you based on what you want to gain however, the three systems all have common principles, the main one being Kuzushi (to off balance your opponent) thus it shouldn't really matter.

My advice (because I'm biased) Try aikido for a year, if you have the opportunity of either Yoshinkan or Iwama styles go for them but, you will need to commit yourself to at least a year's worth to get even just an overall picture of either system. Judo will teach you the ground work which Aikido doesn't have thus, Aikido and Judo will mix nicely. At the risk of rattling the HKD community, I will say that I'm not altogether impressed with the whole HKD 'thing' (although I admit that's just a perceptive opinion) Hapkido is based upon Japanese Jujutsu (as is Aikido) thus I see no reason to study the Korean 'version' but that's just me.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  3. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

Thanks for the great response. I hope to hear other people's replies just as well organized and mature, as Dave's.

thanks again Dave.

4. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

Indeed, very good response.
    I do not think I can add anything of much value,
    except maybe that hapkido encompasses some of the throws of judo as well.

Seeing that you wish to get into good shape, and learn throws and throwdowns, I would suggest judo is the best option.

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I like the answers Dave Humm provided as far as differences and such go. For an ":answer in a nutshell", it's pretty good. A good article to read can be found right here on MAP which may add some perspectives and depth: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/magazine/styles/hapkido1.htm
    I am biased towards Hapkido (but I also have a bit of exposure to Aikido as well, through seminars and through Hankido).

Here what I would say Hapkdio offers (as opposed to Aikido): Hapkido takes the same root (Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu) and adds in some other elements, including a very good striking system (through Ji Han-jae's influence), throws (judo style), other weapons (cane, short stick, etc.). The flavor is distinctly different, and I personally find Hapkido to be a bit rougher and more vicious (I see Aikido as being a "softer" art in philosophy). With a good Hapkido school, you won't need to do as much cross training in throws and whatnot (although I still recommend cross training and exploration).

My advice would be to check out all of the local schools (all arts) and do a few trial lessons, talk to the instructor about what you like, and choose the one that fits you best.
    Good luck!

6. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

alright, we're doing good guys. U just showed me why Hapkido is interesting, now anyone taking Aikido that has done other martial arts, want to comment in this thread?

thanks for all good responses.

7. Dave Humm

Sound advice I can't argue there :)

8. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

the problem, I've been checking out a few schools lately, I've even participated in a couple of classes, but I only get a short view of what Aikido and other martial arts actually are. for instance I went to a Hapkido school a few days ago. and they weren't doing much but some practice and stuff for a while. Then, they started sparring and I got to see a whole bunch of moves that I would love to learn. but during practise I got to see moves that I didn't like. that's normal I guess.

2) When I checked out Aikido school, it looked so boring, because of the practice they were doing had no throws or anything cool, they were doing something with a staff, where one guy grabbed the staffed and the other guy would knock the guy down with some weird looking move. what I mean is that from what I saw I was really bored, but I'm smart enough to understand that I only saw a little bit of aikido, that's why I'm asking for you people that have actually taken it long enough to know how it actually is compared to Hapkido and Kenpo and Judo. because I'm just trying to get a nice broad perspective on the art.

thanks,

Danny

P.S: I did have fun at the Kenpo school, and they offer Kickboxing so I might take those two arts, mixed in with either Hapkido or Aikido or Judo. Still deciding.

9. Dave Humm

I'll come back to on the "other arts" comment.

Whilst entirely at the opposite end of the 'martial' spectrum, I also have a deep interest in the Japanese sword; this form of training is in my considered opinion, a vital part of understanding Aikido.

Talk to any Iwama-Ryu student/instructor and they'll give you several reasons why this is so however, I'll elaborate on jut one. Origin.

Aikido's movements are heavily influenced by classical weapons of Japan, the sword being just one of those. Almost all of the aiki taiso (empty handed applications) are based largely or in part on the use of a weapon, be it employed on one's own hands or in defence there of.

Although there are, I’m sure, many intricate subtleties between the various sword schools which existed and still exist today, generically speaking there are three methods of drawing a Japanese sword; all three are represented in orthodox aikido movements.

1. Vertical - this movement is seen clearly within Ikkyo ude osae
    2. Horizontal - this movement is seen clearly within shiho nage
    3. Gyaku te - The hand is reversed in position and is classically seen in applications such as kote geashi, shiho nage, uchi kaiten etc.

Then we have directions of movement in the upper body and entire torso, again heavily influenced by weapons use.

Whilst it would be unfair for me to try and compare Hapkido against Aikido in terms of quality or effectiveness, I am suitably qualified to say that to understand something we must also understand the "why". Without understanding why we do something in a particular way our knowledge is shallow and often meaningless - The origins (the how and why) of orthodox aikido is based upon Daito Ryu Aiki jujutsu and several weapons influences most notably Kashima Shinto Ryu therefore, study of Iwama-Ryu Aikido under Saito Hitohiro Sensei would be the most comprehensive method however, if Iwama-Ryu is unavailable, I would strongly suggest supplementing aikido with a specific classical weapon such as Jodo (way of the Jo) and or Iaido (way of the sword).

Regards

10. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

:rolleyes:
    Didn't I already?

:D Sorry, that was to good to miss up. Sorry, very good contributions everyone.

11. Dave Humm

Ok, Danny no disrespect but your comments above give off a slightly negative vibe in respect of what you actually 'think' training and learning a martial art is about (well classical arts anyway) You cannot expect to see things which either make sense or perhaps even "look good" until you've spent a reasonable amount of time within the art its self, I can assure you that what looks 'flash' in the dojo or dojang will NEVER look or operate the same way for real hence, you're looking at your art with rose tinted glasses. Forget what looks "good" any half decent Judoka, Aikidoka or Hapkidoist can make anything they do look good however; by and large this is because the person they are working with is being co-operative. Resistance never looks pretty. Trust me I know from 6 years of first hand experience.
    You answered your own question essentially and that's why I said before about committing to at least a year's worth of study before making a firm decision.

Oh and BTW in my opinion, kickboxing is in the main a waste of time, its a sport not a martial art, anyone offering "dan grades" in Kickboxing is using an accepted method of Japanese certification to gain credibility. If you meant Muay Tai then that's an entirely different thing. Most kickboxing schools aren't worth wasting your time on.

Regards

12. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

I checked out the website, and it gave me much valuable insight. I read everyone else's post and I understand what your saying, specially you Dave. One more thing, what are u telling me Dave, that Muay Thai is way better then just american KickBoxing? please explain. Wont' Kickboxing get me into great shape(depending upon my commitment). because that's what I mostly want. However wat r u saying about Muay thai.

13. Dave Humm

Ok, two things here then..

1, If fitness IE Cardiovascular improvement is what you require then providing the activity you undertake lifts your core body temp and you maintain this consistently over a period of time (each session) then yes you'll get fitter however; you could do this to greater effect by going to specific circuit training at your local gym.

2, If you were looking to develop martial skills then if I were choosing between American Kickboxing or Muay Thai, I'd take Muay every time.

The best place to discuss kickboxing and Muay would be in this website's Kickboxing forum. I cannot comment specifically much further because I have no practical experience of either system, I have however had the opportunity to work with a Muay Thai exponent when I was working in the south of England and I can testify he was friggin' tough as old boots.

In retrospect to kickboxing, I may well be generalising a bit too much but, here where I live we have several KB schools, none of them have particularly good reputations, the local karate establishments have nothing complimentary to say about them either. One of my current students has a KB background and frankly he's been taught a load of old dog’s balls, this is especially apparent when those students of mine with classical karate backgrounds (Shotokan and Kyokushinkai) train together.

Regards

14. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

I respect ur reply. and I won't let this become about KB, cause it's about Hapkido, Aikido, Judo. let's here some more comments on lets say, self-defense using a combo of Hapkido+Judo or Aikido+Judo. Which would u prefer. If u care to comment on this guys.

15. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Self-defence is complicated enough with one system. There are infinate variables. There's no mathmatical formula (Hapkido+Judo > Aikido+Judo at self defence). If self-defence is what's important, go somewhere where they teach practical, simple techniques to realistic scenarios (e.g. RBSD).

Thankfully, I've never had to use any physical applications of anything I've learnt in the Martial Arts in a self-defence situation. However, if the instructor is good, Hapkido and Aikido (in fact, all arts, even American Kickboxing!) teach valid self-defence skills.

From my personal experience however, Judo and American Kickboxing are sport based Martial Arts, which I think makes a lot of difference in effectiveness in self-defence. However, this focus isn't the same in all KB or Judo clubs. I've personally seen good KB schools who teach SD decent techniques at the sparring is very eye-opening.

To sum up, the obligatory...

It's not the style that matters, it's how you train!

Train intensively in a system. When you've got that pretty well honed (and your mind and body are working together), supplement it with some cross-training. Just my opinion mind.

16. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I've only taken judo, so I can't really comment on the others, but I can say that Judo is great. It has loads of throws, and can have good groundwork, but some schools seem to neglect it a bit, so if that's what you're after, take a look at the club first.

17. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

To go along with one of the points Dave Humm was making, it takes a long time to become "good". Within a Hapkido school, the first few months will be practicing breakfalls, strikes, and basic technqiues. After a year, you should have a decent base. Within 2 years of study, it should be better. Attaining 1st dan black belt will take about 3-5 years (+/-)... and a lot of work. If you are looking for quick and easy self defence, perhaps a look at RBSD systems might be better. Hapkdio is good, but it takes a while to be a good practitioner.

Hapkido is a well rounded system and contains a good striking system, faling system and has within it the foundations of throwing and grappling (although not all school may emphasize this). The throws of some Hapkido schools are very similar (if not the same) as basic Judo throws, making the further exploration of Judo skills simpler to do from a Hapkido base.

If you are interested in taking a (Hapkido) base system and adding on other aspects like different striking, Judo throws, FMA weapons, Ground grappling, and so on, maybe you should take a look at Combat Hapkido (www.ichf.com). Check out http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16727 for the good, bad, and ugly about Combat Hapkido.

18. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

nice response. more and more insight into the world of martial arts, I'm getting from you people. I love this forum. thanks a lot!

19. Dave Boy

Dave Boy New Member

Hi Danny,

Following up on Dave Humm's original reply - there are some good HKD schools, and there are some really bad ones.....especially in this country ( :bang: ). I've met and trained with many of the good ones - and I also have experience with some of the bad ones.

The same could also be said of Aikido - I've seen some very, very good classes that have impressed me a great deal - and I've also seen some that may leave you less than impressed.

I guess what I'm getting at - is that you can say the same about a good deal of the arts currently practised not only in this country, but also around the world.

My advise would be to check out as many of the schools available to you locally, get a feel for the classes, the instructor(s), the students etc and see what 'fits' you best.

Good luck mate, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Dave.

20. ginx10k

ginx10k New Member

New York Hapkido

Well listen up, I'm dying to take Hapkido, but in the New York City area, there is only two schools that I've found so far, and they're both the same school just in different locations. I've gone online everywhere, and I can't find anything in the 5 boroughs of New York City that teaches Hapkido. If anyone knows of one then please tell me, it might not be listed online. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know if this school is good or not, I have no basis for comparisson.

thanks guys,

Danny