Aikido is not technique; not fighting

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by izumizu, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

From what I understand, he actually taught very little, and explained even less. And still, I would say that the one who most closely approximates Osensei in application of aikido would be Gozo Shioda, a man who only spent 10 years with him.

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

And what do you base this assumption on ?

Cite me a source which suggests what you're alluding too and I'll point you in the direction of an entire aikido organisation which would refute it.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

there are unfortunately several hapkido "grandmasters" and "masters" in the united states. a bit off-putting i must say. i put those in quotes because 1.) it's a ridiculous statement 2.) i have no idea what the hell grandmaster is supposed to mean anyway.

4. Dave Humm

Its a result of the prolification of BS status symbols within martial arts.

Once upon a time a black belt meant something, now, because those with egotistical nature aren't content with what a black belt once represented, they have to wear all manner of crap configurations including red/white/black even gold !!!

The same sad state of affairs exist with titles. "Sensei" no longer means anything to them because it's so often miss-used and equally misunderstood. Hence why you have eejits calling themselves O-Sensei, Grandmaster and even Supreme Grandmaster.. I kid you not.

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

The meaning of Grandmaster = $$$

There's your answer :)

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I know what you mean!

One of my teachers insists on being called Commander!

Although I think that'll change once he gets round to watching Star Trek Nemesis, probably doesn't realise he's had a promotion.

I don't have a problem with it to be honest but having us make "sshk" noises whenever a door gets opened is a bit much, imo.

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Historical and cultural accuracy are all important. Look on the bright side. You can attend all nude weddings ;)

8. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I feel a 1000 tanrenbo suburi beasting coming on.

9. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Did you miss the part of the post that read "I would say?" Well I did say and it is there, in fact you quoted it.

10. Dave Humm

Quite the opposite...

That was in fact the EXACT point I was making..

You attempted to make an authoritative statement about Shidoa's ability but qualified that with - This information might be right, then again it might not ... that's all "I would say" really means.

The fact that you can't qualify your opinion on this and many other things you've stated beyond a self created opinion, indicates to me at least, that you're not as knowledgeable and experienced as you'd have people believe

You have any more pearls of wisdom you'd like share ?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  11. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Excellent, Dave, I would say that you have also made an opinion in the same fashion that I have in my post.

Please keep in mind that by Osensei own admission he was just beginning to understand aikido and what it was that he was still developing in his seventies and that by this time many of his former students had already left his dojo.

Also many of his students were highly trained in other arts could already do martial arts. This does not mean that they still trained with him as he was developing and understanding aikido. Nor does it mean that they could actually do what it was that he was doing.

It does mean that there are a wide variety of interpretations of aikido that exist in the world today, and few of them appear to be practicing and/or demonstrating in the manner in which Osensei does so.

12. Dave Humm

No, I haven't.
    And ? Your point being what exactly.
    And ? Your point being what exactly.
    Why do those interpretations exist, regale me of your opinion.

13. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Those different interpretations exist because you are not refuting the statement I made that they exist...at least not yet :D

14. Sore Knees

Sore Knees Valued Member

what are you on about? you seem to speak in tiresome riddles. sorry Izumizu, I don't mean to be unpleasant but you don't half talk a lot of nonsense.

15. Dave Humm

No. Not in a million years.

Again you clutch at nonsense where a logical and academic answer exist.

How many 'formal' generations of students did Ueshiba Morihei have in his teaching "aiki" in it's various forms ?

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

dave, et. al.

you should consider thread starvation.

17. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Thankyou, I was half expecting you to refute the comment I made.

18. Dave Humm

I did, I asked you how many formal generations of students ueshiba had - this has a DIRECT point to the issue of interpretation in aikido we see today.

You ignored the opportunity of discussing the topic, as usual.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  19. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

That is not refuting what I say, that is merely saying that this has a direct point to the issue of interpretation in aikido we see today. Infact by making this point you are not refuting what it is that I say.

As usual, I think our topics of discussion differ.

20. Dave Humm

The simple fact of this is you don't know why. Now you're talking in riddles because you have nothing sensible to contribute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.