Aikido in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Amoeba, Jan 27, 2009.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

Its true his expanation is long winded, they are water ukes and there is no danger i.e. it is a teaching demo only - for newbs - its easy to sense for joe newb the elementary concepts (IMO).

The vid with Tamura Shihan does require experience to sense/feel the sheer energy, movement and power - this is not for newbs. To sense this from a vid is extremly difficult (without significant experience) and does require as much real-life immersion as possible. There is no chitchat in this vid, thats for sure.

What I was getting at is that Aikido and Taichi are difficult martial arts to develop unless you seek out good instruction and get as much immersion as possible. A lot of folk will run out the door, lose interest - unless their spirit is built up somehow. Randori (IMHO) is one of the most usefull concepts in Aikido that you can use in a real situation i.e. multiple attackers (beter than in any other art IMHO), but it is normally taught only to very experienced practitioners. To get Aikido's credibility improved (well one way at least), more new Aikidoka need to be able to gain 'real' randori experience - with or without mastery of all the 'official' pre-requisite syllabus techniques.

I await your DVD with some interest, and better still if I get through to Makotokai some time.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Granted the fellow was explaing taisabaki for beginners BUT while doing so he constantly swung his arms across his centreline stood square on to the "attackers and "moved in the same rythm and timing" of the attackers ignoring awase and fundamental principles.

No way to demonstrate aikido.

regards koyo

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Me neither. But I've seen some of the videos you've had posted already. You're almost as good as me ;) :p

4. embra

embra Valued Member

Looking at this again, I can see your points more clearly. Also, he turns himself more than the opponents i.e. they are not unbalanced. Years away from Aikido has dulled my sense of basics.

5. koyo

Bear has opened a thread aikido an insight and downloaded the DVD.

regards koyo

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Koyo where was the course, in Glasgow at the Makotokai ?

7. koyo

It was in Kilmun street rec centre in maryhill.

regards koyo

8. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

I just read an other story that my dad wrote about.
    Koyo was giving an Aikido demonstraion in Glasgow (do not where) and as Koyo was demonstating a young guy watching was saying some insulting remarks also saying that he could "take" that guy demonstating, meaning Koyo. I think he was standing next to my dad ( I am sure Koyo will say if it was not) as the young guy was banging on, my dad (??)who had enough turned to him and said "See that guy up there demonstrating he can beat the crap out if me and do you want to know something else........... .. ...I can beat the crap out of you." Exit one embarassed guy.:hat:

9. koyo

OK kokorokai

Sekiya shihan was giving a seminar in bellahouston and in the gym next to us some weight lifters were crashing weights and screaming.

I asked tommo if he could ask them to tone it down. he left the mat and a few seconds later all we heard was him roaring STFU!!!!

The place went quiet and the course continued. Suddenly this monster came in..a giant with a massive chest and arms sticking out the side.

He growled who is in charge. Tommo strode over..looked at him....and pointed at ME.:bang:

He came over to me with Tommo and Girvan grinning like apes behind him.

He growled "I can bench press twice your weight."

Then my mouth took over and I quipped back "I can reach round and wipe my own ass!!"

He glared at me then started grinning. It was only later I learned he was olympic standard.

regards koyo

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  10. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

I knew my dad was a hero:hat::hat:(ha ha)
    Brilliant Koyo had me in stitches I could just picture the seen.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  11. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Koyo I was told that you and my dad plus students drove from Glasgow over night to Plymouth in a mini bus, got about 2 hours or in some cases no sleep at all and then went to a course given by Sekiya Shihan. I was also told that you and my dad were uke for the whole weekend, it must have been tiring. It was after that course you both approached Sekiya Shihan and asked him to come to Glasgow and he agreed without hesitation. Do you think it was the spirit you and my dad displayed that convinced Sekiya Shihan to come, I am further told he knew that both of you had very little sleep over the weekend and liked the spirit shown by you both. Any comment ?

12. koyo

Used to do that a lot. I played in a group at the time and would often be picked up around two in the morning bundled into a mini and driven to wherever there was a course.

I had met Sekiya shihan at a week long seminar in Stirling university that we organised for Chiba shihan. When we heard of Sekiya shihan visiting Plymouth we attended and asked him to come to Glasgow for a weekend course. He agreed and ended up living with me for six weeks.

We took him everywhere we could (including Bella). Wonderfull gentleman.Tommo Geo and I got in a practice almost every night of that six weeks.Zora would have loved that but was only a baby at that time.:):)

Sekiya shihan sent me this photo on his return to Japan.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  13. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

I was told that the course at Bellahouston was on for 3 days and it was packed. Then up to Makotokai for a further 3 days same result packed, then onto Sensei Girvans club in Cumbernauld same result. With Aikidoka coming from all over I bet it was excellent, no politics no anything just practice.
    I have a photo somewhere of you and my dad with Seykia Shihan and Sekiya San at Glasgow Central Station on their departure back home, my dad said he felt sad at Sekiya Shihan's departing. He kept in contact with him writing letters etc. Dad said Sekiya was gentle but the technique was powerful as the late Sensei Girvan found out at one of the practises, all I know is that Sensei Girvan's face was a picture when a technique was applied by Sekiya Shihan on him.:hat:

14. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Koyo I have just read in my dad's diary about a time he came to see you play guitar in Lauders Bar in Glasgow. When some guy came up to you and grabbed your guitar by the neck and you aplied Nikkyo on him by using the guitar any recall about this incident. My dad said he was laughing at the guy's outcome.:cool:

15. koyo

Yep!! See first video on aikido an insight thread (another photo of tommo). It is the same application used when uke attempts to stop the draw of the sword.

In lauders the guy was drunk and standing on stairs next to me I simply ment to wrap his wrist loose but he held on and he flew down the stairs. i remmeber his shoe flew off and hit some of the drinks on a table. Lucky the bouncers got to him before the patrons.

regards koyo

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  16. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Yea I saw the photo also parcel on it's way to you.

17. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Koyo I have found a kanji you did of your dojo Makotokai and you gave it to my dad. It is now up in his bed room.:cool:

18. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Just read another story from my dad.
    Many years ago you both were bouncers in a trendy pub, and both of you have Japanese tattoo,s on your forearms, and a barmaid asked about them. Tommo being Tommo said that you both had lived in a Buddist monastery and had the "marks" burned onto your forearms just like the guy from Kung Fu (big hit on TV at the time) and that you both had been taught secretive martial arts by the monks.:rolleyes:
    The sad part is the barmaid believed it all and told everyone not to mess with any of you as you where both lethal weapons.None of the punters ever bothered you both after that. He has said that he never put the barmaid right about you both.:eek:
    Was he always like that:evil::hat:

19. koyo

That same barmaid also told me in great detail about "Tommo's" flat and how "his" paintings of samurai were excellent and that "he" played in a group to get enough money to subsidise my training so that I did not need to work and could spend all my time training. She also said it was difficult to imagine me with my head shaved.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I must admit that I did not put her right about that either.And yes he was always "like that.":hat:

regards koyo

20. IAI

IAI Valued Member

I do hope this was a typing error polar bear as the the main people too have "trained" Mike Flynn Shihan were his Sensei T.K Chiba Shihan and Mituzuka Takeshi Sensei.