Aikido in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Amoeba, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

Hello.

Come September I will be moving north of the border to study at the University of Glasgow. I've done a bit of Aikido already, not much, but enough to know I'd like to continue after I've moved.

The university has its own club run by the Scottish Aikido Federation, but the internet tells me there's a couple of other organisations to look at, namely the Yudan Nashi Kan and the Makotokai.

Has anyone had experience with these three? I'm looking for opinions on styles of Aikido, teaching styles/personalities, how welcome a (relative) beginner would be etc. I know that I'll probably need to wait and try them all for myself, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

If you are in Glasgow you should train at Makotokai. There is no better training. They are a great bunch of guys too.

The Bear.

3. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

If I were in Glasgow, I'd be at the Makotokai in a heartbeat.

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Makotokai - unless you want hippy dippy bunny Aikido because you wont see it there. But you wont get a better welcome or teacher anywhere than training under Koyo.

5. ludde

ludde Valued Member

I have noe real experience in either of the Aikido in Glasgow (never been in Glasgow actually), but with the impression that I have through MAP I would take Makotokai. You should visit them all though.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. arctos725

arctos725 Valued Member

I think I am the right person to reply because I practiced in all the three dojos and and worked in Glasgow University.
    You can practice in the university club. The reason is it is very cheap, less than 50 pounds for a year. But I don't think you can learn much if you are not a beginner. You will be suggested to go to Summerston to practice with Holland Shihan. It is not very far away and Holland Shihan looks nice and good technique. But I don't know why not many people want to go there and no weapons training which I think it is very important in aikido.
    One of Yudan Nashi Kan dojo is in Overnewton Street, very near to the university. The training is very strict and very suitable for beginners. I need thank the sensis in this club many of my bad habits were corrected. You can have chance to see Ezra Shihan as well, each year several times. His technique is very solid and effective.
    Makotokai is Sensi Coyle's dojo, Iwama style. I think I am very luck to follow Sensi Coyle even only for several months, very nice person and very patient. People on this dojo are very friendly. The training is hard but it can make you feel you were really practice a martial arts. Many weapons training on this dojo which make the training more interesting.
    There is a kai aikido dojo in Kelvin hall, very near to the campus. But I can't agree with it. It might be because I am not good enough. On google you can find several dojos in Glasgow. You can try and the first time might be free.
    Good Luck and best regards to Koyo.
    Zha

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi Zha

Glad to here you enjoyed your time with us. All at the Makotokai send their regards. below some friendly faces that you may remember.(I could not PM it)

best wishes for your training in China.

regards koyo

This is NOT an advert for Makotokai as has been suggested people should visit as many clubs as possible before making a choice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  8. Makotokai Iwama Koyo?

9. koyo

Hi Vimto

The weapons training in the Makotokai is "Iwama" since I was taught by Morihiro saito shihan. I simply call it aiki ken and jo.

The training is "old school" so there is no politics. The students are encouraged to train wherever (any art) they feel there is something to be gained.

The club is called makoto (sincere) kai (group) aikido riai (complete..effective)

We have no political affiliations.Anyone,any art, is welcome to train with us leaving the politics and personalities at the door.

Most of us have cross trained in other arts.

regards koyo

10. arctos725

arctos725 Valued Member

Dear Koyo,
    Thank you for the photo. I just downloaded two of your videos from youtube. They make me recall the time in your dojo.
    I emailed you (info@makotokai.co.uk) before Xmas with my season greetings and one photo of our present dojo in China. Iwama aikido is absolute new in the mainland of China. Hope you can us your aikido in China in the near future.
    All the best
    Zha

11. koyo

Hi Zha

The photo did not get through perhaps you could PM it to me here at MAP.

Check out the aikido threads .Input from China would be of great interest.

regards koyo

12. Amoeba

Amoeba New Member

Hello.

Thanks all for the info, I think I knew from the outset that the only way I'll find what's best for me is to simply train at each dojo and see how I get on.

That being said though, forewarned is forearmed, so thanks again. Hopefully I'll see some of you later in the year.

13. Xanxicar

Xanxicar New Member

They also do aikido at palace of arts in bellahouston park ( its very close to ibrox / govan area and is on paisley road west).

14. ZORA

ZORA Valued Member

Hello Zha.
    It was nice to hear you enjoyed training with us.How is your training in your home land?

Kind regards to you and your family
    Zora

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  15. koyo

Welcome to MAP Zora..go get'em

regards koyo

16. arctos725

arctos725 Valued Member

Hi Zora welcome to MAP. I am practicing Aikido in Kunming. Too much need to be improved but we are trying our best.
    MAP is a very good place that I can meet many old friends.
    all the best
    Zha

17. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Mokotokai is the best Dojo in Glasgow probably the best in Scotland from it's beginnings at the Habonim in Battlefield to now, they train hard and honest all politics are left at the door all the Sensei wants is for you to train hard and honestly, not many dojos like Makotokai around.

18. ZORA

ZORA Valued Member

hi just back from training with the guys .Did you train with them if so when ?

kind regards zora

19. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Zora..thanks for getting in touch
    Koyo:- have sent you personal email
    Regards

20. koyo

Kokorokai

Youre mention of the Habonim brought back many happy memories.
    I am sure you will recognise the gentleman on my right. A great aikidoka and true friend.

best wishes koyo

Attached Files: