Aikido in a "Real Fight"

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by xplasma, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

All I can tell you is Aikido saved my life in two Real Fights, but I've been doing MA for 2 and a half years.

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Saved your life?

Or stopped you getting a beating - two are very different?

Please explain your post further.

Cheers

3. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

hah, making human pancakes goes against the principle of nonviolence right?

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

From your sig it seems like you are taking a million styles at once -- and in the beggining stages of them all. Insulting (your first post blatantly said "Aikido isn't effective") something that you have no idea about just makes you look stupid.

Questioning is fine. Have you said something like "How does so-and-so work?" would have beeing a question. Saying Aikido sucks because YOU suck at using it is stupid.

PL

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It probably does but you could always argue you didn't push him violently onto the tracks. And the train only squished him cause it was heavy. lol

6. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

YAWN
    Aikido in real fights.. I never get tired of reading this bull****.

Anymore for anymore debate on how effective/ineffective it may or not be ?

Lets drop the "do" part of "Aiki" and start talking MARTIAL for a moment.

While you lot debate the practicality of Aiki, I'll just nip down to my dojo and grab my shibasen bokken and you can debate practicality to that, while I bash it several times on one's forehead.

And if we want to extend the debate to knife fights, you bring the knife and I'll swap my bokken for a shinken, then we'll debate the practicality of Aiki Ken while someone calls for an ambulance.

However, if you want to discuss the application of hand techniques in a "live" situation. Stop waffling on about the perceived ineffectiveness and study it for a while. AIKIDO isn't simply about self defence. I read this and similar debates and frankly the majority of people who start them don't know WTF their talking about. Aikido isn't BJJ but so many people want to compare the two. Aikido isn't a grappling art although some people *think* it is because we practice Osae Waza.

If you thought I was being sarcastic in my opening of my post then you'd be right. If you thought I was being daft, you'd also be right because, and quite frankly this sort of debate isn't worth anything else.

If on the other hand, someone with many years experience came here and posted their thoughts upon the effectiveness of Aikido then I'd welcome that discussion because it would be based upon time served in learning the discipline before making sound judgement on that experience. Not however based upon a mere blink of an eye's worth of practice.
    Jeez that sums it all up in one sentance

Dave

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  7. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Well it been about 6 months now (off and on, when I went back to school, I started up with the local club on campus). I have come to this, The problem I have with Aikido is that the techniques are effective, but you have to pull them off. i don't see these technequies being pulled off without a strike to stun the oponnent.

Also I don't study all these art at once, these are arts I have exprience in, I tend to do 2 or 3 at a time, but I work, to go school, and live at home in 3 different places, so my training got varied in the last 4 years. They why a lot of the them are at the beginning stages, but I been training ninpo for around 4 years and and about half way to Shodan. Most ninpo Dojos take about 6-10 years for Shodan.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  8. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Practice good Atemi Waza, thump em good and often :). An 'accidental' elbow to the chin/ribs/gut, head butt, punch, knee, foot stomp, etc etc. This of course is coming from an Aiki-jujutsu stand point. Not really sure if the implementation of liberal atemi's are frowned upon in the Aikido circle. To me its just a tool to inflict pain to disrupt mental kazushi. Good to see you got back into it and it sounds like you're enjoying it.

9. Sonshu

This is one of the problem area's with Atemi

"To me its just a tool to inflict pain to disrupt mental kazushi"

I am sure you did not post this to sound like it is but they atemi should be done with conviction and should be thrown with enough conviction to END THE FIGHT. In the Aikido schools I have checked out they have been thrown as a opener to the main move which is often far more complicated and the people have never really been hit to know how to react. I STRESS these are from my own findings but to me a strike should be thrown with the conviction of taking the guy out and then you use a technique from perhaps Aikido to take them down if they are still capable of being a threat.

Not just as an opener as this is propper attemi - VIEWS?

10. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Oh I agree whole heartedly. If you're going to use an atemi you better make it count. It would be a waste of time and terribly ineficient if you didnt.

11. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

Remember Aikido is 90% Atemi, although we dont always practice every Striking point avalible to us because we have so much else to consider, but it should always be in our minds evey time we take uke balance or move of line there is something there for all striking arts. also uke should have the same feeling rather than waiting to be thrown so they can practice Aikido, they should always be looking at toris center to find escapes and kaisha waza(counter) As usual this is best done in buki waza aswell

12. Musashi Kyo

Musashi Kyo New Member

I would think seeing the street effectivness of TKD would be alot easier than Aikido. I dont see TKD being ineffective because strikes do hurt and TKD isnt just high roundhouse kicks. Aikido IMO involves a state of mind or attitude thats not offensive etc. Maybe not learning the right technique that should of been done could of been the case in its ineffectivness. Fro example its hard to do hip throw when your opponent doesn't give you the right circumstances.

13. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

Then dont try to use a hip throw. Its also hard to kick someone even below the hip if they are not in the best position. I think to many people want to see Aikido as a fighthing art when it is definatly not. There is abig difference between being a martial artist and a fighter.

14. Sonshu

Kicking someone in the legs

Is far easier than doing a hip throw on them. There are elements of both arts that are usable on the street but I think often both styles suffer from "Rogue Trader" style McDojo's and the good ones amongst you suffer for it.

This is why I am suprised none of these styles have put in a barrier creating a clear difference between the good SD takes on the art and the more sport or martial art's for fun/health type clubs.

This is something I would think could serve to benefit us all.

15. redbull

redbull New Member

first to clarify something aikido roots lies in daito ryu aiki jujitsu.

second is aikido effective well that depends on who u'r fighting if u are fighting an individual or group of individuals who have little or no training in martial arts then yes it is very effective. the reason being is that aikido requires a full commitment or an overextension in the attack of the opponent for u to be able to take advantage of his momentum and most untrained fighters attack in this manner. a trained martial artist simply will not commit enough in an attack for this to happen. For example a haymarket puch is easyy defended by an aikidoka with an irimi nage or kote gaeshi or whatever but a jab, right cross thrown by a boxer is not because the boxers puch retracts and does not leave the boxer off balance. same goes with a reverse punch from a karateka.

Also u must keep in mind that for someone to feel confortable enough to be able to use aikido will take at least 7 to 10 years. In the end aikido is a beautifull art that given the right sircumstance will have some effectiveness in a street fight. but if u want to learn how to fight, and u want to learn fast then u need something else like boxing, judo, bjj, muay thai, or karate to a lesser degree.

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It might take 2 to three years for someone to be confident in using their aikido training in a fight. It certainly shouldn't take any where near 7 to 10 years. It normaly takes 3 to 5 years to become a 1st dan. I would certainly expect a black belt to be confident in their abilities.

How long have you been practicing Aikido redbull?

17. redbull

redbull New Member

i dont currently do aikido, but i did aikido in the past for 2 years. i would not feel comfortable using most of the aikido techniques i learned with an experienced fighter yet.

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

How long it takes to become confident in a fight is realy down to the individual. My estimates in my last post were based on how long it takes to acheive 1st kyu or 1st dan. This obviously varies depending on the dojo and teacher.

Do you mind if I ask why you stopped practicing?

19. Sonshu

Redbull

I would be keen to know a few things about you and this is not to use it as a rod to start beating Aikido students on this forum but for some open discussion?

Height
    Weight
    Previous experience in MA
    Fitness
    Strength level

Also I would be keen to know if you think what the 2 years you did if it would help you against someone who did not grab your wrist or lapel or do an over done punch or shuto. This is again not to cause a flame war but for honest open discussion.

Hope you can help?

20. redbull

redbull New Member

i was doing aikido, and judo at the same time and did not have the time . so i decided to stick to judo because i get a better workout and i find it more effective.