Aikido in a "Real Fight"

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by xplasma, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Floorismyfriend

Floorismyfriend New Member

So aikido has eye gouging techniques or groin punching?
    Because other than those 2 things I am pretty sure aikido would be legal in the ring.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Small joint locks are banned and there are rules concerning excessive avoidance.

So there goes one of the main principles and a good portion of the techniques.

Colin

3. Floorismyfriend

Floorismyfriend New Member

In the early ufc the only thing that was banned was eye gouging.
    Groin and small joints where all legit targets. Even then aikido never sucessfully surfaced.

4. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

maybe tells you more about the mindset

of the aikidoka?

avoiding conflict sure seems like a correct and valid use of aikido - seeking conflict goes against the mindset of the aikidoka.

that of course doesn't mean that his techniques are useless or ineffective. it just means that he chooses to avoid a fight rather than pick one.

also, I'm getting pretty bored stating that the thread concerns aikido in a so-called 'real fight'. I have used it to successfully defend myself in a real fight situation. Thus proveth the thought. It works. I haven't entered a UFC fight despite holding an instructors qualification and having many years of mma practice. why? because the idea just doesn't float my boat. does that then make my skills and knowledge useless compared to a jujitsu exponent? maybe it does to you but I beg to differ.

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Neither did JKD, Tang Soo Do, Capoeira, Tae Bo, Viet Vo Dao, Wing Chun, Eskrima ans countless others.

What's UFC got to do with the thread?

6. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Could you tell us about your real use

of the style as I know someone was asking if anyone had used it on another Aikido thread.

What was the senario please?

7. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

8. Sonshu

Interesting and glad you are ok!

I like the footwork from Aikido and don't get me wrong I just feel the art would benefit so much more in other schools from adding strong strikes and kicks as well.

Kicks for me are a good point and suprised the art does not adapt to include this???

9. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

I agree with you on that score

I too feel that stronger kicks and strikes should be more prevalant in aikido schools. I am lucky in that I have been taught to finish an opponent with said powerful disabling strikes.

Guess at the end of the day it comes down to the instructor (doesn't it always) to add that to his curriculum.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Re: Interesting and glad you are ok!

I love the footwork.

Strong strikes and kicks generally run counter to the goal of aikido; hence, they are not popular. However, when an aikido entry succeeds, the uke/attacker/opponent often ends up within striking range of a knee. Go ahead and throw it. On the flip side, ordinary traditional aikido does have defenses against kicks. I haven't seen them very often in my schools and seminars, and I really don't know why that is.

11. Sonshu

Which is a shame

Much of the traditional teaching has been lost so many more experienced Aikido people tell me.

I know its not the way of Aikido but if it works then do it, this is my simple view of things as if the other person is able to use kicks then I should etc.

12. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

My real life scenario was an attempted mugging on a subway platform. Guy approached me holding a small knife up to me at chest level and proceeded to pressure me up against the wall. I circled away from the wall, parried his knife hand away with my right, spun in a tenkan movement and ended up with a good grip on his knife hand - knife and all. I stepped out and cranked his wrist back very hard in a kotegaeshi movement and the pressure must have made him let go of the knife. But he was fighting back and was swaying his body back around to punch me with his free hand. I ended up eating a few on the head before circling away from his punches and dragged him by the wrist downwards to the ground and then up into sankyo. He was trying to free his hand but I hit him in the face and I wrapped my right hand around his head pulling it towards me while throwing him forward. He missed his step over the edge of the platform and crashed onto the tracks. I kicked the knife away to the other side of the tracks and there were people up in the front of the station that were just sitting there stunned I guess. A few guys thought it was amusing at first and they were asking me "oh sh*t, you ok man??"...someone called out to the token clerk to get the police. The assailant fell hard and smashed his leg on the tracks and had to be helped up by some guys. but nevertheless I was just defending myself, at least that's what I told the cops when they arrived so I wasn't charged with any aggravated assault. It was different story for the mugger. He wasn't a textbook uke but somehow I neutralized his attack.

13. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

as long as you are ok

at least what you knew saved you and unfortunately those pesky attackers just don't seem to play like a standard club-issue uke ;)

14. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

yah...I dunno how I did it but it was pretty frightening when I look back because a knife was involved. I walked away with scratches and a bruise on my forehead. I could have been stabbed and I was at best gokyu at the time.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Hmm this is an old thread I know but I'm new here and i can't pass this one by.

Personaly i thought Nimpo and Ninjutsu or Ninjitsu ... whatever were created by the Ninja. Who were a counter culture in Japan to the Samurai. However most Ninja were infact disafected or outcast Samurai forced to live in secrecey.

So to end my pointless post ... you trained for a month ... ok and in that time you attended how many classes? See you waisted your time back then just like I'm wasting mine now ... ok I'm done

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Nicolo you're meant to wait until a train is passing before you execute the dump-em-on the tracks technique.

17. korutsuki

korutsuki New Member

TO you Xplasma,
    A hunter who runs for the both rabbits neither catches one!! Even if Hatsumi sensei heard ur first topic sure will be in shame !! u humiliated ninpo, aikido and more than that the spirit of Martial art!!
    U r a qurrelsome person,definitley!!

18. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

so by not accepting an art with blind faith and asking questions about it, is an insult. sure....., it is ok korustuki, don't cry it going to be ok.

19. korutsuki

korutsuki New Member

Xplasma, dont misunderstand me!! faith means everything !! may be one day u will be one of the greatest fighter!! !!
    If u think I insulted u !! forgive me !! may be I have a bad soul!!

20. Sonshu

It is right to question an art

This is how we keep things live and moving.