Aikido in a "Real Fight"

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by xplasma, Jun 17, 2003.

1. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

i used aikido in a street fight and got a rear naked choke on my attacker.

i grabbed my attacker's wrist, pulled him towards me, he lost his balance and had to make up for it by stepping forward as i stepped forward and i found myself behind him since he was facing me sideways; i got the rear naked choke on him right there. it lasted two seconds. just sayin'.

this is stuff you practice as a joke in the dojo, but it works like a charm in the real world.

btw, i trained in judo, aikido, bjj, thai kickboxing, some mma stuff, have little moves from just about everywhere i might use in a real bad sitch.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I find the series of accounts you present pretty improbable, but taken at face value...sure why not?

You say "trained in" - define that term please

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The vast majority of "real fights" fall into the category of 'social match fighting' in public. They are, as they were for our primitive ancestors, commonly a matter of pride, property, or access to females.
    The fact is that you try to hop into a forum which has a several people who know quite a bit about combatives, crime stats, and self defence, to try to display how knowledgeable you are while showcasing the exact opposite; ignorance of the basics of human conflict.

Even if you happened to survive a knife fight that doesn't make you an expert in anything. I have friends and friends of friends who survived Afghanistan but that doesn't make them Generals or master war tacticians.

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I'm no authority on Aikido, and Koyo has sadly passed away. Read his posts to learn about Aikido from "the real deal". He was an Aikidoka who used it in some rough places working with troubled youth IIRC.

However, from what I've heard, Aikido works well as an adjunct to highly skilled JJJ or Judo practitioners, but it's not so good for the mythical "real fight" if you don't have a good base in to build on. My Judo sensei has an Aikido background FWIW and it shows in a good way. Apparently the old school Aikidoka were already legit jujutsuka/judoka when they started training it back in the day. Any truth to that?

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Some. Shioda was already a judo black belt but most of Ueshiba's students initially already had decent ranking in karate, judo, etc.

The saying from Ueshiba is that aikido is 90% atemi. In a big way aikido techniques are like wing chun trapping; incidental from contact. They don't work if they are forced but flow from contact while striking, being struck, or being grabbed. I have always found that saying to hold true and that aikido techniques to work best as an auxiliary to striking.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I've mentioned this before. I believe the 90% atemi reference is in the form of a metaphor. 90/10% is a common metaphor for the amount of an iceberg that is below/above the waterline. The part above being the 10% visible part and the other 90% being the hidden (below the waterline). The metaphor is used in all aspects of ways, such as telling an athlete that 90% of what they do is mental, etc.

These hidden aspects are the secret to the success of many training methods. 90% atemi could mean that the atemi in Aikido is hidden in such a way that it is integrated and part of all of Aikido, not easily seen as a separate element. The other 10% is the overt or easily seen separations.

A lot of people spend time in the overt or visible elements where atemi and other technique can be seen as separate elements. They think this is Aikido because it is what they can see with their own eyes. Never looking deeper than this.

Diving deeper into technique, atemi exists as little or as much as necessary, no set percentage. It is always present, yet not always revealed. This hidden atemi is one of the secrets of Aikido or pretty much all Jujutsu, IMHO.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  7. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

buying books on brazilian jiu jitsu and using a pillow to roll with.

8. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

you wanna see my belts or my gi patch ? you wanna see my trophies ?

btw, how many trophies do you have ?

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So what's your training background fortunado?

People general are interested in how long and who you studied under.

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

This is the last warning in this thread. fortunado, if you continue to post stupid replies and refuse to answer questions you will be banned.

11. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

are you trying to harass me ? i mean, do you know who i am, like did you get that information from someone harassing me, persecuting me, and making people side against me ? just look at the color of your statement, like you're deliberately trying to start something instead of making a constructive comment about what i said. ( i'm normally this defensive because my instincts don't work and i'm generally slow to pick things up. )

now, if you wanna have a discussion, we can do that, but if all you wanna do is start a ruckus over nothing; we can do that, too.

how can you not see by the way you made your statement that it wasn't loaded with innuendo casting a sly aspersion at me, for what, i don't know.

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

This is a martial arts discussion forum, not a role playing game. If you can't handle someone asking you about your training history, you should probably just move along.

13. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

When I want a plumber or electrician, I make sure that, that individual is certified red seal or equivalent. If I want a doctor or dentist I make sure they received their education from a reputable institutions. If I'm looking for a tattoo artist I look for area of apprenticeship and possible competition.

All these things give a level of credibility. Same goes with MA, your sharing advice, people want to know where that advice came from, who you trained with.

14. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

how do i get banned from this site ? it's totally worthless because of people like you doing what you're doing to me right now. don't act like you don't know what i'm talking about given the way you approached my rejoinder without criticizing the person who made a reply to one of my earlier comments.

at least being banned is following bushido.

15. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

ban me.

how do i get banned from this site ? it's totally worthless because of people like you doing what you're doing to me right now. don't act like you don't know what i'm talking about given the way you approached my rejoinder without criticizing the person who made a reply to one of my earlier comments.

at least being banned is following bushido.

16. embra

embra Valued Member

Keep going as you are currently, and your wishes will be fulfilled.

17. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Fortunado, you're overreacting. You were only asked how long you trained in which style and who your teachers were. It's a normal question. You listed a lot of styles. I'm also curious to know what your main one is, for example. How long have you been training in each? This is a MA forum, what's wrong about asking how and what you trained in? We're just curious where your experience comes from, nothing else...

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Take some personal responsibility fortunado. If you don't want to be here, then stop posting. You don't NEED to be banned if you aren't enjoying it here. You've been asked to provide some accountability for your statements. That's all. Again, that's personal responsibility. But if you feel this isn't what you're looking for in an internet forum, then no hard feelings. Just stop posting. Fair enough?

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Even those with credibility may start off that way but can turn sour and disappointed amongst their peers

20. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

True, but at least it's a base line. Even if you have a world renowned instructor, that doesn't mean you are going to be awesome. All it means is that you have access to good knowledge. If you don't put in the work, it will be meaningless.

We know Hannibals lineage and his level of experience. I could go train with Hannibal year round 5 days a week. But if all I do is watch and limply throw my hands around. I won't learn anything, I won't improve, I will probably get my ass kicked and most likely asked to leave. Bottom line is you need to put in the effort.

But if I work hard and have a good instructor the hope is I will become a good martial artist.